Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 1 – Gifts of the Holy Spirit Gifts of the Spirit – Week 1: (September 11th – September 17, 2016)

Gifts of the Spirit – Week 1: (September 11th – September 17, 2016)

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

why_tongues_banner_a1

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, Gifts of the Spirit course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  The question for this week’s forum is  “How important is speaking in tongues and what is the connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit?”  Provide scriptural support to your response.  Share with your classmates how long you have been praying in tongues and the benefits you have personally experienced.

No peeking at other students responses.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  I can’t wait to read your responses.  ENJOY!!!!!

Welcome to the GIfts of the Spirit Forum.

Rhonda
      Participant

It is very important for believers to speak and pray in tongues as an integral part of our devotional prayer life for the rest of our lives. The apostle Paul said, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all” (1 Cor. 14:18). Paul also wrote to the Church at Corinth and encouraged them to speak with tongues in their own private prayer lives. I Corinthians 14:4 KJV tells us, “He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself . . .” “Edifieth” means to build up, and speaking in tongues provides spiritual edification. For example, when we as believers pray in tongues it is our spirit that is praying, by the Holy Spirit within us. 1 Corinthians 14:14 KJV, “For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth….” A lot of times when we pray in our natural language our prayers can become self-centered or based on things only known in the natural realm. However, praying in tongues allows us to pray the perfect will of God and to pray for the unknown. In addition, speaking and praying in tongues magnifies God supernaturally and helps to manifest the gifts of the Spirit. As spirit beings, tongues is our spiritual language to God.

It is important to understand that when we received Jesus as Lord and Savior we received a measure of the Holy Spirit (John 3:5-8; John 4:14) an indwelling presence. The nine fruit of the Spirit, are a result of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling Presence (Galatians 5:22-23). The Holy Spirit lives within us to help, comfort, guide, and cause us to bear fruit. However, this is different from been filled with Holy Spirit. It is possible to receive the new birth and not be filled with the Holy Spirit.

There is a connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit. The (9) gifts of the Spirit, are a result of the Holy Spirit’s infilling power (Corinthians 12:7-11). The infilling of the Holy Spirit (Baptism in the Holy Spirit) means the enduement of power from on High as Jesus spoke about in Luke 24:49, Acts 1:8, and John 7:38.

• LUKE 24:49 KJV And, behold, I send THE PROMISE OF MY FATHER upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be ENDUED WITH POWER FROM ON HIGH.
      • ACTS 1:8 KJV But ye shall receive power, AFTER THAT THE HOLY GHOST IS COME UPON YOU: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
      • JOHN 7:38 KJV He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, OUT OF HIS BELLY SHALL FLOW RIVERS OF LIVING WATER.

There is a greater measure of the Holy Spirit for born again believers to receive in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The infilling of the Holy Spirit, is a gift offered to born again believers and according to Luke 24:49 it is the “power from on high”. The baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking with tongues is a result of the gateway into the (9) supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit. According to, I Corinthians 12:7 the nine gifts of the Spirit are given “…to profit withal …”

I have been praying in tongues for about 13 years now. I became more consistent since enrolling in Layperson’s classes and now I pray in tongues on a daily basis. Some benefits that I have personally experienced includes: my faith being stimulated and trusting in God more fully despite my circumstances.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Rhonda, it is evidence that the infilling of the Holy ghost is a vital part of the life of the believers. In Acts 1:4-5 the believers were admonish by Jesus not to depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which was the baptism of Holy ghost. He knew that when He ascend to the Father we as believers will need to be fill in order to walk victorious in this life. That’s why He state in Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in the uttermost part of the earth. Right after they were fill that’s when Peter Had boldness to stand in the midst of the people and declared with boldness “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.” Boldness came on the diciples and they went out doing the work of the ministry.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Excellent point Rhonda praying in tongues keeps us in line and praying God perfect will over our lives, and that gives us the surety of knowing what The father has in store fire our life. “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”
        ‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:26-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Walter Brown
        Participant

Excellent point Rhonda praying in tongues keeps us in line and praying God perfect will over our lives, and that gives us the surety of knowing what The father has in store for our life. “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”
        ‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:26-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Donna Riley
        Participant

Rhonda, it is so true when the Bible says God thought of everything for our benefit. Speaking in tongues makes it so easy to relate to God. Tongues takes the guess work out of knowing what to say or how to place our words. The focus is taken off of ourselves and placed on God. Our selfishness doesn’t get in the way. God places all the responsibility for our prayers strictly on the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit knows what our needs are and presents what we need and want in the correct form to God. How easy is that? Our part is to believe God, desire what He has for us and do as He instructs.

Marita Smith
      Participant

How important is speaking in tongues? Speaking in tongues is very important because its speaking in line with God’s perfect will concerning my life.(Romans 8:26-27) Speaking in tongues also helps me in finding out what my gift(s) are: and what is God’s purpose and plan for my life. Speaking in tongues is also important because it’s where God speaks to me through my spirit.

When I speak in tongues it helps me to pray for the unknown things that I don’t know, for example; I woke up in the middle of the night and I called out this lady’s name, she used to work with me at the hospital sixteen years ago, I didn’t know why I called out her name, I just began to pray in tongues, I prayed until I got a release. A few days later I went to my hairdresser’s shop and I found out that the lady’s Laboratory; which was right next door to the hairdresser’s shop was robbed and she had just left the lab when they came in the same night I was praying, had I not prayed; only God knows what would’ve happened to that lady.(1Corinth.14:2) Glory to God!!I

I also found out when I pray in tongues the Holy Spirit leads, guides, directs, strengthens, and encourages me. At times when I don’t know what to pray concerning a specific need, by praying in tongues the Holy Spirit reveals his perfect wisdom to that specific need I have. (Romans 8:26-28)

What is the connection between the infilling of the spirit and the gifts of the spirit? The connection is that speaking in tongues helps us to learn to trust God fully. Speaking in tongues does not heal us if we are believing God for healing, but it helps us to believe God for the healing while its building up our most holy faith (Jude 20) trusting in him, standing on his word, so we can get the manifestation of our healing.

I have been speaking in tongues for the past 18yrs, the same day that I received Jesus as my Lord and saviour, I received the gift of the holy spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. I didn’t always pray as often as I should, but as time went by I kept hearing my pastors saying how important it is to speak in your heavenly language and what all the benefits were. I eventually made up my mind to pray in tongues more and it proved to me what they were saying was true.

One of the benefits that I have personally experienced by praying in tongues was when the church was at Annas Fancy. Pastor Walker had just started GPHI (youth ministry) I was not apart of it as yet. Brother Alfred (Alfie) was serving in the youth ministry and his then fiancé sister Brenda now his wife, would come down to my house to wait for him. Sister Lilly and sister Jeanine(JoJo) would come sometimes, and we would do a form of touch group where we would pick a scripture and discuss what we think its saying, and what it meant to us, then we would pray after we finish. This particular Friday it was just sister Brenda and I; we did the usual and it was my turn to pray, I started praying in tongues and while I was praying I heard “GREAT SHALL BE YOUR PEACE”  I was trying to figure out where did that came from because I was not trying to say that, nor did I ever experienced hearing something said to me in my spirit before, I was in awe. It was a great experience, and ever since then I have the peace of God even when I’m faced with a situation( Philippians 4:7) I don’t worry or get scared, I cast it on God and leave it in his hands, I trust him and I know he is able to bring me out of it victoriously.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Marita, Praying in tongues allow us to pray for things in advance also, as we don’t know what we are praying for, but we do know that we are praying the perfect will of God for our life. You made some vital point concerning speaking in tongues, I like the idea that it allow you to know the plan and purpose for your life. It enlighten our spirit to the leading of God will and purpose for our daily walk with Him.

Rhonda
        Participant

Marita, that was an amazing testimony of the importance of speaking in tongues. Praying in tongues requires a great deal of faith, because we are praying for the unknown in an unknown language. Pastor Hagin reminded us in his book entitled, “The Holy Spirit and His Gifts” that the word “unknown” is italicized in the King James translation indicating that it wasn’t the original scriptures. Tongues may be unknown to us, but it is never a mystery to God. He uses the word ‘other’ instead of unknown for this reason.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Marita. I agree that speaking in tongues is a way of praying gods perfect will for our lives. It also opens doors us to intercede  and pray for situation beyond our control.  Just like the woman you prayed for without even knowing her circumstances. I too have found that praying in tongues also strengthens my spirit  and give us gods direction for our lives.

Marita, situations like that happen to me to. You just wake up with someone on your heart and start to pray. There are times that the Holy Spirit tells me exactly what it is and I later find out that it was the Holy Ghost indeed and not just me making up stuff in my head.

What an awesome example you share about that woman.  That is exactly why our obedience is so important.  When we hear the Holy Spirit directing us to pray we should pray.  We never know whose life we are saving.  Blessings

Donna Riley
        Participant

Marita, WOW, I had the same type of experience. I went to sleep early one night (which is not normal for me) and God woke me up and told me to pray. Because I did not know why, I started to pray in tongues until I felt a release. The next day, a lady I work with told me she was on the dollar bus and it ran out of brakes going down Raphune Hill around 8pm. This was around the same time I was praying. I was so excited that God chose me and even more excited that I was obedient! Hallelujah!  Also, I definitely believe God told you great shall be your peace. I have not met someone who is as cool calm and collected as you. I watched you handle a situation in church when a couple didn’t want to sit where they were told and wanted to leave the church. When you spoke to them your tone of voice was so soothing that they melted in your hands and did just as you instructed. That was definitely admirable. Peace is an integral part of your make up.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

I had a similar experience just like you and Marita; however, I was not sleeping I was wide awake when the person face came to me in a vision and it seems the person was going over a cliff and Holy Spirit told me to pray for that person so I got on my knees and started praying for the person.  I was living in Florida at the time and the person lives on St. Thomas.  I have seen the person since I move home; but I never had the opportunity as yet to speak with the person.  I do not know them personally only by seeing them.  I know one day in God’s timing we both will have the opportunity to give God all the glory and praise regarding this testimony.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

I side you Marita that it’s important for believer to pray in tongues because if we didn’t pray in tongues we will not get our spiritual blessing what Jesus have for us .But if we didn’t pray in tongues we won’t know what to pray for at all.So it’s very good for we pray in tongues always

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

Speaking in tongue is the initial supernatural evidence that a believer has been filled with the Holy Ghost.  Acts 2:4 stated, and they were all filled with the Holy ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit give them utterance.”  When we received salvation we received the work of the Holy Spirit, which is the new birth. This is not call receiving the infilling of the Holy Ghost. The infilling of the Holy Ghost is a gift given to all believers, however not all believers excepted that gift.  As a believer it is very vital that we cultivate that gift in our daily life.  Paul stated, “I thank my God I speak in tongues more than ye all” (1 Cor. 14:18).  Paul knew the important of speaking in tongues, he knew it connected him to the supernatural and it cultivate the power of God in his life.  This gift is important because it help us as believers to see the blessings, which can be our through appropriating the power of the Holy spirit daily.

There is a connection between the infilling of the spirit and the gifts of the Spirit.  The infilling of the Holy ghost is the beginning of the miraculous manifestation of the spiritual gifts.   As believers continue to be fill by speaking in tongues, we will activate the supernatural manifestation of the spiritual gifts in our life.  These gifts have been given by God to every born again believer, all we have to do is desire, believe, and ask for these gifts to manifested in our life.  In 1 Corinthians 12:8-11, there you will find the name of the 9 spiritual gifts. Their intent is to edify and bring glory to the Lord Jesus Christ, also to bless the people.  The more believers speak in tongues, the more sensitive we will be to the operation of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I got born again on September 02, 1992, twenty-four years ago.  I received the infilling of the Holy ghost at that same time.  As I beginning to speak in tongues, mind thought was, “this don’t sound right,” so I began to speak very quietly as I didn’t want anyone to hear me.  There were other believers who was speaking in tongues who sounded much more advance than I did.  I was determent to do this thing, so I would prayer in tongue every afternoon when I reach home.  As I advance I felt more comfortable praying openly.  I have find that when I pray in the spirit I became more sensitive to the leading of the Holy Ghost. I have also notice that the fruit of the spirit, which is found in (Gal. 5:22-23) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23) meekness, temperance, have become a vital part of my character.  It stimulated my faith, taking my faith to a higher level. I find that I couldn’t stand to be around foolish talk. I wanted to guard what was going into my ear and eye gate, practicing to be free from worldly contamination.  Praying in tongues helps me to grow in my born again experience.

Good point you brought out, Lilly. Most people believe when they pray in tongues they must sound like someone else.  You are unique so your Heavenly language will be unique to you.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Great point Lilly praying in tongues gives us the connection to the supernatural and the evidence that the comforter live within us.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Lilly, I love the last line in your post, “Praying in tongues helps me to grow in my born again experience” because I have found this to be true in my own life. This has been the area in which I feel closest to God and that I’m trusting and relying on Him more and more. Of course, I learn about Him and who He is when I read the Bible but for me the relationship building aspect of my walk with Him occurs when I’m praying in tongues.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

I like the story you told about how uncomfortable you felt speaking in tongues for the first time. I feel this way every time I attend early morning prayer. I will press forward just as you did, and see how it goes. I also agree that speaking in tongues seems to be key to unlocking other spiritual gifts.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Jettanyia, I have find that when I continued to pray in tongue at home, I felt more comfortable praying around others when I’m at church. So as you continue to pray at home you will see it become more easier praying around others.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Lilly, I felt the same way when I was first introduced to tongues I sounded like a baby trying to speak and my tongue hurt when I tried to speak real fast. Truth be told, I always thought just like the saints in Jerusalem in the upper room who received the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues my experience would be the same thing.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

I agree with you Lilly that when believer pray in tongues that we pray out mysteries only God can will reveal to us by pray in our spiritual tongues.But the only one to understand us is god the father .At the same time we pray the Holy Spirit we speak in and a unknown that no man can understand.

Rhonda
      Participant

Lilly your statement, “the more believers speak in tongues, the more sensitive we will be to the operation of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit”, is key. As believers we must always remember that we are spirit beings and God is a Spirit and God gave us tongues to communicate directly to Him and for supernatural manifestation.

Lily I agree that the infilling of the Holy Ghost is the beginning of manifestations from the gift of the spirit. I was never actually concerned with how I sounded, my issue was how everyone else was sounding to me. I do find there is a connection between the gifts of the spirit and the fruits of the spirit. An example would be Word of wisdom and Love which is a fruit of the spirit. The two go hand in hand because if we have the wisdom of God, we should have the Love of God. I think that makes sense. 🙂

Raphael Ottley
      Participant
        How important is speaking in tongues?  Speaking in tongues is our heavenly language that only God can understand.   It brings a refreshing Isaiah 11:28. Some people speak in tongues when they are fighting the good fight of faith and believing God for healing for their family and health in their body. Exodus15:26 If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the lord thy God and wilt and that which is right in his sight and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes.I will put none of these diseases upon these which I have brought upon the Egypians:for I am the Lord that health thee.  You can pray this scripture in English then pray it in other tongues after.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Rapheal, isn’t it awesome that we have a heavenly language, where as, we can contact our Heavenly Father with out any interruption? We process a direct line to Him, at any time we can go into the throne room of grace and obtain help in time of need. No one understand, how be it we are praying the mystery of God.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Iam praying in tongues for18 yrs. to keep my soul right with God and it keep me edfidty and my spirit connected with God .And praying help me make keep the devil under my feet.By speaking in tongues it help me keep the Holy Spirit with me but right now will never stop praying in tongues and help understand the mysteries of God. 1Cor.14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men,but unto God for no man understandeth him;how beit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Rapheal, I like what you said about people praying in tongues when they are fighting  the good fight of faith and believing God for healing for their families, but we must not only believe God and fight the good fight of faith when we are believing  for healing for our families, but every second of every day that we have the victory over  every circumstance that may come against us. Mark 16:17 And these signs will follow those who believe.  In my name they will cast out demons;they will speak in new tongues; they will take up serpents;and if they drink anything deadly;iron will by no means hurt them;they will lay hands on the sick and they will  recover

The word of God says, he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 1 Corinthians 14:2. This in itself is more than important to me because it lets me know that I can confuse my enemies both in the spirit world and the natural  world. Satan or any physical person around me cannot understand what my spirit is saying to God. To me, it feels like the highest intimacy with God. Speaking in tongues also puts my flesh out of the way so that I don’t interrupt the plan of God for my life. This is amazing, not even your flesh understands!! When you speak in tongues, according to the Word of God you can edifying yourself 1 Corinthians 14:14 which says he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. It is exercise for your spirit the same way you excercise your body. The more I speak in tongues, the “stronger” or “built up I become.

The connection between the infilling of the spirit and the gifts of the spirit is that the ability to speak in tongues is evidence that you have been filled with the Holy Ghost. Speaking in tongues is a gift of the spirit so it all ties together. Ephesians 5:18 tells us “be not not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the spirit. This is a command that God has given us because it’s in his word. When you are filled with the spirit and speak in tongues, you hear God more clearly which gives you the ability to flow and operate in the other gifts of the spirit that is available to every believer. When you are filled with the spirit, your flesh is out the the way and you have the ability to distinguish between spirits that the natural man can not do which is another gift of the spirit. 1 Corinthians 12: 8-10. It is like saying the infilling of the spirit is a PREREQUISITE for the manifestations of the gifts. Without being filled with the Holy Ghost you are all flesh, therefore being spiritually deaf to God.

I have been speaking in tongues for the past 3-4 years. My initial encounter with tongues was in the wee hours of the morning when I was woke up just “babbling”. I was a backslidden Christian and had no idea what just happened to me. I honestly thought it was something demonic since I was being disobedient to God when he was calling me back to serve him. It was not until I started attending Word Of Faith 2 months after the incident I understood what happened to me. I realized that the Holy Spirit surely did come upon me. My experience with tongues surely has been an amazing one. I thank God that I can use tongues to bring my own tongue under subjection when it wants to be unruly. I realize I don’t have to cuss anyone out when I get angry, I go in my prayer closet and let loose by praying in the Holy Ghost. When I encounter a situation that English words can not describe I simply go before God praying in tongues and watch him move. Praying in tongues teaches me to “Be Still” because I am confident that my spirit and God is working on my behalf so I can rest.

I like the point you made about how praying in tongues helps to bring your tongue under subjection.  We all need this and by praying in tongues it also reminds me that God lives in me.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Shanelle isn’t awesome to know that when you are faced with a situation and you just can’t find the English words to pray  you have a back up, your heavenly language that you can pray. As Christians praying in tongues is our direct line to our heavenly father, who is always waiting, ready and able to help us, as he has said in his word that we can come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in the time of need.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Shanelle, your analogy of speaking in tongues as exercise for our Spirit is in point. It builds us up and strengthens our faith. Just like exercising or muscle building, I have to keep doing it to avoid reverting to the “weakling” I was before.

Walter Brown
      Participant

The importance of speaking in tongues gives one the abilities to one connect with the father 1cor 14:2 “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” It also give us as Christians the power and ability to operate with boldness and to operate in the Spirit realm. Act 1: 8 “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
      ‭‭And Acts 2: 14-16 “But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;” 1cor 14: 6 “Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine. The connection between the Infilling of the Holy Spirit and the spirit it gives me access to My Fatter God for one  1cor 14:1-2 it also allows me to flow in the gifts of the Spirit 1cor 12: 8-9 “For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;” it also builds my faith Jude 20. I have been praying in Tongues for 13years and the benefits I have gained is nothing more than having a friend on the inside I speak to daily where as it gives me comfort and confidence specially in my alone time.

‭‭

Marita Smith
        Participant

That’s a valid point Walter when you say speaking in tongues gives us the ability to connect with the Father one on one. Yes, when we speak in tongues man can’t understand us because we are not prying unto them (man) but unto God who understands us.

Walter, you gave some good points.  One of which is, when we pray in tongues we pray directly to God. Having a direct connect with the God that created the Universe really blew my mind.   I enjoy knowing that I am talking directly to God, WOW!!!  I will say it backward, WOW!!!!

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

Speaking in tongues is vitally important in my life for many reasons. First, the benefits of speaking in tongues allows me to fully walk out God’s plan for my life.

Speaking in tongues is the initial sign of the Spirit’s indwelling presence. (Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.)  It provides spiritual edification (I Corinthians 14:4 – He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church) and is a constant reminder of the Spirit’s indwelling presence (John 14:14-16 – 14) For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15) What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16) Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?). As I continue to speak in tongues it stimulates my faith (Jude 20: But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost) and ensures that what I’m praying about is in line with God’s perfect will (Romans 8:26-27 – 26) Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27) And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God). Praying in tongues keeps me from worldly contamination (I Corinthians 14:26 – How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.) and refreshes me spiritually (Isaiah 28:11-12 – 11) For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12) To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear). We speak in tongues to give thanks (I Corinthians 14: 15-17 – 15) What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also, 16) Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?, 17) For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.) and to bring our physical tongue under subjection (James 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison). I am also able to pray for the unknown when I speak with tongues (I Corinthians 14:2 – For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries). All of these benefits draw me closer to God and helps me to thrive on a spiritual level.

Speaking in tongues is also important to me because it allows me to be connected to God in all of the ways that He has made available to us. God is a spirit (God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth John 4:24) and when I speak in tongues we are speaking Spirit to spirit. The devil can’t understand it and can’t get in the way. My known tongue can’t get in the way because we are speaking a divine language. We are speaking mysteries: I Corinthians 14:2 – For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.) It is the ultimate, private, one on one, conversation with God.

In order to operate in the gifts of the Spirit, you must first be filled with the Holy Spirit. In I Corinthians 14:1 God tells us to “desire spiritual gifts”. However, those spiritual gifts cannot manifest unless we are filled with Holy Spirit. In Acts 1:8 Jesus tells the disciples “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you”. That power comes in the gifts of the Spirit, I Corinthans 8-10: For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit, To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues.” That was demonstrated in Acts 2:4 – And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Three thousand souls were added to the Church that day. The more we speak in tongues, the more the gifts of the Spirit will manifest.

I have been praying in tongues sporadically since 2005. However, I have only consistently been praying in tongues for the last couple of years. I have experienced many benefits from praying in tongues and as I reflect on them now I commit to increasing my time in prayer. I have found that praying in tongues calms me down when I become anxious. It brings a peace and assurance that all is well. There have been instances when I’ve faced situations where I just did not know what to do and therefore did not know what to pray for. I just prayed in tongues because I knew that the Spirit would know lead me in the right direction. I’ve also received revelation about people’s motives and actions as a result of praying in tongues. Finally, I have been able to “be angry and sin not” (Ephesians 4:26) by praying in tongues when my flesh rises up in anger. The benefits are endless.

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Great reasons Stacey! I particularly love how speaking in tongues has given you revelation and I couldn’t agree with you more. John 14:26 says, “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

I remember a few months ago while serving in media ministry, the monitors would not work and Rhonda (hey, Rhonda!) was not coming to service that morning. Pastor came over to assist me and we tried everything. We checked the system, checked the wires in the ceiling, the monitors, you name it!  We still could not get the monitors to work and Pastor had to get ready for service.Finally, I asked Magic for help because I realized that I could not get the monitors working in my own natural abilities. Magic told me, “No, I will not help you. Pray about it.” If I can be so honest in saying that I was not trying to hear that and asked him again to help me. His response was the same.

Well at this point, service was starting and there was no one to help me…so I turned to God. I started to pray in the Holy Ghost and all I can say is WON’T HE DO IT!!! He gave me the wisdom by revealing to me how to fix the monitors. I did not look at the congregation to prevent getting nervous. I simply stayed focus on God, continued praying in the Holy Ghost, and believed that He would see me through. When those monitors finally started to work, I immediately thanked God and then Magic.

What was memorable about that day was when Pastor looked over from the pulpit and smiled in approval. After service, Pastor asked me how was I able to get the monitors working. I told him that I prayed in the Holy Ghost and God told me what to do. He then smiled. I am not a person who seeks approval much, but it is always a nice feeling when your Pastor is pleased.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

Stacey I like how you mentioned how praying in tongues helps soothe your anxieties. Anyone that knows me will tell you I could use a chill pill or two. To be angry and not sin, I thought I was doing this by not responding when others hurt me and did things I don’t like. Even though I prayed about it (not in tongues) I would walk around with the hurt pushed down inside me. I’d get overly Sensitive, weary in my work for God and eventually explode. Afterwords I feel bad, get depressed and stop coming to church all together. I started this class as a means to growth so I can move past these behaviors.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Stacey, I really like that…”spirit to Spirit”. It remnds me of hw connected we are and that God isn’t soo far away that He can’t hear us, He’s everywhere with us all. It’s an awesome thing to know that I got direct contact, anytime, at any hour. I don’t have to go through anyone else to get to Him!!!! This class is showing me soo much about speaking tongues that I’ve never considered!!! Spirit to spirit, the best hookup I could ever have 😉

Donna Riley
      Participant

Speaking in tongues is very important. Jesus said that this is one of the signs of a believer, Mark 16:17, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; … they shall speak with new tongues.” Speaking in tongues is an essential part of a believer’s prayer life. The Apostle Paul said, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues…” I Cor. 14:18. It is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit and His indwelling presence. Speaking in tongues is the gateway into the supernatural. This is where God exist. This is where great things happen. Jesus prayed “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world,” John 17:16. Therefore, the more we stay connected to our real home, to our God, to the spirit realm, the stronger we become in overcoming this sinful world. In war, communication is vital in winning the battle. With tongues as our prayer language, Satan loses his ability to communicate to his soldiers on how to combat our defenses. He does not understand the instructions God is giving us, so this leaves him at a great disadvantage. We win!

The infilling of the Spirit is an ongoing process. A believer is filled if they allow themselves to be influenced by the Holy Spirit or being fully consecrated to God. In Ephesians 5:18, Paul commands: “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.” Just as one can be filled with wine one minute and sober the next so to one can be filled with the Spirit and then not be. Being filled should be an everyday part of a believer’s life style.

God gives us spiritual gifts for building up the body of Christ, I Corinthians 14:12. The purpose of the gifts is to enable the believers to complete the tasks God has assigned to them or to fulfill His purpose in our lives.

There is a connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit. In order for the believer to be obedient to God and fulfill His purpose through us, the believer has to be connected to the Spirit. Once the believers allows the Spirit to dominate their lives, God will equip us with the gifts of the Spirit that are need. The Spirit instructs the believer what gift(s) he/she has been given, how to use these gifts and when to use them. The gifts needed are determine by the situation at hand. Submitting to the Spirit leading is key.

I have been speaking in tongues close to 15 years. However, for many years I never understood the exact meaning, how it works exactly and the power behind it. When I speak in tongues I can feel my confidence in the word growing stronger and stronger. My ability to believe in the promises God made to me increases. I sense my spirit being built up and more in control than my flesh. Unfortunately, I allowed the things of the world to hinder my diligence and consistency. Because of the teachings I am receiving at Word of Faith and my own personal studies, I now know that when situations come up they were caused to distract me from the blessings that are coming my way. God said, “But he shall receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life,” Mark 10:30. Understanding the purpose of speaking in tongues helps me to stay focused on the word and its promises. It keeps me steady during the storms in my life.

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Donna, your comment about not understanding the exact meaning of speaking in tongues and the power behind it is something that I can definitely relate to. Many times, we as believers, do not have the full knowledge or understanding of our benefits/gifts for one reason or another. I believe that speaking in tongues is a common example. My personality is that I do not like things/circumstances that I cannot control. I do not know if it is the napoleon complex or the 1st born complex or what, but at some point that is just how I became. When I first started speaking in tongues, I didn’t care for it outside of the fact that it was God’s will for me to do so. I couldn’t understand what I was saying which meant I didn’t have control over the situation so it was not my favorite thing to do. It was not until recently when I matured a little more in my faith walk, is when I realized that just like everything I do as a believer, it is by faith that I am speaking in tongues. Therefore, I have to trust that God knows what and who He needs me to pray for. Romans 8:26-27

Pamisha, thanks for your transparency.  When I first encounter people who spoke in tongues (i.e. family members), I thought they had lost their minds.  What was this?  Why would I need to do it?  And who gave it to you?  Then when I finally gave it a try.  They took me in the Tarrying Room and they had me say, “Thank you, Jesus,” as fast as could. That encounter not only confused me but it made me not want to do it anymore.  They actually invited me back to try again but I never went.  It wasn’t until I had an encounter with a Pentecostal preacher that my whole life change.  She ministered to me, just like we do at Word of Faith, about tongues and after she ministered she led me in a prayer and immediately I spoke out.  Say What????   It was one of the most refreshing and amazing experience I have had in my walk with God.   The Bible tells us, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.”  Not knowing was the issue.  When someone really took time with me and shared the benefits, all I could do was received.  Blessings.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Donna, I can relate completely to not understanding what I was saying. I didn’t grow up in a Word Church and speaking in tongues were never taught nor mentioned. Then I heard talk about it being simply “babbling”. I am ever so greatful for Word of Faith and what we have been taught and are still being taught. I pray in tongues daily, whether in Church, at home, in the car, grocery shopping or at work. I NEED my Prayer language!!

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

Speaking in tongues is important for the believer because it’s the biblical way to receive the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul wrote about this subject in 1 Cort 14:18 to encourage believers that they may access the Power of Holy Spirit, obtain edification and cleansing from unrighteousness. Acts 2: 4 excerpt that speaking in tongues verifies one is filled with the Holy Ghost. “Speaking in Tongues is an initial evidence of one being baptized of the Holy Spirit” . I think All believers goal at reaching the height of prayer is the visitation of the Holy.

I agree with Perez’s comment concerning the attributes one accesses for speaking in tongues which is being filed with the Holy Spirit. It connects one to all the other gifts. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are special abilities provided by the Holy Spirit to Christians for the purpose of building up the body of Christ. In order to access the abilities one must be under a special supernatural circumstance which is being filled with the Holy Spirit.  Being filled with he Holy Spirit should be ranked as number one

collective comments enlightened me and concerns me on this topic. Mr. Ottley excerpt his research/findings that praying tongues is our heavenly language that only God can understand to help us. When people are battling situation and are unable to speak in tongues what happens to them. Is there any other way for them? Brother Walter speaks on speaking in unknown tongue accesses the spirit realm  where power is received. It appears, one cannot access any of the other gifts unless they are speaking in tongues.

I have been praying in tongues for about 8 years. I really don’t remember my first experience it seemed to happen once it was suggested of me however, I do remember being shy about it. Mainly as someone else commented, because it didn’t sound like others. I remember trying to sound like otherr but that did happen. Also periodically my tongue praying changes. I just go with the flow, but my experiences are truly supernatural and personal. Praying in tongues allows me to center myself, provides me with a refreshing, and  it’s why I am able to get the things asked for in his will.

Pamesha Perez
      Participant

Although speaking in tongues is ranked 8th out of the 9 gifts of the Spirit, it is still an important gift to a believer’s daily life in many ways. One way is that it has helped me strengthen my faith walk with God. When I speak in tongues during group settings, I make a conscious effort to not imitate other believers’ utterances, but focus on how and what God wants me to speak. The whole idea of speaking in tongues is that it is unknown to us, therefore I need to have faith that what I am saying is from God to God (1 Corinthians 14:2). Another way that speaking in tongues is important is that it is the evidence that we have been baptized by the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4) which brings us to their connection.

The connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit is that the manifestation of any of the gifts of the Spirit is evidence of the infilling of the Spirit. We know that that the nine gifts of the Spirit are the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, the discernment of Spirits, the gift of faith, the working of miracles, the gifts of healings, prophesy, divers kinds of tongues, and interpretation of tongues, however not all believers have manifested any of these gifts simply because they have not received the infilling of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 7-11).

What believers did in fact receive was the indwelling of the Spirit when he/she became born-again which is evidence that they are believers only. I believe that when we are born-again, the Holy Spirit plants itself inside of us like a seed (indwelling) which produces the 9 fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control). When the Holy Spirit comes upon us believers who receives that power (infilling), we are now able to manifest the gifts of the Spirit which are mentioned above.

I have been praying in tongues for 4 years now and one noticeable benefit for me is that it reminds me that God is in me and always with me. One of my biggest challenges has always been self-control. Last Sunday, when our class was taught about constantly speaking in tongues throughout the day, I decided to be obedient and did just that. I would pray in tongues while driving in the car, at home, at work, etc. All I can say is that it has truly helped me to stay in peace and keep in remembrance that God knows every time I act up. Now it does not put me in a sin-conscious mindset. What it does do is remind me of the goodness and love of God that dwells inside of me and because of this I can handle any good or bad situation that comes my way.

My question for the class is do you believe that every believer who has been baptized of the Spirit, operate all 9 gifts of the Spirit or just select gifts (ex. speaking in tongues)?

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Pamesha, I too pray in tongues in my vehicle often. I tend to be challenged by road rage and used to swear. I would feel so ashamed of myself. I prayed and as asked God to help me combat that issue. Along with prayer and being reminded that the Holy Spirit dwells within me, I began praying in tongues. It has kept my road rage down and my tongue in subjection.

Kudos on your act of obedience. It isn’t aslways easy for us to be obedient especially when no one else is watching. But, a constant encourager is that the Holy Spirit is slways with us, so he knows everything. As well as the fact that praying in tongues draws God closer to us so His presence is also always near.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Monica, I can relate to what you are saying regarding road rage because I use to drive really fast.  What I found is father God would strategically place a slow vehicle in front of me and when that happens I immediately learn to say thank you God because I it was for my safety.  One of those trips I took around Mount Sinai was for patience and like Joyce Meyers like to say “I’m not where I need to be but thank God I’m not where I use to be.”

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”><span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Jude 1:20 But ye beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost. </span>Speaking in tongues is a GIFT given to us by as believers by the Holy Spirit.  This happens the moment we accept the Lord Jesus as our Saviour. We are filled with the ability by the Holy Ghost to speak in tongues because of his presence dwelling within us, with the utterance of speaking things that we are not capable of speaking without his presence. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Col. 2:7 Rooted and  built up in him (the Holy Ghost) and stablished  in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving</span>. When we pray in tongues the spirit help us to pray for things seen in the natural and the unseen thing  in the Supernatural as well as the unknown, which we see manifestation  in the natural. It is one of the ways we communicate to God in our own language, that he understands. it spending time in our own pray time praying and exalting God, building up our faith in his in God and his word. Act 19:6 And Paul laid his hand upon them, and the Holy Ghost came on them, and they spake with tongues and prophesied. Praying in tongues also edifies our spirit, we build our selves up  in our inner man. tongues also cleanses up from unrighteousness of  the heart -(unclean feelings), Spirit (inner man), Soul- Mind (unclean thinking). Ex: When I Pray in the Holy Ghost or Tongues, my spirit feels les burden down, with worries, cares, trails even though I know they are still there, the presence that comes from praying in tongues releases the fresh anointing and the GOD IN MY LIFE,  AND NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. Praying in tongues acknowledges the presence of the Holy Ghost  in the life of the believer, and through praying in tongues the spirit makes  intercession in our pray life as we are reaching out to God. Praying in tongues enables us to enter God’s Greater Glory, where manifestation of what is in the secret places  in the Supernatural is revealed to us in the natural. The importance of speaking in tongues in the Christian’s life is while we are praying the spirit, himself helps with our deformities and weaknesses, because we make think we know what to pray for, but the Holy Ghost makes intercession and help make our prayers to be perfect unto God, our Farther. He searches the heart and minds of the spirit man (our  inner man). (Testimony) About 2 weeks ago, I had a headache the likes of which I had to lay down and don’t move. It started Saturday morning around 9:00 a.m.., so I decided to just lay down for about an hour and see If the headache will go away. after lying down for tens minutes or more, I said enough of this pain. I am a child of the Most High God and I got out my scripture and declared 1st John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment, because as he is, so are we in this world. Then I went boldly to the to God and started praying in tongues, in less than five (5) minutes the headache was gone and I haven’t  felt the pain again  since. When we pray with groaning and utterances that only God understands, it profits us because we receive the benefits of his intercession in our answered prayers, the blessing and goodness of his protection and grace in our lives. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Eph. 6:17-18 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with prayer and supplication in</span> <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>the Spirit.</span> This passage reminds us that we must pray always  in all prayer,(which includes tongues), not only naturally but with our heavenly prayer language, with supplication-earnestly in the spirit, with thanksgiving, always giving god thanks for what he has done and is still doing and will do in the future. Tongues builds up our perseverance in the Holy Ghost, it strengths our faith in the Word of God, which is the foundation of our prayer life. We must have the  Rema Word of God and the Sword of the Spirit rooted and grounded in us , so that we can and will be effectual and fervent prayer warriors, standing  and interceding on behalf of our Pastor, Bishop, Nation, Family, and the World. No only are we to pray in spiritual songs, hymns and spiritual melody in our hearts, but with spiritual utterance that goes straight to the throne room of God. So speaking in tongues is very important  and critical in the life of a believer</p>

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

It is vitally important that we as Believers speak in tongues. Firstly, speaking in tongues is evidence of the Holy Sprit. (Acts 2:4) Without the presence of the Holy Spirit there can be no speaking in tongues. (John 14:16-17) Just we are currently, urged to speak in tongues, Paul urged and was proud that he spoke in tongues often. (Acts 9:0-12, 17)

The connection between infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit is that, without the infilling of the Spirit the gifts of the Spirit aren’t made available to us. Likewise, the more we speak in tongues the more sensitive we are to the presence of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling. Due to the Holy Spirit’s presence the fruit of the Spirit (9) gifts are made available. (I Corinthians 12:8-11) They are categorized into (3) groups; Gifts of Knowing, Gifts of Doing and Gifts of Speaking. Once, the more that we speak in tongues the greater the blessing of these (9) gifts are in our lives.

One major area in my life that speaking in tongues has helped me is in the area of keeping my tongue under subjection. (James 3:8) Now, I don’t use profanity. However, I have been known to having a sharp tongue and usually it appeared when being harassed or frustrated. Thankfully, since being filled with the Holy Spirit and under the prompting of Minister Sierra in 2006 during morning prayer, I began speaking in tongues. It is still used daily in my life. Whether, it is to keep my tonguein subjection or used dai throughout the day in Prayer.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Monica, I can definitely relate. There are soo many moments where its been soo easy for me to just go off at the mouth….BUT God. I wont dear say that I’ve never slipped, but I hear that small voice saying “not Ezrikah, don’t say it” or “Ezrikah, a soft answer drives away wrath”. Soo many times I’ve had to ask for forgiveness because of my stubbornness. I can say that I’m growing more sensitive to the Holy Spirit and I’m being more obedient than in the past to when he advises me to keep my trap shut.

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

Praying in Tongues is very important because it is the initial sign or evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost. This was first seen in <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Acts 2:4</span> on the day of Pentecost.

• …And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the spirit gave them utterance.”

It is also the believer’s personal language, and according to <b><u>1Corinthians 14:2</u> </b>when we do it we speak directly to God.

• For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God…in the Spirit he speaks mysteries.”

Tongues is also a tool of spiritual self-edification as evidenced in <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>1Corinthians 14:4 &14</span>

• “He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself…For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.”

Tongues reminds us of the Spirit’s in dwelling presence, which means it comforts us as seen in <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>John14:16-17 and Acts 9:31</span>

• “And I will pray to the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that he may abide with you forever…He dwells with you and will be in you…and walking in the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.”

Tongues also enable’s us to:

• Pray in line with God’s Perfect Will <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Romans 8:26-27</span>
      • Build ourselves up in faith <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Jude 1:20</span>
      • Keep ourselves free of worldly contamination <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>1Corinthians 14:28</span>
      • Pray for the unknown <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>1Corinthians 14:2</span>
      • Receive Spiritual Refreshings <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Isaiah 28:11-12</span>
      • Give Thanks<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”> 1Corinthians 14:15-17</span>
      • Bringbthe tongue under subjection <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>James 3:8</span> (This is so important for me, I be at work like, “Take the wheel ‘Jesus’ Please Take the wheel”)

(<b><i>And thanks to Minister Abbott Tongues is means of getting an A on her upcoming quiz…^_^…this entire excerpt can be used as study guide if you missed anything last Sunday)</i></b>

In my opinion based on what I have read, tongues can be viewed as the connection between the infilling of the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit, let me explain. As we all know, one cannot receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit until one becomes a born again believer. When we ask God to forgive our sins, and come into our hearts, we receive the Spirit of the living God.

For the gifts to manifest in us we must:

• Desire- 1Corinthians 12:31
      • Believe-1Corithians 14:12
      • <strong style=”font-style: italic;”>Ask-Luke 11:9 & John 14: 14 (But your motives must be to edify)

Tongues can be seen the connection between the two because (1) as before mentioned it is the initial sign of receiving the Holy Ghost {Acts 2:4}, and (2) it is the gateway to receiving other gifts.

How so do you ask?…Lol^_^

Remember praying in tongues builds our faith, spiriually edifies us, and allows us to be in the world but not of it. When we do these things we leave ourselves open to the spirit, allowing him to take us to higher levels. Also if we look at <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>1Corinthians 12:28</span> notice the Gifts of the Spirit are listed from first to last. Tongues is the last listed, which makes it the entry level point on the spiritual hierarchy. (Boy, He wasn’t kidding when he said the last would be first) Apostleship being the highest and last gift one can receive.

(Also again in <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>1Corinthians12:29-30</span> the same order is used as Paul questions the Corinthians)

Thank You^_^

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

The honest truth is, I don’t pray in tongues. It just doesn’t work. I try and I say stuff, but there is no fire in the belly or none of that. Just odd words coming from my head, or I honestly imitate what I hear. I’ve seen my mom and my best friend do it, but I just can’t. I stayed on my knees crying praying for hours once and something happened that I still can’t explain. I don’t talk about it much because it scares me. So see, even though I know all that information I just wrote in my head, I don’t understand it in my spirit, and that breaks my heart. I believe when it is supposed to happen it wil.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

How important is speaking in tongues and what is the connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit?

Speaking in tongues is very important according to the book; The Holy Spirit and His Gifts (Kenneth Hagin), it is the Bible evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. In other words, when you are filled with the Spirit, you will speak in tongues.  That is how born-again believers appropriate the power of the Holy Spirit in their lives to see the daily blessings that is theirs because of the finished work of Jesus on the cross–it is a done deal!

The book also mentioned ten (10) reasons why every believer should speak in tongues:

1. We speak with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives us utterance.
      2. Speaking in tongues in your individual prayer lives is a means of spiritual edification or building up.
      3. Speaking in tongues keeps us continually aware and conscious of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling Presence; that is bound to affect the way you think and live.
      4. Speaking in tongues eliminates the possibility of selfishness entering our prayer life.
      5. Speaking in tongues help us learn to trust God more fully.
      6. Speaking in tongues is a means of keeping us free, from the contamination of the ungodly and profane elements of the world.
      7. Speaking in tongues provides a way for things to be prayed for about which no one thinks to pray or even aware of.
      8. Speaking in tongues cause the weary to rest and this is the refreshing.
      9. Speaking in tongues is to give thanks to God.
      10. Speaking in tongues is yielding any member of your body (especially your tongue) to God.

The connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit is the Presence of the indwelling in born-again believers.  According to the text, The Person of the Holy Spirit (Dr. Lester Sumrall), regarding the infilling of the Spirit:

• He lives inside the born-again person.  (Romans 8:16) The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.
      • He does not just visit the believer, He resides within him! (Romans 8:9) But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.  Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ he is not His.

Gifts of the Spirit according to the texts, The Person of the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit and His Gifts:

• The out pouring of the Spirit was prophesied in the Old Testament. (Joel 2:28-29) And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit and all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy.  Your old men shall dream, dreams.  Your young men shall see visions.  And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.
      • This promise was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost.  (Acts 2:16, 33) But this is what was spoken by the Prophet Joel. Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit. he poured out this which you now see and hear.
      • But he who is in you–the Holy Ghost–is greater!  The Greater One is in you if you are born-again.  God Himself in the Person of the Holy Spirit lives in the born-again believer.  All that God could possibly be to you and do for you, the Holy Ghost through His indwelling Presence is to you and for you and in you.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

Share with your classmates how long you have been praying in tongues and the benefits you have personally experienced.

I started praying in tongues sometime in 2011 or 2012 I do not recall the year but I do know I was introduced to it by Minister Walker when I came to early morning prayer.  The benefits I have experienced praying in tongues is dying to self as well as having an intimate relationship with the holy spirit.  For example, I consider myself to be a “just do it” person; however, the holy spirit teaches me to enter into that blessed rest by adhering to, trusting in, and relying on Him.  This is easier said that done because I remember many times when the Holy Spirit told me to rest and I felt like he was taking too long so I will take care of it.  Time is longer than twine–just like the Israelites marched around Mount Sinai for forty years for disobedience I found myself taking that route in my own personal life.  However, I must say I learn to obey regardless of how it looks or how I feel and it is much better than doing it myself.  Therefore, I must say speaking in tongues calms my body, mind and soul it also gives me the power to overcome speaking explicitly (blankety#!!blank-blank) that the old me would have used to take care of situations. Thank God for Deliverance.

Pamela, I thank God for the benefit of praying in other tongues and know that it helps me to control my tongues.

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Speaking in tongues is extremely important for every believer. First off, this is the sign confirming that the Holy Spirit dwells in us, that our comforter and guide is there with us as with the disciples on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4. They received what Jesus told they would be baptized with in Acts 1:5 “but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost..”.   Jesus promised us in John 14:26 that the Comforter would come, He knew that we would need help.  We need the Holy Spirit to teach us, He knows all things, and to help us remember what God has said to us.  When we speak in tongues it builds us up in our spirit man 1 Cor. 14:4, because He’s there recharging us!  We’re built up knowing that we’re speaking to directly God as stated in 1 Cor. 14:2.  Every time we speak in our heavenly language, we’re having a chat with Daddy!  In addition, the more we speak in tongues, the more we are reminded that the Spirit is a forever presence in us (John 14:17).  The way we live our lives change, because we’re no longer flying solo.  He’s there as a front seat eyewitness to the way we go through our walk, and we most definitely don’t want to make decisions that would grieve Him (Eph.4:30).</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Speaking in tongues is also important to help us know that we’re speaking out things that are in line with God’s will.  Because the Holy Spirit is one with God and knows the heart of God, we can be sure that what we’re praying is what God wants.  The Holy Spirit will only pray “..according to the will of God” (Rom. 8:27). Tongues also enables us to pray for things, situations, or people that are unknown to us but know to the Spirit.  Rom. 8:26-27 clearly states that “we know not what we should pray for as we ought”.  There are soo many things going on in this world, and there is no way for us to possibly know every situation, BUT Holy Spirit knows exactly what is needed when its needed.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Tongues is also instrumental in helping to build my faith in God, to trust Him more.  I have to trust and believe that the phrases or words coming from my mouth are being given to me from my Father.  It grows my confidence in him, which helps me to believe God for things in other areas of my life.  It keeps me “rooted and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith..” (Col. 2:7).</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>As we go through our lives, there are soo many negative influences around us, and we need to speak in tongues to help us stay clear of being contaminated by the world.  God’s word in Rom. 12:2 warns us to “be not conformed to this world”, and the Holy Spirit helps to keep us free from all the surrounding ungodliness.  When we’re on the job, at the mall, even at the doctor’s office, and things are being presented to our eyes and ears that are not beneficial to our spirit man, we can pray in tongues to help keep un in check.  We can also speak in tongues to give glory to God in those same situations (1 Cor. 14:17).  Ephesians 5:19-20 shows us that in these moments, we can speak to ourselves and sing spiritual songs to Him, making a melody in our hearts to the Lord, which is a great way to block the outside distractions.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Our spirits are also refreshed when we speak in tongues!  God wants us to enter into his rest (Heb. 4:5), and the Holy Spirit takes us to that place where we can rest.  Isaiah 28: 11-12 makes it evident that speaking in tongues causes us to enter into a rest and a refreshing in our spirit.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Finally, we all know that the tongue is an unruly and we are told to “refrain our tongue from evil” in 1 Pet. 3:10.  Speaking in tongues helps us to give it over to the control of the Holy Spirit.  As the book of James says in chapter 3:8, no man can tame it.  The Holy Spirit is our only help in this area!</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>There is definitely a connection between the infilling of the Spirit and the Gifts of the Spirit.  I’ve come to see that there is no way we can receive the gifts without having the Spirit within.  The Holy Spirit brings the gifts and operates them as He pleases, the gifts are not independent of Him.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I have been praying in the Spirit for about three or four years now, but I have not been consistent.  However, I have seen that I am stronger when I do.  I’m more inclined to pray in the spirit now because I have a better understanding of its importance in my life.  I see that its got to become more than just a once in awhile prayer, but my every minute of every day way of life.</p>

Ezrikah, thanks for being transparent.  My favorite thing about praying in tongues is that it reminds me that God lives in me.  That is so awesome and mindblowing at the same time.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center