Home Forums Layperson’s I – Section 4 – Ministry Gifts Forum Ministry Gifts – Week 1 Forum – January 7, 2016

Ministry Gifts – Week 1 Forum – January 7, 2016

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

WHAT ARE MY SPIRITUAL GIFTS?spiritual_gifts

Good day, Students:For this weeks forum I would like you to response to the questions below:

For this weeks for I would like you to response to the questions below:

1. Why do you think it is important for us to learn to recognize our spiritual gifts?

2. What is the difference between a spiritual gift and personality traits, talents or characteristics?

3. How does comparing yourself to others hinder your acceptance of your spiritual gifts?

I am looking forwarding to this discussion this week.  Blessings

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

It is important for us to learn to recognize our spiritual gifts because it is a Devine call of God, not of man. It is a conviction in our spirit and a witness in our heart.
      Spiritual things are more real than natural things. Once I learn to look into my spirit, my spirit will tell me. The inability to recognize my spiritual gifts results in the Church and the ministry getting away from the supernatural and into the natural only.

Spiritual gifts are of the supernatural, not natural ability and effects. For instance, I’m very good at organizing, multitasking, leading and passionate for the people I love. However, if I don’t recognize or have any spiritual gifts I will not be effective in any of the five ministry gifts of the Body of Christ. A ministry equipped with supernatural gifts is needed.

Once born again, God already has in his mind what He wants me to do. God equipped me with certain spiritual talents so that I can stand where He wants me in the Body of Christ. I must take my time to see who God wants me to be. I must let God’s Word be revealed in me and let God use my personality to inject the Word. Comparing myself to others hinders me accepting my spiritual gifts and leads me tp attempt to use the spiritual gifts of others. I can’t go out into the world and try being an evangelist and imitating or using the message of another evangelist; when in truth my spiritual gift may be as a teacher or an apostle. The message will not be my message and I would not be operating in integrity nor in truth.

Rhonda
        Participant

Monica, well said… A ministry equipped with supernatural gifts is needed. It is not for us to decide what gift(s) we receive divinely from God.

Roxanne Rhymer
        Participant

Just imagine how glorious church will be once we all learn to develop our spiritual gifts!  Glory to glory to glory!!!!

Great job, Monica,  I appreciate you starting the forum off this week.

Marita Smith
      Participant

I think its important for us to learn and recognize our spiritual gifts because these gifts are used for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ and for the maturing of the saints. In order for this to happen the fivefold ministry gifts has to function together to edify, and build up the body of Christ in order for the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ to come unto full stature in Christ. I have to know what office I stand in so I can be in God’s perfect will for my life. I don’t want to stand in an office that I was not called to be in, because it can ruin people’s lives and it will stop the blessings from operating in my life, it may even cost me my own life. In times past if any one besides the high priest intruded in the Holy of Holies he would drop dead instantly, because he intruded in the wrong office. By learning to listen to my spirit, I will  get conviction in my spirit because God deals with our spirits, and I will have the spiritual equipment, gifts of the spirit that goes along with the office or offices to which I am called I will also have the witness in my heart.

Spiritual gifts are supernatural gifts. God equips people with spiritual gifts necessary to stand in the office to which he calls them to. Spiritual gifts operating through the ministerial level carries a greater anointing. Personality traits,Talents and Characteristics are natural skills that we developed over the course of our lives. God will use our talents personality traits to help, encourage and build up people and also as ministry of helps in the church. Character should be one of integrity, honesty, and sincerity.

Comparing myself to others hinders my acceptance of my spiritual gifts because of trying to stand in an office I was not called to and trying to be someone that I am not. From the beginning God already know what he called me to do, but until I became born again I am now equipped with certain spiritual talents to stand wherever he wants me in the Body of Christ, for he is the one who gives, the one who calls, and the one who equips.Therefore I have to take time and wait on God, take time in fasting and prayer to find out his perfect will for my life and my ministry, also I must take the time to develop the ministry gift that he give me so I can be equipped spiritually, and mature naturally and spiritually. I don’t have to try to be like anybody else because the ministry to which I am called will be evident in my life and I will have the divine enablement and endowment to stand in that office.

Marita, you did an excellent job. It is true when you try to be someone you are not you run the risk of ruining someone life and your own.  That’s why it is so important to recognize how God has wired you.  Know your gifts helps you to fit perfectly into the place that God has for you.

Rhonda
      Participant

It is important for us to learn to recognize our spiritual gifts for the perfecting of the saints; for the work of the ministry and for the edifying of the Body of Christ. It takes the workings of all five spiritual gifts working together to build up the Body of Christ.

A spiritual gift comes from God not man (God does the calling, setting, & equipping) and it is not based on a person’s personality traits, talents or characteristics. Personality traits, talents and characteristics are based on natural gifts, but spiritual gifts come from God when he calls a person.

There is a diversity of ministry gifts because all of them are essential in order for the Church to come to full stature and brings balance to the body of Christ. Comparing myself to others hinders my acceptance of my spiritual gifts and causes division instead of unity. It is important that we wait and let God set us in ministry gift offices and to be ourselves. Having a spiritual gift is not about self-glory.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Rhonda, I believe that any church that operate in the five-fold Ministry gifts are powerful. There is where the perfecting of the saint will grow in full capacity.

Rhoda, you are right comparing your self to other brings about division instead of unity in the Body of Christ.  You be you (not good English but you get it).  Learning to accept yourself is so important.  It helps you to appreciate your individuality, your uniqueness and love the way God created you.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant
      1. Why do you think it is important for us to learn to recognize our spiritual gifts? When Jesus ascended on high He gave gifts onto men. These gifts were giving for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ. Till we all come into the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man. It is important for us to learn to recognize our spiritual gifts, knowing our gifts empower us to be in God’s prefect will while serving in the ministry. When we know our spiritual gifts it helps us to contribute in the maturing of the body of Christ. However, Ministry gifts are divine called from God, not from man. By not knowing your call and just stepping out into ministry can ruin the church causing them to be in error. It is imperative that we go before God in prayer to inquire of our spiritual gifts. While in prayer God will confirm the gifts we possess in our spirit.       This will help us to be equip, and in God’s prefect will while doing the work of the ministry.
      2. What is the difference between a spiritual gift and personality traits, talents or characteristics? These gifts are similar and also different.       All of them are gifts from God; intended to be use on behalf of others. The difference between spiritual gift and personality traits, talents of characteristics is that spiritual gift were given by the Holy Spirit for the building up of Christ’s church. In that, all Christians are to play an active part in the furtherance of the gospel of Christ. Christians are all called and equipped to be involved in the work of the ministry. Where as, personality traits, talents or characteristics are natural ability that one can train into. In addition, Christian believer are the only body that possesses spiritual gifts. Where as, personality traits, talents or characteristics can be possessed by anyone.
      3. How does comparing yourself to others hinder your acceptance of your spiritual gifts? Stepping in another person spiritual gift can and will hinder the call of God in your life. As we don’t choose which gift we would like to flow into, God is the one that gave the gifts onto men. Intruding into the wrong office can cost your life. It is dangerous to play with holy things; the calling of God is holy. God has already equipped us; all we needed to do is develop what God already equipped us with.

Lilly, you listed an important ingredient in discovering the call upon your life, PRAYER. Prayer is the very key that unlocks the door to your future.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

It is important for us to recognize our spiritual gifts so that we can use them for the purposes that God intended: for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ. The Bible says that we, the body of Christ, are fitly joined together. But what are we joined together to do? We can’t all do nothing and we can’t all do the same thing. Jesus has a specific work for each of us to do as part of His body and we need to know what our spiritual giftings are so we can carry out that assignment and thereby build up the body.

Spiritual Gifts are divinely bestowed and supernatural in nature and used specifically for the work that God has called you to do. Personality traits, talents or characteristics are natural elements of a person that they may be born with or develop over time but without the supernatural nature. Spiritual gifts are only given when we become born again. Everything else is brought about by our natural birth.

Comparing yourself to others can hinder your acceptance of your spiritual gifts because it can cause division and make you ingenuine. You have to walk in and live out your calling. Comparing is a waste of time and energy. God called you the same way that He called someone else. We are all on our own special assignment for the body of Christ.

Donna Riley
        Participant

You are so correct Stacy. Being given a gift means God thinks of you as meaningful not useless. Also it makes you feel you are needed and you have a purpose which to God is very important.

I have a question. Judas was given spiritual gifts. He was an apostle who healed people, but was he a believer? He never acknowledge Jesus as his savior only a Rabbi or great teacher? Help me someone.

Donna,none of the disciple were believers in the sense that we know it because Jesus had not gone to the cross yet. So they lived under a different covenant.

Donna,none of the disciple were believers in the sense that we know it because Jesus had not gone to the cross yet. So they lived under a different covenant.

Marita Smith
        Participant

YES Lilly I have to agree with you that you can’t choose what gift you want to stand in, it has to be a divine call from God, because he is the one who gives these gifts to unto man. Intruding in the wrong office can cost us our lives, because the things of God are holy and its not to be played around with as you say it can cost you your life.

Roxanne Rhymer
        Participant

I love it!  “God called you the same way that He called someone else. We are all on our own special assignment for the body of Christ.”   We are on special assignment! This takes the pride out of it.  It is all about God and His people!

Speak the truth, Stacy! God called you like he called someone else but what people fail to do is develop their own gifts and appreciate the gift that God has given them.

Donna Riley
      Participant

The church is like a jig saw puzzle. Each piece represents a member of the church. Each piece is unique, purposeful to the completion of the picture, and important because missing pieces leaves gaps in the picture resulting in an unfinished product. Each member of the body was given an assignment and equipped to fulfill the assignment. We must recognize and operate in our spiritual gifts because according to Kenneth Hagin, “The ministry gifts are Christ’s provision to the Church to build up, edify, and mature the saints. The ministry gifts Christ placed in the Church helps us grow up into His image. We need all five ministry gifts working together to bring the Body of Christ unto full stature in Christ.” Without recognizing and operating in our spiritual gifts, the church will not be able to fulfill its assignment.

Everyone has personality traits, talents or characteristics which are results of genetics (natural abilities) and environment (one surroundings). Spiritual gifts are given by the Holy Spirit only to the believer according to what He desires the believer to have. Personality traits, talents or characteristics can be used for the furtherance of one’s career, hobby or the church, but spiritual gifts are specifically for the building up of the body of Christ.

Comparing oneself to another almost always focuses more on the negative than the positive. The outlook one has for oneself is either I am not as good as the other person or I am far superior to others. Neither are beneficial because everyone is unique in their personal experiences, views and gifts. The most important fact is that everyone has the capacity to love, serve and contribute in the gifts that are given to them by the Holy Spirit. Comparing oneself to another brings envy, strife and division. These are not qualities that will bring about unity, prosperity and the maturity of the saints in the body of Christ. Instead of comparison shopping, focus on spending more time with Holy Spirit maturing yourself in your gifted area as well as acknowledging, appreciating, encouraging and complimenting your fellow believers on the contribution they have made in their gifted areas.

Roxanne Rhymer
        Participant

“The church is like a jig saw puzzle. Each piece represents a member of the church. Each piece is unique, purposeful to the completion of the picture, and important because missing pieces leaves gaps in the picture resulting in an unfinished product.”  Imagine a church filled with gaps in it just because we are neglecting our giftings.  How sad.  This inspired me to press even harder Donna.  Thank you for that revelation!

Donna I love the analogy of the jigsaw puzzle.  It is a perfect example of the body of Christ being fitly joined together compacted and ever joint supply.   I love this statement, Each piece is unique, purposeful to the completion of the picture, and important because missing pieces leaves gaps in the picture resulting in an unfinished product.”  You must view yourself as unique and purposeful to the plan of God.  You must know that when you are not in your proper place doing what God called you to do something is not getting done, some work is unfinished.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Donna, I love your jigsaw puzzle analogy. Each member must know know their spiritual gifts so that we can fit jointly, flow smoothly and be a blessing.

Roxanne Rhymer
      Participant
      1. <h4>Why do you think it is important for us to learn to recognize our spiritual gifts?</h4>
        It is important for us to recognize our spiritual gifts because that is the way that the Lord desires for His church to grow. God intended for us to use them for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, and for the edifying of the body of Christ.  Until we all come into the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man. Spiritual gifts are special abilities that the Holy Spirit blesses a believer with to build up the body of Christ for His glory.  It is important for each individual to learn to recognize their own unique gift so that we can all be joined together to complete the plans and purposes of God.  We need to learn what part we play in God’s plan and what gifts He gave us to carry out our roles.
      2. <h4>What is the difference between a spiritual gift and personality traits, talents or characteristics?</h4>
        A spiritual gift is different from personality traits, talents or characteristics because they are especially given to believers from the Holy Spirit.  Everyone whether they be saved or unsaved are blessed by God with certain talents and character traits, but believers are given “special gifts and abilities” to edify and build up the body of Christ.  This was God’s intent in giving them to His children; to build up His Kingdom.
      3. <h4>How does comparing yourself to others hinder your acceptance of your spiritual gifts?</h4>
        We cannot compare ourselves to others because what God has for us is especially for us.  We should not compare ourselves to others because we are all unique.  God gave each one of us gifts according to His plan for our lives and for His Church.   How dare we envy another’s gift while hating our own gifts.  That is like a slap in the face of God.  We should all pray to develop our own unique gifts for His glory.  It is never about us.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Roxanne I’m in agreement with you thwt in order for a Church to grow it’s members must recognize their spiritual gifts so that they can be used. It is such an awesome blessing to a Church when it’s members can utilize their spiritual gifts.

Roxanne, you nailed it! The gifts that we have are according to God’s plan and purpose for our live not ours so we must accept the gifts we are given. Develop the and use them for God’s glory and the advancement of his kingdom not hating on someone else’s gifting. The book of Corinthians tells us when we compare our selves to others we are unwise.

Roxanne, you nailed it! The gifts that we have are according to God’s plan and purpose for our live not ours so we must accept the gifts we are given. Develop the and use them for God’s glory and the advancement of his kingdom not hating on someone else’s gifting. The book of Corinthians tells us when we compare our selves to others we are unwise.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

Donna, I hope we can discuss your question in class tonight. I agree that we have to spend time with the Holy Spirit finding out what our gifts are and developing them. Comparing yourself is really a waste of time when you can be walking in them instead and building up the body of Christ.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center