Home Forums Layperson’s I – Section 1 – Benefits of the Cross Forum Benefits of the Cross Forum 1 (Week 1)

Benefits of the Cross Forum 1 (Week 1)

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Good day, Students,

This is your week 1 forum.  Kindly, read the devotional by Rick Renner from “Sparkling Gems from the Greek,” “The Greatest Price Ever Paid to Set a Slave Free!” After reading then post your responses to the questions below.  Remember to interact with one another.  Blessings.

1. What are your thoughts concerning this weeks forum?
      2. How can you repay Jesus for what He has done for you?
      3. How long has it been since you stopped to really meditate on the price Jesus paid so you could be liberated from Satan’s captivity and the power of sin?

The Greatest Price Ever Paid to Set a Slave Free!

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
      Titus 2:14
      The word “redeem” used in the verse above is one of the most important words in the entire New Testament, so today I want us to look more deeply into its historical roots. Since Jesus redeemed us, we need to know all the powerful images that are contained in this key New Testament word!In New Testament times, slaves could be very costly. When a slave purchaser came to the slave market to look for a new slave, he would meander through the aisles of the marketplace, his eyes roaming over all the slaves for sale as he searched for the one he wanted. After pinpointing the slave who seemed to fit his needs, the purchaser was then allowed to inspect the slave’s condition. The purpose of this inspection was similar to that of a test drive when a person is checking out a car before he purchases it. Just as every buyer wants to be sure he’s getting a good product, every slave buyer wanted to check out the merchandise before he put his money on the table.

The inspection included physically beating the slave to see how he responded to abuse, so the purchaser would know how much “wear and tear” the slave could take on the job. The buyer was also allowed to pull open the slave’s mouth and look at his teeth to see if they were rotten or in good shape as he tried to establish the slave’s physical health before making an offer to purchase him.

If the buyer decided to proceed with the purchase after the inspection was complete, it was then time for the next stage of the process — that moment when the slave was put on the auction block. When the auctioneer knew that a buyer really had his eye set on a specific slave, he would take that as a signal to push the price for that slave as high as possible. And if the buyer continued to show interest in that same slave, that would let the auctioneer know he could demand a completely unreasonable price and probably get it!

All of these images are contained in the word “redemption,” which comes from the Greek word “lutroo.” This is the word used in Titus 2:14, where Paul says, “…That he might redeem us from all iniquity….” This Greek word depicts a person who paid a very high price to obtain the slave of his choice. Once the price was offered and accepted, that slave became his personal property.

However, the word “lutroo” was used in another very significant way that also has to do with the concept of redemption. At times, a caring and compassionate individual would come to the slave market for the sole purpose of purchasing slaves out of slavery to liberate and set them free! In this case, the payment offered was viewed as a ransom — paid to obtain freedom for slaves.

Because Paul uses the word lutroo to denote the redemptive work of Jesus Christ on our behalf, it tells us several important things:

1. Jesus came into the world, Satan’s slave market, because He was looking for us.
      2. Jesus knew He wanted us and wouldn’t be satisfied until the purchase was complete.
      3. Jesus was willing to pay any price demanded to purchase us from the slave market.
      4. Jesus purchased us with His own blood so we would become His own personal property.
      5. Jesus paid the price with His blood, purchased us for Himself, and gave us a liberating freedom that can only be known because of His work in our lives!

Our freedom from Satan’s power was extremely expensive. The price Jesus paid for us was the highest price ever paid for a slave. What was the ransom that Jesus paid in order to procure our freedom from Satan’s ownership? His own blood!

This means that the word lutroo in Titus 2:14 conveys this idea:

“Who gave Himself for us, that He might purchase us out of the slave market to become His own personal property — yes, He was willing to pay the ransom price to see us liberated and set free.…”

It was the shedding of Jesus’ own blood that guaranteed our deliverance and lasting freedom from the demonic powers that had previously held us captive. The word lutroo unmistakably means Jesus paid the ransom that set you and me free! He bought us with His own blood! As Hebrews 9:12 says, “Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.”

Jesus gave Himself as the ransom to set you free from sin. Someone had to enter Satan’s slave market, so Jesus chose to go. Someone had to offer a price, so Jesus offered to pay the price for your freedom with His own blood. Someone had to finalize the deal, so Jesus willingly paid the price with His own life on the Cross.

sparking gems from the greek

My Prayer for Today

Lord, I want to thank You for loving me so much that You gave Your precious blood on the Cross for me. I was so lost and so hopeless, but You came for me — and when You came into my life, everything in me changed. Hope, joy, and peace came into my heart, and today I am completely different from the person I used to be. All this happened because of Your shed blood, Jesus, so today I want to take this moment to thank You for doing what no one else could do for me!

I pray this in Jesus’ name!

My Confession for Today

I declare that Jesus’ blood purchased my deliverance and lasting freedom from the demonic powers that had previously held me captive. Jesus loves me so much that He was willing to do for me what no one else was willing to do. He went into the slave market, found me, and bought me for Himself. For the rest of my life, I will live to serve and glorify Him.

I declare this by faith in Jesus’ name!

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

My thoughts on this week’s Forum was a reminder of how much Jesus loves me. It refreshed my memory of the price Jesus paid for my freedom.

I can repay Jesus by living my life for Him; by giving glory to Him always. Everyday,  I will strive to live a life that’s pleasing and acceptable to Him.

It has been quite sometime since I’ve “meditated” on the price Jesus paid for my liberation from Satan’s captivity and the power of sin. I am aware and thankful, but I haven’t recently meditated on the price that was paid for me.

Monica, thanks for opening up this week. Jesus paid a very high prices. He paid with his own blood. That was a true demonstration of LOVE. Because of this we can walk in total liberty not bound, hindered, block or stopped by anything. Now in exchange he just wants you to surrender your life totally and complete. Class think on this today, what area(s) am I holding onto or holding back that are hindering me from giving God my all? SELAH……….

Diamond Carter
        Participant

God is so Good He always gives us New Mercies, alone with Grace to help us revisit The Cross, Monica

Rhonda
        Participant

Monica, I share the same sentiments as you… living my life for Jesus is truly an honor for me, after all he endured and the price he paid for me.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Rhonda, I honestly can’t see my life any other way. I’m truly great full that Christ died for me and invited me to spend eternal life in His kingdom.

Stacy, I knew that my life was missing something.  My Spirit yearned to be reunited with Christ. I was living a life of sin all while still attending Church. It was acceptable to party Fridays and Saturdays and attend Church on Sundays without any guilt. It wasn’t until I truly accepted Him into my heart that I was able to do away with that lifestyle. At times I compromised my walk by getting into relationships that led me back to sin. I began to feel hypocritical and that I was disappointing my Lord. I vowed to myself and my Lord not to compromise my walk. A couple years ago I was told by a friend that he couldn’t date me because I was too Christian like. I was ELATED!!! I was doing things right and it showed!!!

Ladies, what do you think your life would have been like had you not accepted Jesus into your hearts?

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Ladies, the Love of Christ is so awesome that He willingly gave His life for a ransom for us.  Knowing that He was human just like us, and walk the street just like us, you can’t help but give him praise for the price he paid.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Monica, this forum enlightened and refreshed the love Christ have for us.  We always have to refresh our mind on the price Jesus paid for our freedom.  I have learn that if I don’t refresh important things in my mind, I tense to forget and take for granted the real purpose.  When I think about Jesus it gives me such a joy in my soul.  What a awesome God we serve!

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

I can’t say that I’m holding back, but I definitely need to manage my time more wisely so that I can spend more time with Him on an intimate level.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

When I accepted Christ I knew that I was in sin and that I needed / wanted to be saved. Jesus did that and He called me out of the world. I know that but until I read this passage I had never thought of myself, ( the world) as a slave to sin / satan. But  we were slaves to sin,  to fear, anxiety, depression,anger and so much more. Slaves are powerless, and mean nothing to their master other than profit. But God so loved us that He sent His Son to save us and Jesus so loved us that he willingly shed His blood to set us free. Thank you Lord! I’m praying for greater revelation in this area as I meditate and learn. It is late and I’m tired and probably overthinking but struggling with the word repay. I honor Him, praise Him,  glorify Him, share Him, live my life for him but I can never repay what He’s done for me or is this repayment. Help

That was great Stacy. It is true we can never repay because Jesus was the only sinless sacrifice however instead of repay think of it this way, “in return for what Jesus has done for me what can I do for him?”  There are some many things that God has asked us to do large and small and sometimes we are unwilling, reluctant, and just flat out disobedient i.e.call so and so, go visit this person or sow this seed.  Jesus can only touch the world through you so what can you do to help him, since he has done so much for you?  I hope this helps.  CLASS LET ME HERE FROM YOU ON THIS.

Marita Smith
      Participant

My thoughts concerning this week’s forum is that Jesus paid the ultimate price for me not with money as u would normally use to purchase items, but with his precious blood. That tells me that he loved me that much that he freely give his life for me so that I can be free from the power of sin and death, that’s more than what anyone on this earth will ever do for me but he did it out of pure love for me. Jesus I thank you because now I can enjoy all the benefits of being a child of God, healing, peace, joy righteousness, deliverance, and prosperity. I can never repay what he did for me, but I can let his light shine in me and live a life of righteousness. I can also let others know what he has done for me, and he can do the same for them. It hasn’t been long since I meditated on the price Jesus paid for me, because when I look at my life from where I was and where I was heading to where I am now, all I could say is thank God for Jesus.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Marita, I love how you share our benefit packages, that was the whole salvation, nothing missing and nothing broken.  We have wholeness in Jesus because of  the awesome price he paid at the cross.  Just to think that he had us on his mind even when we were loss in sin. What a mighty God!

Marita, that is so true there is no amount of money that could have purchased our redemption (That’s really good).  He had to pay the price with his own blood.  I am so thankful.

Marita Smith
      Participant

Rhonda, Stacy, Monica The word says his grace is sufficient for you where you are weak he will make you strong, just continue trusting in him in his word and he will help you. The fact that you have accepted him as your Lord and Saviour means you are on the right path, he will never leave you nor forsake you nor will he take you where he can’t keep you!!

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

My thoughts concerning this week forum, is that, “WE ARE LOVE!” We were slave to sin and Jesus saw it fit to give Himself as a ransom for us, redeeming us out of the slave master (Satan) hand. When I think on the price he paid, I can’t help but to ask who would have paid that price for me. Hallelujah! That was perfect love.

Just thinking about how He liberated us with such an expensive price, how can we ever pay Him back. I don’t think we can do any thing that will measure up to that awesome price He paid on the cross at Calvary.

It was last week I was in amazement with the price Jesus paid for me. I thought at that time if I was the only person, He would have shield His blood just for me. And I thank Him for the freedom I have in Him. Amen!

Diamond Carter
      Participant

My thoughts concerning this weeks forum is Amazement, Love and thank fullness.

I can never repay Jesus for the price He paid for my freedom from slavery of this world. I can live right, talk right, keep my body which is my reasonable service and keep His greatest commandment, Love! I can tell others of the great price He paid for us all by being an effective witness alone with Praise and Worship.

It has been only two weeks ago , I heard a teaching on the Cross, I thought I had been meditating on it but I find not truly because I didn’t picture the great price in my minds eye. I looked at it with what I thought was right but since reading this form I can see I left out to many facts. I thank God for New Mercies and another chance to get it right.

Roxanne Rhymer
      Participant

Jesus came to the slave market looking for me!!!!!  He saw me in my sin and still chose me!  He paid the highest price he could possibly pay for me! His own blood!  He paid my ransome and set me free.  This hit me hard Ladies.  I never looked at redemption this closely before.  Jesus sole purpose was to set me free.  He loosed me.  So when I feel chained down and heavy it is a lie from the enemy! He freed me!  He paid the highest price for me!  I am no longer falling for the lies.   I am free!  What a great GOD!

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Roxanne, I love how you personalize the love of Jesus, “He came to the slave market looking for me.” that give it a personal flavor, He would have done it for you alone, setting you free from the hand of the enemy (Satan). Amen!

Roxanne Rhymer
      Participant

Lilly I agree. We are LOVED! It could only be done by JESUS. Because of His love for me I have been redeemed. He paid it all for us out of love. That make any other love pale in comparison. We could never repay Him but living for Him is the most we can do! Such a loving GOD.

I love the post to this weeks forum and how you have personalized what Jesus has done for you.  Even though Jesus died for the sins of the world you must make it personal, “He died for me, He paid the price for me.”  Because the whole time he had you on his mind.  We have been set free… free to worship him… free to serve him…. free to praise him and free to share with other what he has done.    Meditate on this all week long and we will go further in our discussion on Thursday.  Blessings.

Roxanne Rhymer
      Participant

Min. Abbott we can allow ourselves to be used by Him for his glory. Allow Him to flow through us to reach out to others. We can tell the world how Good He is. We can spread his word to everyone that He allows to cross our path.  We can never repay Him but I am beginning to see that this is an honor that God has allowed us partake in.

Rhonda
      Participant

My thoughts concerning this weeks forum can best be summarized with one word, “Thankful”!

The cross was used by the Romans as a shameful and horrible death. Jesus purchased me with his own precious blood, the ultimate sacrifice. I can never truly repay Jesus for what he has done for me, but I can live my life serving him for the rest of my days, learning & sharing the Gospel and walking in love daily with others. I can also put myself in remembrance of what Jesus did through communion as Jesus spoke about in Luke 22:19-20. Luke 22:19 “And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.”

Dying on the cross was the ultimate goal of Jesus, for He said in Mark 10:45, “I came to minister and to give my life as a ransom for many.” For me, I have to admit that I haven’t stopped enough to really meditate on the price Jesus paid so I could be liberated from the enemy’s captivity and the power of sin. My heart’s desire is to hide the word in my heart and apply the finished work of the cross to my life. I continue to ask God for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation and for a deeper understanding of Jesus Christ dying on the cross at Calvary.

Rhonda, thankful is the appropriate response for what he has done.  I loved the scripture you used from the book of Mark “I came to minister and to give my life as a ransom for many.”  To know that he willing suffered on our behalf truly reveals the amazing love God has for us all.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

Ladies, your responses were so heartfelt! I felt the presence of God reading each and every comment. I am eternally great full that Jesus paid the ultimate price just for me! There is no other that would have made such a sacrifice so I could be free from bondage. My life belongs to Him!

Donna Riley
        Participant

Rhonda I whole heartedly agree with you on being “Thankful”
        I have been a Christian for 32 years and research many topics in the Bible in depth. This is the one topic I have purposely avoided because of how much pain is involved. I have listened to many sermons on the cross, but somewhere in the middle I end up tuning the pastor out. Even now as a read and meditate on the subject I have to force myself to remain focus. Because of this class I am force to remain focus, however it is not easy. Because I understand things by seeing them in my mind, I try to comprehend the horrific magnitude of the end of the journey Jesus undertook by vividly seeing and trying to experience some of his feelings of not only the pain (which is unimaginable), but being alone, being rejected, humiliated, scorned and so on. We black people can understand on a certain level because it cuts deep when someone is racist against us, this is a hurtful experience. But we did not agree to be humiliated or killed for the benefit of the ones doing us wrong. What we have experience is far below what Jesus went through and he did it willingly and on top of that He asked God to forgive us. “WOW!” I don’t ever want to take what Jesus did for me for granted. He is truly wonderful. He truly deserves all of our praise all the glory and all the honor.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

Just finished some of Paid in Full and it was very hard to read what Jesus suffered to save me. I know that He did it just for me but he sacrificed himself for all of us but not everyone knows that they have been set free. I can share that GOOD NEWS and I will be obedient to what he tells me to do and say to accomplish His will in the earth. Monica, when I think about what my life would be like now if I hadn’t accepted Christ and his transformative power it always leads me to think of what my children’s lives would be like. I’m forever grateful to Him.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Stacy that book (Paid in full)!!! It said it all, that book is awesome. It made the price Jesus paid come alive.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Hi Donna, even though the movie Passion For Christ is a pale comparison of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Each time I watch it I cry…no….I bawl!!! It hurts me to see what they did to Him. That always reminds me of the price He paid and how Blessed we are for His sacrifice.

Rhonda
        Participant

Hi Stacy, I also had a hard time reading the book, “Paid in Full”. After reading the title of the first chapter that we were assigned (Chapter 20 – A Human Ruler Mocks the King of Kings and Lord of Lords), I literally had to put it down and mentally prepare myself to continue reading. I am also forever grateful.

Donna Riley
      Participant

Donna Riley
      Week 1 Forum

1 What are your thoughts concerning this week’s forum?

The first thing that comes to mind is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Where would I be today without you Jesus? Even when I think about the situations I put myself in as a young adult out there having fun, where would I be today and forever if I had died not being saved. I am so grateful that I got the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I am so grateful that I brought my children up on the word. I planted them on a solid foundation and that is the best inheritance I could ever give them. I feel so often that the words in my vocabulary are insufficient to express what is truly in my heart. And again Jesus provided because now I can communicate in tongues knowing that Holy Spirit speaks the words correctly for me. Thank you Jesus for purchasing me. When I read the forum it reassured me that I made the correct decision, no regrets. I don’t say this lightly because I have many regrets, thank you Jesus the choice I made freely to accept you into my life is not one of them. Because of forgiveness God has healed all memories that had held me back from being all that you want me to be. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

2 How can you repay Jesus for what He has done for you?

Can Jesus ever be repaid? My personal belief is no. However, we can live up to the expectations He has for us, of course, only with his help. The following are three ways we can do just that:

First, Accept the reason he died for us and that is salvation.
      Jesus promised that if we accept and obey him that we will never thirst again. Only Jesus satisfies our desires in ways that the world never could. That gaping hole inside of us that we try to fill with worldly things or deeds remain open because it can only be filled with essence of the creator.

Second, Believe in the power in the name of Jesus.
      The name that is above every name, Jesus. This requires operating on Kingdom principles which operate only by one mean, Faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God. We show our appreciation to God through prayer and trusting God to keep his word. We can show Jesus we truly appreciate what He did for us by turning to Him first in every situation and keeping his laws. Jesus said “If you love me keep my commandments.”

Third, Become a great ambassador for the kingdom
      When others see us they should see Jesus. For example,the situation we are now faced with, gay marriages, we should approach these people with love. Let them know their choice of lifestyle is wrong, but they are still loved. Also, our lives should reflect the benefits received by living by the principles of the kingdom of God.

3 How long has it been since you stopped to really meditate on the price Jesus paid so you could be liberated from Satan’s captivity and the power of sin?

The times I truly meditate on the price Jesus paid are usually when I have gut wrenching experiences in my life and Jesus comes true for me. However since I have started tithing I don’t have these experiences that often so until this class it has been a while, a long while. It is good to be brought back to my foundation to remind me never to take for granted the price paid for my freedom from bondage under satan’s rule.

Donna, I agree my words are not adequate to express the thankfulness I have in my heart for what Jesus has done for me.  There is not amount of service I give in the kingdom that would every compare to what he has done and where he has brought me from.  I am too feel with thankfulness was I mediate on the price he paid for me.  Thanks for your post.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

Donna, I can relate to your experiences when listening to sermons on the cross. At the points when hearing what was done to Jesus got to hard to bear I would put up a mental block. What level of hate can this be? I don’t want to go there. But he went there and faced it and I have to face it as much as I can through this book and revelation so that I never take His sacrifice for granted.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Stacy and Monica I wonder if the roman soldiers and the Jews were human. Who in their right mind could do such things to another human being and gamble for their things while the person is moaning and groaning and begging for help or mercy? It had to be that these people were possessed by demonic spirits which took over their minds and conscience. There is no other explanation. I read that the vinegar and gall was actually a narcotic that dulled the pain. At first, Jesus refused to drink it and be free from the pain because He knew if He did not take this on Him then we would have to suffer the pain. I wonder if Jesus kept the victory of us being free and being able to be with Him pictured in His mind as a focus point to help Him get through this.

I am so thankful jesus paid the price for me there is know explanation why he did took all that pain .why they had to do

so much evil  and he took it .

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Benefits of the Cross Forum 1 (Week 1)’ is closed to new replies.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center