Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 6 – How to Relate to Your Pastor How to Relate to Your Pastor – Discussion Forum – Week 1: May 14-May 20, 2017

How to Relate to Your Pastor – Discussion Forum – Week 1: May 14-May 20, 2017

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Janet Brown
      Keymaster

Layperson’s II Bible School – How to Relate to Your Pastor

Discussion Forum – Week 1 – May 14-20, 2017

Welcome to Week 1 of How to Relate to your Pastor.  For this week’s forum  read the excerpt below and respond to the question.   To receive full credit you must post your comments to the questions by Thursday and respond to two of your classmates by Saturday.  Enjoy!!!

Eph. 4:8 Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”
      Eph. 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, …

One of the greatest gifts that Jesus gives us to grow us up and help us become the man or woman of God He called us to be is the gift of a pastor. Here in Ephesians Paul is telling us about the gifts that Jesus gave to the body of Christ as He ascended into heaven. They are what we call the five-fold ministry gifts. Of those five gifts the one that is called to speak into your life each and every week is the gift of a pastor. What many believers don’t know is that you don’t need to find a church to attend; you need to find the shepherd, the gift of a pastor that Jesus gave you.
      To deny the need for a pastor is to reject one of the most valuable gifts Jesus gave to the body of Christ. I hear many Christians who say they don’t need to go to church, but in fact by making such a statement you are going against what God has provided for you. Every believer who sits at home each and every Sunday thinking they don’t need a shepherd, they are rejecting a gift that Jesus provided for their life. Once you find the pastor not the church that Jesus has for you, you must then realize satan will do everything he can to tear you away from that gift. Why? Because that pastor has a gift on their life that Jesus imparted to them to speak into your life and help you become a powerful believer in Christ.
      For anyone who thinks that finding a shepherd and being a part of a local body is not important, they have chosen to live life on their terms and reject something that God provided for us all to be a part of.

Question:

1. How do you currently relate to your Pastor? 

Marita Smith
      Participant

I currently relate to my pastor by praying for him and his family on a continuous basis. I also relate to my pastor by being  committed to the ministry that God has entrusted him with. As a member and a leader, it is my responsibility to do any and every thing that I can to help bring to pass the vision that God has placed on my pastor’s heart for the ministry. By just showing up when needed is another way I currently relate to my pastor, by doing that, it helps to eliminate a lot from the pastor’s plate which will enable him to spend more time studying and meditating on the word of God.

Another way I currently relate to my pastor is by being faithful to what he has entrusted me with concerning the ministry. I make it a point to always be there even when I don’t feel like it, he can count on me to being there especially in the times of his absence. He doesn’t have to worry or call to find out if I’m there, or if I’m going to show up, he can rest assured that I would be there and to do what is expected of me.

I currently relate to my pastor by ALWAYS making sure that my pastor and the first lady are taking care of during the time of special events at the church. Making sure that they both get something to eat when it involves food, and I make sure that they have a take-out plate to take with them.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Marita, I agree that we have to be faithful and do what we’ve been entrusted to do.  Our flesh will fight against us because there can be so much going on in our lives but we have to crucify our flesh and serve where called.

Rhonda
        Participant

Marita, being committed and dependable are great quality traits to posses to help our Pastor. In these end times (last days) it is important for the body of Christ to support their respective Pastors and help fulfill the mission and vision God has given him for the church. Pastor Walker cannot do everything by himself and he is depending on us to bring in the sheep so he can clean them up.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Marita over the years I have watched you be a faithful servant in this church. You are a great assistant to pastor in the ministry. Your dedication to the teenage ministry is awesome to me and shows me you are someone who has a lot of patience. You do take care of the pastor and his wife when it comes to food sales by making sure their portion is allocated. I cannot remember a time when I did not see you on Sunday or Wednesday night. I know Father God has much blessings and rewards for your diligence and faithfulness.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Sister Marita, I totally agree with the responses to the post about your dedication and service to Pastor, his wife and the ministry.  Which you have demonstrated with your committed submission to service. You  are also an example for the teenagers in the church and also on your job. Pastor and Minister Walker are blessed to have your faithfulness and service.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

How do you currently relate to your pastor?
      I currently relate to my pastor by showing him respect and appreciation. I have always obeyed his leadership with every detail he gives. I appreciate him as a man of God that hear from God. As my spiritual leader, I follow the three steps that he highly instills in his congregation: be actuated, pay attention to details, do as you told. These three phrases have always been his motto for a successful follower or leader.

Secondly, I relate to my pastor by helping to fulfill the vision God places in his heart, by serving in any capacity that is needed. I’m loyal to the position I serve as a Hostess etc. You will find that I follow his direction without murmuring and complaining. When I’m serving, his directive is carried out no matter how one feel, because he is the head of our church and the Lord gives him the vision. I try my best to be as precise as I can.

Thirdly, I also esteem my pastor and his wife highly in love for their work’s sake by praying for them and their family, by showing love, by calling them by their right title, and by giving financial gifts as a token of love. I also walk with integrity and love, not wanting to bring shame to the ministry but to be a blessing. I speak only good of him and not bad, knowing that he is a gift sent from Jesus.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes Lilly you are right if you don’t respect or pastor you will not give respect to your Heavenly Father. Because your pastor comes our Heavenly Father

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I relate to pastor by showing him respect and appreciation. I value his leadership so I listen when he gives me advice or request I do something. I always call him by his title and pray for him and his family.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Yes I to can say yes Sister Marita you have been very faithful in the call to our Pastor and his family. Your continued dedication countless hours you have served making sure that their needs are taken care of.

Donna Riley
      Participant

In order to relate to anyone in a position of authority I believe I must first understand the responsibilities of the position they are in.  I know that my pastor is a Shepherd that leads a flock and God holds him responsible for the welfare of this flock.  This is a great responsibility and not an easy one especially when he has to deal with so many different personalities as well as administrative matters.

I currently relate to my pastor by looking at him as a mentor, spiritual role model or spiritual father.  I watch closely how he relates to life circumstances and would imitate his method of dealing with similar issues in life.  I firmly believe his heart is after doing what God has called him to do.  He has a vision and he has goals set to accomplish this vision.  He just needs help.  Therefore I choose not to be a stumbling block, but to assist him in accomplishing these goals especially in the area of the Helps Ministry.  The work of the Lord should be satisfying and joyful.  It only becomes burdensome when those around will not take up the mantel to help the vision come to pass.  This is one of the reason I took Layperson’s Bible School classes, to have a better understanding of the role of the Helps Ministry.

I know workers are needed in various areas in the church.  I volunteered to work in the children’s ministry because I know my pastor needs help in this area and because I like working with children.  I also enjoy helping meet other people’s needs.  Operation Blessing is an area in which I would like to be involved.

Ephesians 4:11-13 says, “And He gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teacher.  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:” Father God created these positions and placed who He wanted in them for my benefit.  It seems then, that I should be grateful, highly esteem and respect who God has placed over me.  God has chosen for me to be a part of this church, therefore, I choose to submit to my pastor’s authority.  I do this by responding positively and quickly to anything that is asked of me.  I participate both physically and financially in the various functions in the church.  As a business owner, I made the decision to close my business on Sunday.  I believe my pastor hears from God. “And how shall they hear without a preacher?” Romans 10:14   I believe what he has to say to me is more important than making money.  I am a 100% tither and give Offerings.  I believe what he taught me on this matter and I choose to do as the Word of God instructs.  My desire is to do as I see my pastor do and that is to become a faithful and dependable member of this body.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with sister Donna, I look at Pastor as a mentor, spiritual role model and a spiritual father. I too observe when he preaches the realities of life’s circumstances and how to behave in dealing with issues in life. These preaching’s I hold dear because life has challenges and it really helps to know how to deal with worldly situations spiritually.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

Frisk thing I do to relate to my pastor is to know that it was not man give him the power and authority over the church it was God. So I relate to my pastor by knowing that he is the head of the church that God give him to be pastor over. Just like in Ephesians 4:11-13 says: And he gave some to be apostles, some prophets,some evangelist, and some pastors and teachers. But my pastor is my spiritual Laeder and when he say or see something wrong he will talk to you like a pastor or a Spiritual Father.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Raphael it is very important to give anyone in the position of leadership respect. You are absolutely correct in saying Father God placed pastor where he is. When we acknowledge and respect pastor as the head of this body, we are telling God that we are in agreement with Him.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

I too agree with Raphael that God placed Pastor here in the island’s for a purpose and a vision. We can help relate to our pastor by standing  in supplication, prayers intercession and thanksgiving be made for him daily and giving of our service to the ministry without murmuring and complaining. I also agree that he is our spiritual leader and we are to honor and respect his authority

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

How do I currently relate room my Pastor.  Heb. 13:17. The first thing I do is honor and respect  the authority,  anointing,  the gift and responsibilities  that come with office of being a Pastor. Ephesians 4:11 explains God gave gifts of the fivef-fold ministry  That God has given me one of these gifts in my Pastor for instructions, guidance, protection, encouragement, as a mentor, to teach, to discipline, for understanding of the word. Ephesians 4:12.  For the perfecting of the saints, for the works of the ministry, for the edifyinf of the body of Christ. I take this gift and this blessings to be a part of this ministry under the spiritual guidance and growth, in my faith and Christian lifesyle with great joy.

This is another way in which I relate to my Pastor.  I know that he is a man of integrity, honor and respect, full of faith, believes and trusts the word of God  without doubt or reservations. I have watched the way he lives his life, his character,  dedication. His reaction to situations, which is always with confidence,  grace, love, trust and faith. Never murmuring, complaining,  always willing and obedient to obey whatever God tells him to do. 1st Perer 2:5 ye also as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house. He is an example of a Godly man , who produces encouragement, mentorship to the church. This will help me to relate to my Pastor, by following  his example. Learning how stand on the word of God  in grace and truth. I also relate to my Pastor by being dependable,  honorable,  committed, to do the works and to the vision of the ministry.  Working together with my brothers and sisters in supplication,  prayers, and the giving of thanks daily, for our gift in our pastors, the man of God placed in our lives as his gift to us.

Finally,  I relate to my Pastor by not letting any negative words spoken against him, other pastors, or the vision for the church occupy any stronghold within my spirit.  As I have learned last Sunday in Layperson class , these people are not only outsiders but believers as well. They are not there to help the man of God but only to try and place obstacles in his path. They are called erasers. That is a road never want to travel, being a hindrance to the pastor and the church.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Celise I to relate to him as a great mentor and a man of integrity and honor. He surly demonstrates that as a man of God.

Walter Brown
      Participant

I relate to my Pastor firstly by praying for him and his family. Making sure they are covered by prayer on a daily basis. Looking for his needs through praying covering him by the blood and respecting the authority on his life.

Secondly I make sure that anything that is a need around the church one I have knowledge of it it is taking care of it. So he won’t have to focus on doing that task. Fixing what needs to be fixed.
      Third thing I relate to him is by serving him in the ministry through every service being a part of that service to assist and make sure it flows well so that he can deliver the message God imparts in him for his people.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Walter I have to agree with you that when we take the initiative to help the our pastor by doing chores around the church without him asking us, I’m pretty sure it blesses him tremendously. Serving in the ministry is also a blessing to him, It shows him that you have submitted to the ministry and that you are committed to help bring the vision God placed on his heart for the church to pass.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Walter, when we take it upon ourselves to do what needs to be done to maintain the physical aspects of the church, we are demonstrating our commitment to our Pastor’s vision.  Pastor Walker can then just focus on the spiritual aspects of the church and needs of the church body.

Rhonda
        Participant

Walter like you, I also pray for our Pastor and his family. I thank God for them daily and the sacrifices they made to move to St. Thomas and establish our church. I believe it is vital that we all continue to life them up in prayer daily and cover them in the blood of Jesus. Also, I too believe that God has blessed all of all with gifts and talents that we can use help spread the gospel and meet the needs of the church.

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

How do you currently relate to my pastor?
      I relate to pastor as a man of God. I listen, respect, and try to follow the Words he preaches. I understand that I was chosen to be in his flock and he is my Shepherd. His responsibility is to lead the congregation he was given by God, to God. This is a great responsibility and I respect him for it. I respect that he has embarked upon his calling from God. Ephesians 4:11-13 says, “And He gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some Pastors and teachers. For the perfecting of the saints. It is his calling to led me. Therefore, I pray for him, Minister Walker and their family and help them with the ministry.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Showing respect to the Pastor let him know that you appreciate him. It is so sad that pastors don’t receive respect like before.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

I currently relate to my Pastor by respecting him and the authority that God has given him over my life.  I believe my Pastor truly knows and hears from God and I trust his word, the call on his life and his vision.  He is a gift from God and I honor and appreciate my Pastor.

I also relate to my Pastor by submitting to his instructions and following his leadership.  He is a man of excellence with high standards.  I study his ways and learn from him.  While he is very approachable, I do not become too relaxed with my Pastor because I don’t want to ever think of him as just another man.  He is my Pastor.

I believe that God has placed me this ministry to allow me to grow and become all that He wants me to be.  That is why I feel comfortable and confident to go to my Pastor with anything.  I trust him to counsel me and my children in any area and I heed his advice.

Another way that I relate to my Pastor is by supporting the vision and the ministry that God has given to him. I give my time and resources.  I serve where I am called and wherever needed.  I also pray everyday for my Pastor and his family and the ministry.  I know that my Pastor loves me and I love him and his family.  I bless them and honor them.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Yes Stacy supporting, giving and respecting the office our pastor stands in, will also help us to build a relationship with our pastor as well as to get to know him personally for ourselves. Our Pastor has a lot to deal with, not just with the ministry but dealing with the flock that God has entrusted him with and all their different personalities is a great responsibility, that’s why it’s so important for him to stay prayed up.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Yes Stacy the submission is hard to do, but when I see him submit to God and his pastor. it makes it easier for me to submit and support his vision.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Stacey, I’m in agreement with how you regard our Pastor even though he’s approachable. Without respect for our Pastor it may be easy for some to lose respect and approach him as just a man; he is not just another man. He’s our Pastor, anointed by God to take care of his flock.

Rhonda
      Participant

I currently relate to my Pastor by understanding and being a part of the overall mission God has given Him for our church, “Teaching the Word, Doing the Work, Touching the World”. I understand my role as a sheep is to help fulfill the vision that God has given to my Pastor. The church isn’t just made up of the Pastor but every member has an important role to play. Ephesians 4:16, From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. Also, I relate to my Pastor by seeing Him as a chosen authority figure who is directly connected to God, given to us a gift. I will continue to pledge my support and respect for my Pastor, a man after God’s own heart.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Rhonda, I’m in agreement with you concerning being in agreement with the Mission of our Pastor and assisting to see it all come to fruition. How would we be able to relate fully to our Pastor if we’re not in agreement concerning his mission.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

Helping to fulfill our Pastor vision is one of the most important ways we can relate to our pastor.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

I relate to my Pastor with the highest regard. I don’t approach him with a buddy buddy attitude. I respect him always.  Including my Pastor in my daily prayers is my responsibility; if he’s not covered he’s unable to serve in his fullest capacity.

I’m in agreement with his mission for the Church. As such, I’m on board with the plans and missions of my Pastor. I keep him in my highest regard. I esteem him in love, I don’t engage in gossip or negative talk regarding my Pastor. I should always be encouraging to my Pastor.

I am always willing to help and be of assistance to my Pastor. When I’m asked of my Pastor to do or assist with something I should be eager and honored to assist. There should be no excuses, grumbling, murmuring or complaining. It should always be seen as an honor.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to Relate to Your Pastor – Discussion Forum – Week 1: May 14-May 20, 2017’ is closed to new replies.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center