Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 2 – Spirit Controlled Life The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 2: (October 16 – October 22, 2016)

The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 2: (October 16 – October 22, 2016)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Spirit Controlled Life – Week 2 Forum

e08ab5948d21487bbe78ee89e22cec35grypsius-yszjb-342

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, Spirit Controlled Life course Week 2 Forum.  We are going to have an exciting time this week digging deeper and deeper into the Word of God.  For this week’s forum answer the following question:

QUESTION:   

1) There is a difference between the Gift of the Spirit and the Fruit of the Spirit? Explain in its entirety the difference between the two?  According to the following scriptures, 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 and Romans 12:6-8.

No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  Enjoy!!!!!

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

The Gifts of the Spirit are given to those who have a desire for them to operate in the body of Christ. We have to desire them, believe, and then ask for them. The word of wisdom, word of knowledge, discerning of spirits, faith, gifts of healing, working of miracles, tongues, interpretation of tongues, and divers kinds of tongues do not operate on our terms, we can’t manifest them as we please. These gifts manifest in the body of Christ at the will of the Holy Spirit, He determines the time of their operation (1 Cor. 12:11). We can’t control these gifts, we can only yield ourselves to be used by the Spirit for the edification of the body of Christ. All these gifts are not present in any one believer. As the scripture states in 1Corinthians 12:8-10 “for to one is given…to another…to another”, the gifts are not all reserved for one person.
      However, the Fruits of the Spirit are present in all of the children of God. We are the ones who have to stir up the gifts within us (2Tim.1:6), build up ourselves in our most holy faith and praying in the Holy Ghost (Jude 20). This helps us to cultivate (develop a quality or skill) all the fruits of the Spirit that dwell in every believer, which we are able to operate as we will. The more we use the fruit of love, the more love grows…the more we use the fruit of kindness, the more kindness grows, and its the same for all nine fruits. Every branch that bears fruit….brings forth more fruit (John 15:2).
      Additionally, all the Gifts of the Spirit are all supernatural, while the Fruits of the Spirit are all natural. The Fruits of the Spirit changes our character so that we can become more and more like Jesus (Rom. 8:29).

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Great points Ezrikah! I particularly love how you have identified a few ways to cultivate our fruits. Another way I would like to mention is checking our own fruit. We are experts on checking fruits of others and that is great because that is what the Lord wants us to do (Matt 7:20).  I would like to also point out that we should also be experts in checking our own fruit.

One day, I decided to check my fruit and felt that my fruit should be more developed than what I noticed. One of the things I did was look up the word cultivate. One of the meanings is “to loosen or break up the soil”. For me, that meant I had to get to the down and dirty, I had to get in the trenches, and I had to get to the root of the problem if I wanted this thing to grow strong and healthy. It also meant for me that I had to assess my own situation or my own soil and not be concerned with someone else’s. I had to be completely honest about my situation and ask God for help because I simply could not do it on my own. I then had to be obedient to His instructions and give Him thanks always. This has helped me tremendously and I am excited to see good fruit in my life!

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Hi Pamesha,
        It was never my intent to imply that we are to focus on the fruits of others and neglect to examine our own. I am in no way ignorant of the fact that His word says that we are to examine ourselves. Trust, I’ve not excluded myself from the we 😉
        Just like you, I do feel that my fruits should be more developed than they are, seeing how long I’ve been a part of the body of Christ. But like many, I was a part of the body, but I was inactive and not growing in the things of God. You’re right, there’s no way we can do this on our own, we need God’s help every step of the way. Soo happy that we are all on this journey together, growing in Christ together 🙂

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with sister Ezrikah what helps to cultivate the fruits of the spirit is to keep using them. The more we use each individual fruit that fruit will grow and the believer will ultimately developing into a Son of God.  Love +Joy + Peace + Long suffering+ Gentleness+ Goodness + Faith+ Meekness +Temperance= Sons of God =Christians.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Sis Ezrikah, bear in mind that the fruit of the Spirit and the Gifts of the Spirit is all supernatural spiritually. I have to be in the spirit to walk in love with the seemingly unlovable, that fruit of love is with-in me by the Holy Spirit giving me the drive to love that person. I can never do it naturally. God command us to love the unlovable, so he equip us with the Holy Spirit within to cultivate all that’s needed to live a victorious life.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

I definitely agree with you Lilly, many times the flesh wants to pay that person back who hurts you; however, the only way we can love that person–is through the love of God.  That is why it is so important to be quick to forgive and pray for those that persecute you.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Hi Sister Aska it is always a pleasure to read your thread; however, I would like to make a correction if I may. You stated, “Additionally, all the Gifts of the Spirit are all supernatural, while the Fruits of the Spirit are all natural.” I would like to point out that it is not the Fruits of the Spirit–it is however, the Fruit (without the s) of the Spirit and they are not natural. It is the Holy Spirit that bears the fruit–a plant produces after its own kind. The Holy Spirit dwells within us, so we naturally produce the fruit of the Spirit. In John 15:2, “Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit he takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.” A plant needs to be cared by a gardener and our Father is our Gardener. He prune every branch that bears fruit, so it will even more fruitful.  In other words, to bear fruit you have to renounce and turn from the fruit of the flesh, because you belong to Christ and have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts. According to John 12:24, and Galatians 2:20, ” A seed cannot bear fruit unless it first falls into the ground and dies. I confess that I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; not not I, but Christ lives in me. And the life that I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Thank you both  Lilly and Pamela for correcting me on the Fruit of the Spirit….greatly appreciated. Like the word says, iron sharpens iron😉  Thanks again.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Sister Ezra, I just wanted to add that we do have to help to cultivate the fruit it’s a choice–and truth be told, at least for me, many times I have chosen to take matters into my own hand because I felt God was taking too long and that is operating in the flesh.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

Mrs. Aska I completely agree with you. The fruits of the spirit are like muscles….The more you use them, the more they grow. Ignore them and shrink away. I believe this is what paul ment in Ephesians 6:10 when he told the church to be strong in the Lord. He wants us to focus on developing our godly character, anything else we may need, he will provide….Thank You Daddy.

Pamesha Perez
      Participant

The gift of the Spirit is a manifestation of the Spirit that is given to every man to profit withal (1 Cor 12:7). These gifts are evidence that we have been baptized by the Holy Spirit and that God has given us His power so we can stimulate faith in non-believers. The fruit of the Spirit is the character of God that every believer receives upon salvation. These fruits are evidence that we are conducting ourselves in a way that is pleasing and acceptable to God because it is His nature that He has given to us (Mat 7:16).

There are nine gifts of the Spirit and they are: the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, the discerning of Spirits, the gift of special Faith, the working of miracles, the gift of healing, prophecy, divers kinds of tongues, and interpretation of tongues.  There are nine fruits of the Spirit and they are: love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. No believer operates in all of the gifts of the Spirit; the Lord divides to every man severally as He will. All believers have all the fruits of the Spirit and should be cultivating them to full maturity.

Some gifts of the Spirit are greater than others; the word of wisdom being the greatest gift and the interpretations of tongues being the least gift. No fruit of the Spirit is greater than the other; however all of the fruits can be summarized by love. Love is the greatest commandment because God is love. God is more concerned with us exemplifying His fruits than His gifts (Mat 7:22-23).

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Hi Pamesha,
        I didn’t even think on that comparison!! You’re soo right, it does mention that we’re to desire the best gifts when it comes to the Gifts of the Spirit, but it doesn’t say for us to desire the best fruits when speaking on the Fruits of the Spirit…good call!! I do agree that all the fruits are fulfilled in Love. Because of the fruit of love in operation in our lives, we are going to be joyful, peaceful, longsuffering, gentle, kind, meek, and have temperance and faith. I’m thinking that love is the key to walking in all the Fruits of the Spirit. I better get on the move on developing my love walk!! 😉

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Amen Ezrikah! Everything God does for us and to us is because He loves us. He gave is His only Son because He loves us. He shows us mercy and forgiveness because He loves us. He blesses us because He loves us. Hallelujah!

When Jesus was asked which is the greatest commandment, He said we should love our God with all our heart, and with our soul, and with all our mind. The second is to love our neighbor as ourself (Matt 22:36- 39). God loves us and wants us to love others the way He loves us and we love Him. God is love and love covers a multitude of sins (1Peter 4:8).

I am also stepping my love game up so we can stand in faith together. I believe if we work on cultivating our love fruit first,  then the other fruits will grow with it because the love fruit is grafted in the others so to speak. Once our love game is strong, it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to bear anything but good fruit. Glory to God!

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Ezrikah, I wholeheartedly apologize if it appears that I said you left out that we should check our own fruit or that you are ignorant of the fact of checking it. You made such great points and I was simply adding to it for discussion sake.

My personality is not to always say I agree with something and regurgitate what the original poster said. I try to add different points of view or discuss my personal experiences in the forum. That is all. In my humble opinion,  it helps keep the discussions interesting and engaging.

I think everyone in our class have such great minds and I enjoy learning from each and everyone. However please know that when I add to what someone is saying or even oppose, it is not with a critical spirit.  Peace be to you.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

No need to apologize, I just wanted to let you know that it wasn’t my intention to come off as though a self check wasn’t needed, I misinterpred. If any apology is necessary, it should come from me sis. I apologize, and I do appreciate your response.

Donna Riley
        Participant

It is good Pamesha and Ezrikah that you both are discussing self-evaluation.  This is an important step to maturity. We all need to know where we are in our level of maturity in order to take the next step.  Growing is a painful process like giving birth, but once we see the end results, it is an achievement that will always cause us to smile, be proud and be grateful to our Father for taking the time out to help us improve ourselves.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Yes Ma’am….I agree, very insightful and elloquently stated..but I do believe, like the gifts, they are written specifically in that order for a reason….In 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 Paul starts off with wisdom and ends with interpretations…Listing them from greatest to least…In my opinion Galations 5:22 does the same thing…they are listed in this order because they are like steps….see each fruit builds upon the other…our faith which leads us to accept God as our personal savior starts the process…first, we must manifest love for God and others….this leads to joy, which is where we find our strength…then comes a peace, knowing our joy can’t be taken…that leads to longsuffering enduring hardship without loosing joy or peace….then comes gentleness “a compassionate approach towards others weaknesses and limitations”…followed by goodness ” Moral Exellence”…and lastly it leads right back to faith, but by this time its unshakeable…much different than the one we started with. Also it states in Mark 22:37-38 Love is the first and greatest commandment. Again in Revalations the Lord commands one of the churchs to ” Go back to thier first “Love”, or thier first love, which is God. 1John 4:8…for God is Love. Making love the greatest and most important fruit of all fruit. As you so beautifully stated all the orhers hinge upon this one.</p>

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

1st Cor. 12:7-11- “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal”. for to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another the faith by the same spirit; to another the gift of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another diverse kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues. But all these worketh that one and the self-same Spirit dividing to every man severally as he wills.

The Gift of the Spirit is given freely to each believer, as the Spirit wills. Believer’s who is earnestly desiring to do the will of God and to seek the purpose God has for his life. The Gifts of the Spirit is given to the body of Christ to exhort, edify and comfort one another in the things concerning the kingdom, the ministry, family and the world. It is not given to be use for your own purpose or to profit one’s own agenda. When the Gift of the Spirit is being given, there is no difference among the believers, that can be seen in the natural, but the Spirit sees our earnest desire of our hearts  to be use of God and he gives the Gifts as he wills. The word  of wisdom, word of knowledge, discerning of spirits, gifts of special faith, working of miracles, gifts of healing, diverse kind of tongues, interpretation of tongues and prophecy is available to every believer, but is given as the spirit searches our hearts he gives the gifts as he wills. The Gift of the Spirit is not for us to try and gain anything for our own profit, but for the whole church. Some believers in the church operate prophecy, speaking in tongues, interpretation  tongues, some receive a word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discerning of spirits. some operate in the gifts of special faith, working of miracles and gifts of healings, but all these gift age give as the spirit wills.

The fruits of the spirit are promises we inherited by the Spirit, through faith, the moment we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour.  Romans 5:22 – The fruits of the Spirit is Love, Joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance; against such there is no law.  The Spirit that dwells within us helps us to cultivate, operate and practice walking in the fruits of the spirit, when we encounter trials, situations and circumstances in our every day life. This forces us to practice, develop and walk in the fruits of the Spirit, by reading the word, praying in our heavenly language, spending time in fellowship with our father, and when we assemble together in the house of the lord.

What is the difference between the Gifts of the Spirit and the Fruit of the Spirit? The Gift of the Spirit is freely given as the Spirit wills to every believer, that we may operate and earnestly yield our spirit to be use by God. This gift is for edifying, exhorting and comforting the church. Believers who earnestly desire to do the will of god and to find out what the purpose of his life  concerning the kingdom and the ministry. It is not for one own agenda.

Now the Fruits of the Spirit are promises given to us through god’s word and when we accepted Jesus. The Fruits of the Spirit that is already in us, by the indwelling presence of god by faith, are nurtured when practice using the fruits, as we go through trial, situations, circumstances in a daily basis.

Even though the Gift of the Spirit and the Fruits of the Spirit are operational in the life of a believer by the same spirit, there are different functions, manifestations, revelations, of each of the eighteen (18) gifts  being operated in the life of the believer.

Marita Smith
      Participant

The gifts of the spirit word of wisdom, word of knowledge, gift of faith, gifts of healing, working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, divers kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues is given to every believer as the holy spirit will. These gifts can only operate in our lives only if we desire for them to operate in our lives. In 1Corinthians 12:31 states that we are to covet earnestly the best gifts, not for our personal use or just looking out for self, but to be a blessing unto others.These gifts are given to every believer to edify, exhort, encourage, and bring comfort to the hearer.

The fruits of sprit love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, peace, meekness, and temperance the word of God says against such there is no law. When we receive Jesus as our Lord and saviour we inherit the fruits of the spirit, Jesus is our example this is what his life exemplifies walking in all nine gifts of the fruit. We are to be imitators of him and do likewise because we have been adopted into his sonship as he is so are we. It’s our responsibility as believers to cultivate and develop these fruits in our every day lives, so as we face situations, circumstances or trials that one of these fruits will not enable us to overcome.

The difference between the gifts of the spirit and the fruits of the spirit is that the gifts of the spirit are given to every man severally as the holy spirit will to exhort, build up, edify, bring comfort and encourage the church.The fruits of the spirit are inherited and must be cultivated which will require time and effort, also spending time in the word of God and praying in our most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost. Spiritual development is a process that should never stop, and God will give the increase.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Hi Marita,
        I’ve read my post and those of my classmates, and when I read yours something was made clear to me that I didn’t see before. The Gifts of the Spirit are for the building up of the body of Christ, while the Fruits of the Spirit are for individual development. One set is for others and the other is for personal growth. Thanks, you and Pamesha opened up my eyes with your postings.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Sister Donna you are so right when you say that the Holy Spirit makes the decision concerning the giving of the gifts of the spirit and when we are to receive those gifts. I am so proud to know that my fellow students and I are getting a greater understanding of God’s word, the Holy Spirit and the different functions that he operates in. Which will bless us as we mature in our journey in this Christian life.

I concur with your statement that when he fruits of the spirit is cultivated within the lives of the believer, we learn to love more, be more joyful, to forgive more, to be kinder to one another, be patient in more things, be more peaceful and to endure longsuffering, when we cultivate, develop and walk in the fruits of the Spirit.
        Gal 5:16. This I say then, walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Sis. Marita, I agree that it is our responsibility to cultivate these fruits. Since this class, I have found myself cultivating these fruits. I’m very adamant about walking in the fruit of the spirit, as I really understand the victory we receive by producing these fruit. All of them is rewarding. My desire is to flow in the gift of the spirit, but more so, to walk in the fruit of the spirit. like the scripture I shared on my post, those believers were flowing in all of the gifts, still, God said, “depart from me I never knew you. Wow, sis we have to do this thing together!

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Marita. I agree with you that the gifts of the spirit are the word of knowledge,word of wisdom,gifts of faith,the gifts of healing ,work of miracles,prophecy. If someone don’t have this he or she will not bear fruits which are the fruit of the spirit which are joy ,love ,peace ,long suffering you are right with what you say

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Sister Marita, it’s so true that spending time with Him and praying in the Holy Ghost cultivates the fruits of the spirit. In trials and tribulations one or more of those fruits will assist us in dealing with the situation. It is so awesome to not unravel or lose our bearings when a traumatic situation arises.  Glory to God, for what great things He has done!!

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

There is a difference between the Gifts of the Spirit and the Fruit of the Spirit. When we look at 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 and Romans 12:6-8 and compare them with the Fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23 the difference is clear. The Spirit gives each believer their own individual spiritual gifting according to His will and as it pleases Him. No one is going to receive all of the Spiritual Gifts. On the other hand, every believer has the Fruit of the Spirit deposited in them when they accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and receive the Holy Spirit. Each believer received all of the Fruit of the Spirit, which is the character of God, and it is up to each believer to develop all of the Fruit so that we can better reflect His image and likeness.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Hi Sister Stacy,

The responses to the forum questions are very interesting and very informative. It reminds me of the story in the bible in Acts 2:1-4. When the Holy Spirit came upon the Jesus’s disciples like a cloven fire and they spoke in other tongues as the spirit give them utterance. In this forum, all of the student seem to be in one accord in the spirit, with the understanding of the differences between the gifts of the holy spirit and the fruits of the spirit. We all have come to a better understanding about the gifts, their functions and the purpose of these gifts, the interpretation concerning the body of Christ and as believer’s individually. Praise God for his word.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

STACY.Yes you are right when you say the spirit give every believer their own gifts which lives on the inside of us all. But without the gifts of spirit we will never bring the fruit of the spirit out when we should be loving, and gentleness or any other fruits of the spirits.

Rhonda
        Participant

Stacy, I am so thankful that God saw it fit to give each believer all of the Fruit of the Spirit, His character. Like any good fruit we must continue to nurture and develop it. However, from God’s perspective it is not a matter of one or the other, He wants us to desire both the fruit of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit. The Bible says, “Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 14:10).”

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

The gift of the spirit is for outward manifestation, whereas, the fruit of the spirit is to build character. Let’s clarify the both of them by mean of “gifts” verses “Fruit. In James 1:17 stated, “Every good gift and every good and perfect gift comes from above, and comes down from the Father of lights.” In 1Corinthians 12:8-10 there we can find all nine gifts, God is the one that divided to every man severally as He will. We can’t do anything to earn these gifts, all we are admonish to do is to covet earnestly the best gifts. They are given to us freely; all we have to do is receive them. These gifts always bring edification, exhortations, or comfort to the Saints, confirming the Word of God
      However, when you think about a fruit, think about a mango tree, it started out bearing small fruit, as the days go by the fruits get bigger, why? The tree is getting cultivated which increase the growth of the fruit allowing them to grow bigger. If no one water or nurture that mango tree it will not bear any fruit, it would die, not bearing or producing anything. Same with the fruit of the spirit in Gal 5:22-23, these fruit have to be cultivated in order for us to create the fruit like character of Jesus.
      What we have to bear in mind is that God is coming back for a Church that possess His nature. It doesn’t matter whether or not you flow in the gifts of the spirit or not, cultivating the fruit of the spirit within you will allow you to possess the nature of Christ. In Matthew 7:22-23 stated, “Man will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have I not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your Name?” He then declared to them, I never knew you: depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.” This is deep, it’s good to desire the gifts, however it is imperative that you cultivate and grow the fruits, which allow you to activate Christ like character, captivating His own nature.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Lilly,
        I love your example of using a mango tree to show how it relates to cultivating the Fruits of the Spirit!!! For those of us who love these or any other fruits, we can definitely relate!!! No water, sun, or soil equals no fruit….no time in the word, no putting it into practice, no leading by the Spirit equals no fruits of the Spirit growing on our trees. Great illustration Lilly!!

Donna Riley
        Participant

You are right Lilly, that’s why in the NLT Bible in Mathew 7:21-23, Jesus denies those who He does not know. He didn’t know them because they could not be identified by the Fruits of the Spirit. “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves. … A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions,” (Mathew 7: 15-20 NLT).  Having the Gifts of the Spirit does not ensure entrance into Heaven for even Satan can perform miracles. Jesus said “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’  But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ (Mathew 7:21-23 NLT)

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Sis Donna, I like the statement you made concerning “God could not identify the fruits of the spirit in them so He denied their existence.” God only see sons through Jesus, He is looking for Christ-like nature, people that possess the spirit of God with-in.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Great point Lily this puts me in mind of Holy Spirit within and Holy Spirit upon the more we cultivate our fruits we get great fruits manifestations.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I also like sister Lily’s analogy of a tree bearing small fruit watering it, singing to it , providing it with fertilizer and it to grows big and strong. This is cultivating it.  Ultimately, producing the desired outcome and for the believer this desired outcome is  becoming Christlike. Characteristics to becoming a Son of God.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Excellent point Lilly, God is the one who divides the fruits of the spirit to every man severally as he will, and that we can’t do anything to earn them. Like you said the same way we nurture and care for a fruit tree when we plant it, it’s the same way we have to develop and cultivate the fruits that’s already on the inside of us; that we can possess on our heavenly father’s nature and character to become more like him.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Lilly, I agree with you when you said, “We have to bear in mind that god is coming back for a church that possess His nature. It doesn’t matter whether or not you flow in the gifts of the spirit or not, cultivating the fruit of the spirit within you will allow you to possess the nature of Christ. In Matthew 7:22-23 stated, ‘Man will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord have I not prophesied in your name, cast out demons in your name, and done many wonders in your name?’ He then declared to them, I never knew you depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness?”

There is a saying “When you know better, you do better.”  In my opinion, the beauty of unraveling God’s truth is being obedient or doing what seems to be hard at the time because the Word says so.  As I look back on my faith walk, I could never in a million years take credit for who I have become and I am still a work in progress.  I remember when the Holy Spirit was working with me on the fruit of patient– it felt like all hell break loose and attacked me and for me being hot-tempered didn’t help the situation much. The Holy Spirit would warned me ahead of time not to open my mouth and guess what I failed so many times–eventually I learned little by little. I have not arrived but thank God I am not where I use to be because of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.  The reason I brought that up is because so many of us as believers are in denial–we believe we can continue to worship at God’s temple and refuse to cultivate fruit–Woe! to that person.

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

The difference between The Gift of the Spirit and the Fruit of The Spirit is that the Gift of the Spirit are Special Abilities giving to the believer by the 3<sup>rd</sup> person, The Trinity; The Holy Ghost for the purpose of building up the body of Christ.  According to the KJV 1 Corinthians 12: 11 the Gift of the Spirit are word of wisdom, word of knowledge, discerning of spirits, faith, gifts of healing, working of miracles, interpretation of tongues, divers kinds of tongues, and prophesy. The way Believers get these Gifts to manifest is they must Believe, Desire and Ask.  Believers receive different Gifts that operate differently through them and these Gifts operate on various levels and anointing based on the calling of the believer.   There are 9 Gifts of the Spirit divided into 3 sets of manifestations.  They are Revelation, Power and Vocal; under revelation something is being revealed by Wisdom, knowledge or discerning of spirits. Under Power a believer could manifestation working of Miracles, Healing and Special Gift of Faith. Under Vocals a believer can manifest the Spiritual Gift of Divers kinds of tongues, the interpretation of tongues and Prophesy.

The Fruit of the Spirit are Present in <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>All</span> of the children of God. It is a biblical term that sums up the nine visible attributes of a true Christians life.   The characteristics are According to Galatians 5:22-23; Love, Joy, Peace, Long suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness and Temperance.  These are not to be picked or chosen. They are to be cultivated collectively and applied to a believer’s new life in order for a believer to truly have a new life and to be called a Son of God / A Christian.

I agree with sister Ezrikah what helps to cultivate the fruits of the spirit is to keep using them. The more we use each individual fruit that fruit will grow and the believer will ultimately developing into a Son of God.  Love +Joy + Peace + Long suffering+ Gentleness+ Goodness + Faith+ Meekness +Temperance= Sons of God =Christians.

I also like sister Lily’s analogy of a tree bearing small fruit watering it, singing to it , providing it with fertilizer and it to grows big and strong. This is cultivating it.  Ultimately, producing the desired outcome and for the believer this desired outcome is  becoming Christlike. Characteristics to becoming a Son of God.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Denise, “These are not to be picked or chosen” from your post put me in mind of something else. I understood the context in which you wrote it but it also reminded me that we can’t pick and choose which fruit we are going to cultivate and which we are not. I think that each of us have a personality that lends itself more readily to a particular fruit and that fruit is easier for us to work on and develop. However, we can let the areas that we struggle in lay dormant. Sometimes it can be hard to work on developing all of the fruit at the same time. I’m going to start with the one I picked from the assignment and work on another one next.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Well Denise in a way we can pick the fruits we want to cultivate. In the beginning part of this same chapter it tells us that we are not to be conformed to this world: but to be yet transformed by the renewing of your mind. Which tells me if I want to produce greatness this is what I have to do to get what is good and acceptable and perfect. So if I want mangoes I would have to study how to get sweet mangoes by putting all that I study about mangoes in and I will produce sweet fruits. So if I want these fruits of the spirit Love, Joy, peace , longsuffing, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, and Temperance it tells me I must spend time renewing my mind and I will pick of these fruits that are good.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Denise I totally agree with you that if we want the gifts of the spirit to be manifested in our lives we have to first believe, ask and desire them. I also agree that the gifts are used differently in each person, but it’s as the spirit will. These gifts are not to be used for our personal use or gain, but to build up, edify, encourage and bring comfort to the church.

Donna Riley
      Participant

The Gifts of the Spirit are gifts that are given to every believer.  The gift that is given to the believer is chosen by God.  He makes the decision on who gets which gift and when they are to receive the gift.  The Gifts of the Spirit are manifestations that happen on the outside of us; the revelation gifts, power gifts and vocal gifts. These gifts are for the common good of the Church.  They are to build up the body of Christ.  Whatever the gift, we are to do it well.

The purpose of the fruits of the Spirit is to transforms our individual lives.  Fruits of the Spirit produces results which changes the person to be more Christ like. The transformation takes place on the inside of us.  Because the Holy Spirit’s character is made up of the Fruits of the Spirit, when He comes to live in us He brings these characteristics with Him.  Once these fruits are cultivated in our lives, the end results are that we learn to love, be joyful, patient, be at peace, meek, gentile, good, faithful and have self-control. Therefore any situations that occur in our lives will be handled in a godly manner. Everyone operates differently, some fast, some slow.  These qualities which are exhibited in the Christian’s life are a testimony to their level of maturity.  The more mature we are the more glory and honor God receives.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Donna what you have stated is so true, we are not all on the same level. A lot of us have been in the church a very long term me and still babes in Christ. They don’t even know they have these gifts stated in both 1cor 12:8-10 and Rom 12:6-8. They spend more time being like the world so they will never see or know that the Holy Spirit is present in them. Trials will come and they will get beat down constantly by the enemy because of the lack of prayer and the word. They spend their time in everything else other than the things of God. Great observation.

Rhonda
        Participant

Donna, I agree that the Gifts of the Spirit are given to God as he so desires. I like how you summarized the Fruit of the Spirit, “The purpose of the fruits of the Spirit is to transforms our individual lives.” We need to always keep in mind Jesus’ warning, “You shall know them by their fruit.” He did not say, “You shall know them by their gifts.” Nor did He say, “You shall know them by their outward moral behavior.”

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Donna, I couldn’t agree with you more concerning how the Fruits of the Spirit transforms our lives.The manifestation of these fruits shows just how Christ like we’ve become. One fruit that amazes of my friends is my ability to remain peaceful or joyful in situations that typically unravel others. Earlier today a friend asked me how can I be so calm? She knows that I’m dealing with an unpleasant family situation but whenever she speaks with me I’m calm and joyful. It’s not in my own strength but due to spending time with Him.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

According to the gifts of the spirit it is a real manifestation of God spirit. If you want that gift you must ask God for that gifts by his son . But when you get that gift you know that the manifestation of the gift of the spirit come from god just like in verses Roman12:6-8 it’s show that the two gift work together just like our body if one part is sick the whole body is sick. But just like if you have the gift of prophecy you should then prophecy according to the proportion of your faith but at the sametime in the next verses which are 1cor.12:8-10 given one of them the spirt of wisdom and he give to another the spirt of knowledge. So what are the difference are their but in the verses in 1cor. 12:8-10 he still give us the Fruit of the spirit which is to bear fruit which is soul for the kingdom of God but at the same time if you don’t plant seed you will not get fruit from that plant you planted but when God plant a fruit in your spirit he looking forward to see the spiritual fruit what he plant in your spirit.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Raphael, your last statement resonated with me. God is looking forward to see what each of us has done with the spiritual fruit that He planted in each of us. It is just like the parable of the talents in Matthew 25. God wants to see what you are doing. The servants that increased the master’s money was given more and called good and faithful. While the servant that hid the talent was called evil and lazy and thrown out with weeping and gnashing of teeth. I think we all strive to be called good and faithful servant and are cultivating our fruit to that end.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Good point Raphael it is grace that is given to help us operate in those gifts and that is a true manifestation of God like the scripture in Romans 12: 6-8. But like you stated The Holy Spirit gave us to profit to all.
        Great point, and a great way for us to plant fruit once we spend time in His presence so there will be manifested fruit.

Walter Brown
      Participant

The difference between the fruit of the spirit and the gifts of the spirit is that we as believers can have the gifts of the spirit and operate in them but don’t have any clue that the the fruits of the spirit is actually is in you. The fruits of the spirit takes time to cultivate. We have to spend time in prayer and in the word constantly to develop these fruits. Trials of life can also stuff out the fruits of the spirit. And the more we spend time in Gods word and in His presence He will give the increase and manifestations of the fruits of the spirits. The Gifts of the spirit is also as the spirit wills. It is the Holy Spirit that cause us to flow in the gifts of the spirit.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

<span style=”font-size: 120%;”>There are differences between the Gift of the Spirit and the Fruit of the Spirit? Explain in its entirety the difference between the two? According to the following scriptures, 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 and Romans 12:6-8. </span>

<span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     According to 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, “to one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. Romans 12:6-8, “if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. Live by the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23, “but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. </span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     There are definitely differences between the Gift of the Spirit and the Fruit of the Spirit. I will first start with the Fruit of the Spirit and what it means to live by the Spirit–and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law. (Galatians 5:16-18) According to the book on the Person of the Holy Spirit, it says the Holy Spirit bears fruit—it is interesting to note that the word “fruit” in Galatians chapter five is used in its singular, not plural form. This distinction does not mean that there is only one fruit, or that it is impossible to distinguish between attributes listed. The emphasis is that these various characteristics are from an identical source. When the Scriptures speak of the fruit of the Spirit, all characteristics must function in order for an individual one to have validity. Love is not genuine love, unless longsuffering is involved; therefore, these are not fruits which can be picked and chosen as in a supermarket. These qualities are the fruit of the Spirit! The quality of any fruit depends on the quality and nature of the plant which produces it. </span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     1. A plant produces after its own kind. A plant of a certain species will naturally produce that type of fruit. If the Holy Spirit dwells within us, we should naturally produce the fruit of the Spirit. This does not mean we cannot help to cultivate the fruit. We can be sure we get the proper nourishment.</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     2. The character of God is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, etc. the basis for the fruit of the Spirit, in 2 Corinthians 13:11, Paul told them to aim for perfection, be of one mind, live in peace and the God of love and peace will be with you. Also in 1 John 4:8 plainly declares God is love and in Roman 2:4 Paul wrote that God is longsuffering. “Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     3. We are known by our fruit, Matthew 7:16-23 states, “You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them. Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, case out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ ” </span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     Next, to receive the Gifts, first it is very necessary that we receive the Holy Spirit then after receiving the Holy Spirit, we must earnestly desire the gifts. Then after receiving the gifts, we must never forget that the gift is entrusted to us for bringing the blessings of God to the people, according to the book Smith Wigglesworth on Spiritual Gifts. Additionally, Smith Wigglesworth said that divine healing is a gift for ministering to the need of the people. The gift of wisdom is a word in season at the moment of need to show you just what to do. The gift of knowledge, or the word of knowledge is to inspire you because of the consecutiveness of the Word of God, to bring you life and joy—that is the intention of God. Then there is the gift of discernment in which we are not to discern one another but to discern evil powers and deal with them and command them back to the pit of hell from which they came. Regarding the gift of miracles, God intends for us to come to the place where we will see miracles worked. God also wants us to understand that tongues are profitable only when they exalt and glorify the Lord that we might really know what it means when interpretation is given. It is not merely to have beautiful sensations and think that is interpretation. Interpretation is not knowing what you are going to say, but it is being in the place where you say exactly what God says. So when Smith Wigglesworth have to interpret a message, he purposely keep his mind from anything that would hinder and he sometimes say “Praise the Lord” and “Hallelujah” so that everything will be a word through the Spirit, and not his word, but the word of the Lord! We can have these divine gifts so perfectly balanced by divine love that they will be a blessing all the time. However, please note, there is sometimes such a desire in the flesh to do something attention-getting. How the people listen and long for divine prophecy, just as interpretation comes forth. How it thrills! There is nothing wrong with it –it is beautiful! We thank God for the office and the purpose that has caused it to come, but let us be very careful to finish when we are through and not continue on our own. That is how prophecy is spoiled. If you continue your own, at the end of the anointing you are using false fire; at the end of the message.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     In my opinion, false fire can also occur when you are operating in bad fruit, for instance, I read where a young man was caught red-handed returning from an illicit affair with a prostitute and was corrected for his conduct—the boy’s response was, “I can still speak in tongues.” If the gifts are not backed by a holy life which produces the fruit of the Spirit, they are void and useless.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     Furthermore, Smith Wigglesworth dovetail, the uniting of the fruits and the gifts of the Spirit.</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     1. The first gift of the Spirit is wisdom which must always be connected with love. Love is the first (1st) fruit, wisdom is the first (1st) gift.</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     2. The next gift is knowledge. You will find if you work this out, that knowledge will always bring joy. Knowledge produces joy and they coincide.</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     3. The third is faith. You never find that faith is to any profit unless there is peace, so the gift of faith coincides with the fruit of peace.</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     4. The next is healing, You will always find that the person who is used in healing is longsuffering. It doesn’t mean you have to go to the cross, but have to be so in spirit with the needy sufferer that you enter right into his need.</span>
      <span style=”font-size: 120%;”>     In conclusion, the Gift of the Spirit and Fruit of the Spirit have their differences; however, as dovetailing have shown they can be united because after all it is the same Spirit and all glory and honor goes to God.</span>

Rhonda
      Participant

The Gifts and Fruit of the Holy Spirit are both supernatural expressions of God and should be used to encourage and comfort the body of Christ. The Fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

The Gifts of the Spirit are: the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, special faith, healings, working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, various kinds of tongues and interpretation of tongues (1 Corinthians 12:4-11). The Gifts of the Spirit are given to man by God as he wills and are the supernatural manifestation of the Spirit. We all have different Gifts of the Spirit that operate at various levels and anointing. The manifestations of the Gifts of the Spirit operate by the Holy Spirit through the Spirit of believers. God desires believers to operate supernaturally. As a result we must desire, believe and ask, however our motive should always be to edify.

The Gifts and Fruit of the Holy Spirit are not the same. The Fruit of the Spirit are attributes of God’s divine character; whereas the gifts of the Spirit are instruments of God’s divine power. The gifts are the supernatural operation and manifestation of the Holy Spirit who distributes them to each member of the body of Christ according to His own will (1 Corinthians 12:11; Hebrews 2:4). The gifts of the Spirit are received spontaneously by an act of faith; the fruit of the Spirit are produced over time by abiding or persevering faith (Luke 8:15). The Bible says “the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable (Romans 11:29).” If someone falls away from the faith and becomes carnal and ungodly, their ability to use the gifts will not cease.

All believers as a member of the body of Christ must be serving together in order for the body to be fully functional. That is why a church needs apostles, Prophets, Pastors, evangelists, teachers and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit working together to produce the full potential of the church. God gives us spiritual gifts for the edification of the church to build up the Body of Christ in love and unity, “that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ.” 1 Corinthians 14:12 Even so ye forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God: if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Moreover, when we seek God’s will and obey His leading, He will always equip us with whatever gifts of the Spirit we need. Whether it’s the gift of healing, gifts of faith, word of wisdom, word of knowledge, working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirit, divers kinds of tongues and interpretation of tongues.

All gifting’s  work together as one according  1Corinthians 12: 11-1311 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Now, the Fruit of the Spirit love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance are characteristic of Christ Jesus that a believer must develop or cultivate in their lives through the help of the Holy Spirit and being led by the Spirit of God.  Everyone did an awesome Job!!!!

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

The Gifts of the Spirit are “gifts”. These gifts are supernaturally manifested as the Spirit wills. We have no control as it pertains to these gifts being present and or active in our lives. The Gifts of the Spirit are seperated into three categories; Revelation, Power and Vocal. The Revelation gifts reveal something. They are Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom and Discerning of Spirit. The Power gifts do something. They are Gift of Special Faith, Working of Miracles and Gifts of Healing. The Vocal Gifts say something. They are Divers kind of Tongues, Interpretation of Tongues and Prophecy. One should ask, believe and receive these gifts. They are for the body of Christ “the Church”, not for personal gain.

The Fruits of the Spririt on the other hand are manifested by us cultivating them. These fruits are the characteristics ofJesus. These fruits must be nurtured and pruned daily. We must stay in the Word so that we can learn of Jesus’ character. The more time we spend with Him the more we become like Him. These Fruits of the Spirit are Love, Joy, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness and Temperance. We must be prayerful and stay in the presence of Him in order to cultivate the fruits of the spirit.

In the natural as children spend time with their father they begin to imitate him. They begin to talk like him, act like him, walk like him, even think like him. There’s a question that we sometimes ask ourselves when faced with a decision; what would Jesus do? We can only know what Jesus would do based on how well we know Him. To “know” Him means we spend time with Him and develop an intimate relationship with Him. We are known by our fruits. As Luke 6:44 states; “For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.”

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>“Explain in its entirety the difference between the Fruits of the Spirit and  the Gifts of the Spirit according to 1Corinthians 12:8-10 and Romans 12:6-8.”</span>

Romans 12:6 starts off by stating, “Having differing gifts according to the grace that is given to us…,”. This simple statement sums up the difference between fruits and gifts. According to this scripture spiritual gifts, just like natural ones, are given to us. Our Heavenly Father through the working of the Holy Spirit gives them to us as a result of his never ending grace. As we learned in last class, all we have to do is: desire, ask and believe. The Holy Spirit allows different gifts to operate through each believer based on the need before them. They manifest on different levels and annoitings based on the calling of the believer. So as we can see, the gifts are given as the Father wills.

Fruits of the spirit on the other hand, like natural fruit, must be cultivated. Meaning the believer has to work to develop them, the Father doesn’t just give them out. We develop them by spending time with God through his word, and allowing his Holy Spirit to have its way in us. This is the reason a believer’s temperment doesn’t immediately change the moment they receive Christ, although manifestations of gifts may be immediate. Let’s take Peter for example: He was present on the day of Pentecost, so he had the gift of tongues. He was also the deciple that walked on water with Jesus, which means he had the gift of supernatural faith and the working of miracles. Even though Peter received many spiritual gifts we see in <b><i>John 18:10</i></b> when he cut off the high priest’s servants ear, he had quite a temper. Jesus said in Mathew 7:16,20 “Wherefore by their fruit you shall know them.” He was explaining to us, his children will be recognized by their character. He telling us in the last days we will see people do many miraculous things, and some maybe fooled by them. Only God’s children will know him by his voice and character, and that is the same way he will recognize us.

In conclusion I find the gifts and fruits are very different, but the believer can have neither without the Holy Spirit. The trick is gifts are dependant upon God’s will, where as fruit dependent upon our own. If we allow these things two things to work in unison the way God intended, we become the kind of servants God deserves. We become just like our daddy. Amen

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The topic ‘The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 2: (October 16 – October 22, 2016)’ is closed to new replies.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center