Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 6 – How to Relate to Your Pastor How to Relate to Your Pastor – Discussion Forum – Week 3: May 28-June 4, 2017

How to Relate to Your Pastor – Discussion Forum – Week 3: May 28-June 4, 2017

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Janet Brown
      Keymaster

Layperson’s II Bible School – How to Relate to Your Pastor

Discussion Forum – Week 3 – May 28-June 4, 2017

Welcome to Week 3 of “How to Relate to your Pastor.”  For this week’s forum  review the YouTube video, “How to Relate to Your Pastor,” by Dr. Buddy Bell below and respond to the question.   To receive full credit you must post your comments to the questions by Thursday and respond to two of your classmates by Saturday.  Enjoy!!!

Question

What three (3) things would you change in your relationship with your pastor. Include scripture reference to support your points.

Rhonda
      Participant

The (3) things that I would change in my relationship with my pastor are: prayer for him and his family, esteem for him and communication of gratitude.  I would pray for him and his family more. I pray that they will not get weary of doing good, according to Galatians 6:9. Also, I would esteem him and communicate good and positive things with him more. 1 Thessalonians 5:13, tells us to esteem our Pastor’s very highly in love. I would encourage him with words of gratitude and continue to give him my support. This includes sowing more seeds into his life and giving heed to His gift. Galatians 6:6 KJV, Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Rhonda, that communication of gratitude is so important because we don’t ever want Pastor Walker to feel that we don’t appreciate the gift that he has been to us.  He has made a tremendous impact on individual s, the church and this community by his obedience to the call and we can’t ever take that for granted.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Rhonda, I’m right there with you in my desire to communicate my gratitude. Pastor isn’t new at this but he still needs a constant refreshing. Showing our appreciation will serve as a refreshing to his spirit and confidence. We all appreciate being told or shown that we’re doing a good job and our Pastor is no different. He’s been anointed and appointed to hold the office as Pastor, but he is also a human and need our appreciation just as he need our prayers.

Marita Smith
      Participant

The three things that I would change in my relationship with my pastor are; Esteeming him by telling him how much I appreciate him and all the work he does for the ministry. (1 Thess.5:13) He not only preaches on Sundays, Wednesdays, but also Fridays for youth; and thank him for all the sacrifices that he makes in between to make sure that we get the uncompromised word of God. He not only preaches, but he teaches the word and that takes a lot of studying, a lot of scripture references, and a lot of time and effort. 2Tim.2:15 Study to show your self approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Another area I would like to change in my relationship with my pastor is to give him love offerings. I have not done it as I should. I am making a conscious decision to give him love gifts more often; those Pentecostal hand shakes. (1Tim. 6:2)

The other area in my relationship with my pastor that I would like to change is being a source of encouragement to him. Letting him know what a great job he has done, and what a great job he is doing and not to get weary in his well doing no matter what. (Gal. 6:9) To remember that is labor and his faithfulness to what God has called him to do will not be in vain, and God is not unjust to forget his labor of love.

I believe pastors do need a word of encouragement from time to time and we should not take them for granted, but to always make it a point to let them know that we do love and appreciate them, not just on special occasions but all year round, and to thank them for all that they do after all, they are our gifts from God… Amen!!

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Marita, encouraging pastor is an important part in esteeming him highly. Really true, we take encouraging him for granted, as, he always looks like he has it all together ready to encourage someone. I really have to step it up in this area. We love our pastor and we don’t want him to become weary or discourage at anytime.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Those love offerings are so important Marita and I, too, have come up short in this area.  Pastor Walker has been and continues to be a blessing to us and we should bless him as well.

Rhonda
        Participant

Marita, affirming our Pastor in his leadership over us is very important. For me the next time I give our pastor encouragement, I plan on making it specific, not general, and direct the attention to what God did through him: “God taught/blessed me through your sermon by . . .”

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

Good point sister Rhonda, pray and supplication as he taught. Specific prayers is what he needs.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

Three things I would in my relationship with my pastor is first copying the gift of God which is my pastor .the next thing is to esteem him very highly in love and make sure that a lot of love and that is a action word.pray for my pastor and his family and the church always . And make sure that I first tell him that I receive him as my pastor.Eph. 4;8, Phil.4;9, 1Thess. 5;13.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Raphael, I also pray that the spirit of Pastor Walker falls on you and you become a great tool in the hands of God. Stick close to him and submit your will to him and in time this will come to pass. We need more strong men to rise up and take their place in the ministry. Also, our young men need better role models.

Janet Brown
      Keymaster

Oftentimes we intend to do something that will bring about a change in our lives.  However, because we don’t make tangible steps for effecting this change, our good intentions never materialize.  Each of you has expressed heartfelt intentions to bless your pastor.  Rhonda will pray for him and his family, encourage him with words of gratitude and sow seeds into his life.  Marita will tell him how much she appreciates him, give him love offerings, and let him know what a great job he’s doing.  Raphael will copy (imitate) the gift and tell him he receives him as his pastor.   I believe your intentions are genuine; therefore, I challenge you to put them into effect by planning how, when and where you will bless your pastor by doing what is in your heart.  Remember, love is an action word.  Reap a great blessing by blessing your pastor.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

The first thing that I would change in my relationship with my Pastor is that I would increase my time praying for him and his family.  According to 2 Thessalonians 3:1, we are to pray so that the “Word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, …”.  As I pray for him, I’m cancelling the enemy’s plans against my pastor.  I’m praying for strength, joy and peace for him as well as for his increase so that he can concentrate on hearing from God and bringing us that Word.

The second thing that I would change in my relationship with Pastor Walker is that I communicate with Him, our gift, in all good things according to Galatians 6:6.  I would bless him more with gifts and words of encouragement.  We have a pastor who doesn’t wear his heart on his sleeve so everything always looks all right.  However, this class has really opened my eyes to the challenges that Pastor Walker and most other pastors face.  I certainly don’t want to be a part of the problem.

The third thing that I would change in my relationship with Pastor Walker is that I would imitate him.  His prayer life and doing things decently and in order as well as many other aspects of his ministry are areas worthy of imitation.  The Bible tells us in Philippians 4:9 tells us that when I do this the God of peace will be with me.  That is a peace that surpasses all  understanding.

Rhonda
        Participant

Stacy, one of the most awesome questions we can ask our pastor is, “How can I pray for you and your family?” Often times Pastor Walker is approached and asked to pray for others, but we have a responsibility to lift him and his family up in prayer also. We can do so by standing in agreement with him on specific prayers.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Stacy, I also will communicate and demonstrate my gift to Pastor. Pastor is a manly man and sometimes that can cause to overlook his needs. I’m making a concerted effort to communicate and demonstrate my appreciation of all that he does for us. His service ought not to be taken lightly.

Walter Brown
      Participant

The three things I would change is to increase in prayer for him more especially in these trying times. He always praying or teaching ,counseling someone and he needs that constant prayer from r protection and coverage also for his family.2Thess 3:1.
      Then we must esteem them more take care of our gift spend time serving them highly esteeming him and his family. 1 Thess 5:13. Last spend time taking heed to listen intently to our pastor. These are the last days where God is going always give the man of God and we must pay attention and take heed. Hebrews 2:1

Donna Riley
        Participant

You are correct Walter. It is so important now more than ever to listen to what God is saying through pastor. It could be a matter of life and death not only for you, but your family.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with brother Walter and sister Donna .It’s important to listen to the Word in these last days in order to stand against the evil times

Donna Riley
      Participant

The three things I would change in my relationship with my pastor are as follows:
      1. I would try to understand his method of doing things. Being a pastor is not an easy assignment. There are many stressful situations: preparing the message which is a gift to the congregation and then they don’t show up or have a don’t care attitude, dealing with multiple personalities, becoming burnt out, not having the solution to everyone’s problems, being criticized for not caring, and on top of everyone else’s problems the pastor has a family and all the issues that come along with it, etc. I may not always understand; therefore, I must keep focus on achieving the vision of the church and believe God when He said, “And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.” Jeremiah 3:15 ESV
      2. I would be more supportive in that when I hear someone speak negative about him, I would try to get the person to look at the situation being discussed in a more positive way. If this does not work then I would just step away from the whole matter. Also, I choose not to hide anything from the pastor. If I see or hear anything that will seriously affect our church family then I will report it to the pastor. “For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light.” Mark 4:22 NLT
      3. This is one trait that I know I need more of and I’m in the trial and error stage. I want to be able to stand up in great faith and courage to go forth and accomplish any assignment given to me no matter how fearful, with excellence. I want the 100 percent reward of whatever God has to give; therefore, I must give the same. I want to say as Joshua and Caleb said in Numbers 13:30, “Let’s go up and take the land – now. We can do it.”

Marita Smith
        Participant

Yes Donna our pastors make a lot of sacrifices for us as their sheep. A lot of responsibility comes with being a pastor, not just feeding us with the word but like you said, dealing with different personalities, their attitudes towards everything he does and say and on and on. It’s a tough job but somebody got to do it, because God needs his flocks to be taken care of in every area of their lives.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Donna, I understand just as you do that being a Pastor is not an easy assignment or office, and there are stressful situations that he encounters in his ministry. Then he also has to manage his household well according to 1st Timothy 3:4. I also found the same scripture in Jeremiah 3:15, and believe me when I say, I had no idea we both was going to use Jeremiah 3:15, which is the cover for my written assignment,  because I have not come across a more appropriate scripture that empfilies Pastor Walker,s character and personality.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

The first thing I would change in my relationship with Pastor Walker is to earnestly increase my Prayer time for Pastor Walker and his family. Pastor Walker is so great and constant at what and how he operates in the office as our Pastor. He seems to have it all together and under control. That appearance does not negate the need for constant prayer. One of our grestest responsibilities towards our Pastor is to pray for him and his family DAILY. I Thessalonians 1:2; We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers.

Secondly, I must communicate all good things. Through my communication I will esteem him, demonstrate to him my appreciation and love with gifts, cards, letters of appreciation and love offering; (Pentecostal handshakes -money). Positive communications will also assist in building his confidence and affirms the outstanding job that he’s doing.

Thirdly, I will obey my Pastor’s teachings completely so that I can grow in the Lord and in the knowledge of Him. I Corinthians 11:1; Be ye followers of me, even as I also am in Christ. Some Christians obey but do not submit. To be submissive is an attitude of the heart. That attitude displays loyalty and commitment. I must be loyal and committed in the mission that Pastor Walker has for our Church and be fully committed in seeing things come to fruition.

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant
      1. Three things I would change  is I would increase praying for Pastor and his family.1 Peter 3:12 states to pray “For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord are against then that do evil.”
      2. I would pay more attention to his preaching and the devine messages that I can apply to my life.  Jeremiah States “and I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.”
      3. I would communicate  with him on a different level knowing that God has anointed him to teach. Galatians 6:6 States “let him that is taught in the Word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.”

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Denise, Prayer is always needed. Paying attention to his teaching and putting it to practice is important also.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

The three ways I would change in my relationship with my pastor:
      Firstly, I will esteem him highly in love, as 1 Thessalonian 5:13 stated, by respecting him and seeking ways to serve him. I will also be a source of encouragement. We often take our pastor for granted by not showing him our appreciation.

Secondly, I will cover him in prayer, based on 2 Thessalonians 3:1, that the word of the Lord may have free course and be glorified. That pastor would be delivered from wicked and unreasonable men, based on 2 Thessalonians 3:2, I will pray with all prayer and supplication in the spirit for he and his family.

Thirdly, I will communicate more by demonstrating love and appreciation, giving him that Pentecostal hand shake knowing that pastor is a gift from the Lord. I will also show my faithfulness, by obey his teaching and imitating him.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Lily,  I see from our responses, that we all have learned some very important truths when it comes to How to Relate to Your Pastor.  To see all the ways we want to bless the Pastor and his family.  It will truly blessed the Pastor heart with great joy , to see the words written, will not only be words written but action taken behind the words. That each of us will do our part as member of his ministry and full fill our purpose as  Christ disciples.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

The first thing that I would change in my relationship with my Pastor is be more diligent in fulfilling 1st Thessolians 5:13 and to esteem them very highly in love who labor for the works sake, and be at peace among yourselves.  There is a lot more that Pastor Walker does besides being a Pastor.  He has a mentorship with the youth,  does teaching of students, is a spiritual leader to the members of the body. I pray and will continue to eteesm him very highly in love for his work sake to this ministry.  To pray that he doesn’t get weary in well doing.  I have decided to change, to become more aware and practice the word by action and to continue encourage, pray, respect and esteem  pastor. Pastor Walker demonstrates  an unwavering faith, loyalty and commitment to the gift of Pastor,  which causes me to realize how blessed we are to be taught by him and to receive him as my Pastor.

Second , I would change the way I  communicate to my Pastor.  Gal. 6:6. Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. Don’t just go to the pastor when you need advice, counsel, prayers,  or in times of troubles, but I will start by showing my appreciation by demonstrating it with action. I can’t remember Pastor ever communicating the word to us,  teaching us anything that is not beneficial for our spiritual growth and maturity.  Having learned so much about the gift concerning pastors, I am going to be an action communicator towards my Pastor and his family.

Third, change the way I pray for the gift of my Pastor.  2nd Thessolians 3:1. Finally brethren,  prayers for us that the word will have free course, and be glorified,  even as it is with you. I will make sure to find time to pray for Pastor, that the word will continue to flow freely through Pastor by the Holy Spirit, and lives maybe changed and God be glorified.  I thank God,  that I am free to pray, heed the gift of my Pastor,  listen with care, pay attention to,  and to take notice of receiving the gift, esteeming the gift, imitating the gift,  getting to know him in truth and fact, praying for the gift, communicate to the gift,, and finally to give heed to the gift, so that the word doesn’t slip easily from our lives,  but we are rooted and grounded in the truth of the word.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Celise I agree with you that it is a great honor and privilege to have a pastor such as our pastor. He is a gift to us from God, and it is rightly that we should esteem him highly in love, support, pray and bless him all the time, not just saying it but follow up with action of actually doing it. It is important for us to take care of the gift that God has blessed us with.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center