Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 4 – Covenants Covenants – Discussion Forum – Week 3 – January 22-28, 2017

Covenants – Discussion Forum – Week 3 – January 22-28, 2017

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Covenants – Discussion Forum – Week 3:  January 22 – January 28, 2016

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, Covenant course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  For our third week’s forum view the video below by Reverend Kenneth Copeland entitled, “Your Covenant Promise,” dated February 24, 2015, by clicking the link:    http://kcm.org/watch/tv-broadcast/your-covenant-promise

No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  You must post your response by THURSDAY of each week to receive credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  Enjoy the video!!!!!

QUESTIONS:

1. What has this video taught you about Covenant?  Explain 
      2. Does God have a covenant relationship with everyone?  Explain

Rhonda
      Participant

After watching the video I’ve learned that as a believer I have a covenant with God that commands me to love everyone. We have opportunities every day to obey God’s command to love. We show our love for God when we love one another.

God loves all people. However, he doesn’t have covenant relationship with everyone. God has covenant responsibility over believers when we give ourselves to him. God doesn’t manifest himself to everyone, because of disobedience or failure to listen.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Rhonda, your wording in your first paragraph puts our daily challenges with people in a new perspective.  Instead of being a challenge, it is an opportunity to obey God’s Word.

Donna Riley
        Participant

To love everyone is quite a challenge in deed. It takes practice, paying attention to how Jesus treated others especially those not cared for by others and staying close to the Holy Spirit letting Him mold and shape you into a Christ like image. This is not easy, but we know that God will not lead us astray and the molding and shaping eventually changes us from a piece of coal into a diamond. In the end it was all worth it.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

We as believers are called to love, which is the greatest commandment of all. Even the seemingly unlovable. That is suffering for the Lord.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

This video taught me that despite God loving everyone, he’s  not in a Covenant with everyone.  This is no fault of God. If we don’t invite Him in or hear Him knocking, then we can’t accept Him and He’s unable to enter into a Covenant with us. Revelation 3:20 states: “Behold,  I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. We must make ourselves available unto God so that we can enter into His Covenant.  We must be obedient to his commands.

No, everyone doesn’t have a Covenant relationship with God. God loves everyone but he doesn’t have the responsibility of having a Covenant relationship with everyone. Even though God loves evryone He doesn’t manifest himself to everyone because they don’t do what He says. God is always speakinb, but not everyone hears; not everyone heeds what He says. Without a willing and relationship of obedience with God, He’s  unable to enter into a Covenant relationship with us.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Monica, I like the scripture that you used in your first paragraph, Revelation 3:20. It take

Monica, your Scripture reference Revelation 3:20 is on point.  We have to enter into the Covenant.  There is a choice that we have to make.  The problem is that so many people don’t know that there is a Covenant and the terms and benefits of the Covenant.  This is why spreading the Gospel is so important.

two people to make

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Even though God doesn’t have Covenant relationship with all, because of broken fellowship. Everyone who called on His Name can go to the throne of grace and received mercy. By repenting and getting back into fellowship with the almighty.

Rhonda
      Participant

Monica, the scripture Revelation 3:20 you referenced really stood out to me. God is always willing and trying to reach out to us, but we have a role to play. He is a sincere gentleman and doesn’t go against our free will. I’m so thankful to be in covenant with Him.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

What has the video taught you about Covenant?  Explain.

The main thing that the video taught me about Covenant is that me being in covenant with someone doesn’t mean that I hate the person that I’m not in covenant with.  It just means that my covenant obligation and, me, honoring my covenant obligation is greater than the issue.  Of course, I know that I walk in love and faith works by love but the examples that Reverend Copeland used in the video brought some things home for me.  In the beginning of the video he was talking about soldiers going to war.  He said, “Don’t go into combat with hate.”  You don’t hate the people that you are at war with but you have a covenant with your country.

This brings to mind the issues that come up when a Christian speaks out against homosexuality.  It is called “hate speech”.  We try to explain that we don’t hate you, we love you.  However, we are in Covenant with God and this is what He said and this is what we believe.

God has responsibilities to us as our Covenant partner.  Reverend Copeland used the example of his covenant relationship as a husband.  He is commanded to love everyone but he has a covenant relationship with Gloria and responsibilities to her.  If she is threatened, he has a responsibility to defend her.  In the same way, God has a Covenant responsibility to defend me, His Covenant partner.  There is comfort and peace in that knowledge.

Does God have a Covenant relationship with everyone?  Explain.

No, God does not have a Covenant relationship with everyone.  He loves everyone because He is a God of love and He is a good God.  However, John 14:21 tells us “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.”  He doesn’t manifest Himself to everyone.  Those who are in Covenant relationship, having and keeping His commandments are the ones who receive the manifestation.

Rhonda
        Participant

Stacy, your analogy about so called “hate speech” when standing up for the Word of God made me have a selah moment. As believers, especially in these last days, we need to reminded daily that we are in Covenant with God and we must obey and uphold His Word with love.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Stacy I share your same sentiments only when we come into covenant with God he has a covenant responsibility to take care of us. Yes he loves all people, but he will only manifest himself to those that love him, the ones who has his commandments and keep his sayings.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Stacy I enjoyed reading your feedback, I especially agree with you when you stated, “honoring my covenant obligation is a greater issue.” Loving others despite how ugly or mean they are to you requires practice, practice, and more practice. However, at the end of the day God is expecting us to honor his Covenant regardless of how we feel. Therefore, we need be quick to forgive and rise above the circumstances.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes Stacy you are right when you that it teach us how to be in covenant with God . And how to keep covenant relationship

Donna Riley
        Participant

What I hear you saying Stacy is that hate is really a petty issue for immature people. Love is greater, conquering all obstacles and is definitely a sign of maturity. This is the transformation that takes place in our covenant relationship with God. This is an awesome lesson worth learning.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

Rev. Copeland started out by saying “We are soldiers in the Amy of the Lord as soldiers we should never go into battle with hatred, it will get us killed.” He continued by admonishing us not to go into warfare without the soldier’s promises and the soldiers Psalm. We as believers are in covenant with the Almighty God, and His promises are His covenant to us. As we enter into warfare we have to be mindful of the condition of our heart; hatred will remove the hedge of protection, and tight the hands of God stopping Him from working on our behave. So, as covenant people we need to go into warfare knowing that we don’t have to fight in the battle but speak the promises of God, and make sure that our heart is right with God, leaving no place for the enemy.
      You might ask, does God have a covenant responsibility with everybody? The answer is “NO!” God loves everyone, but He is only in covenant with those who love Him and keep His commandments. In John 14:21 stated, “He that hath my commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him and will manifest myself to him.” This is a covenant God made with us that if we love Him, He will manifest Himself to us. The commandment He is speaking about is God spoken words to us, not the ten commandments. Those that are led by His word and obey and do them, they are the ones who are in Covenant with the Almighty God. Not the ones who alter the words to fit their lifestyle.
      God commanded us to love and keep on loving, even when it seem hard with the seemingly unlovable, this is the greatest commandment.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Lilly, I agree with you totally, hate will remove the hedge of protection from around us–that is what gives the devil an open or an in into our lives and we find ourselves in bondage.

Marita Smith
      Participant

What this video has taught me about covenant is that when we give ourselves to God, we have a covenant with God and in his blood and he has a covenant responsibility over us. Being in covenant with God commands us to love without conditions no matter what, and it also commands us to love our covenant partner with all their flaws and short comings.

Brother Copeland give the example of him being in covenant with his wife Gloria, he is committed to her, the two has become one and he has a responsibility as the head to care for her, provide and protect her at all cost. The same is with us when we come in covenant with God; he is our provider, protector, healer, strength and our help.

God does not have a relationship with everyone although he loves everyone; he is in relationship with those who has his commandments and has kept them. The ones that love him and he loves them and they are loved of his father, the ones that hears, listens, and does what he says. These are also the ones who he will manifest himself to; his goodness, his love, his glory, his peace, his joy, and his ever lasting strength according to John 14:21.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Marita yes this video have taught me the same thing about keeping covenant relationship with our Heavenly Father and teach how to give yourself to God the father.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Marita, I was really blown away when he spoke about what he would do to protect the covenant relationship between him and his wife!!! That comparison helped me to clearly see the extent of the covenant relationship between me and God…amazing!! I see why he warns us to touch not His annointed and do His prophet no harm!! I understand now more than I ever have before.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Marita Brother Copeland was not playing around when he said he has a responsibility as the head to take of his wife Gloria and protect her. He said his weapons are not carnal but he also uses carnal weapons if he have too!

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

The video taught me that my covenant with God is serious to Him. He’s not going to forsake me, because He remembers His words His promise to me. It’s not like when man says he’s going to do something and then forget or just plain out refuse to even bother, God always will stay true to His word because He loves me and never forgets or neglects to keep His promise. Kenneth Copeland made the covenant more clear to me, I understand.
      God loves us all, but He only has a covenant relationship with the ones who keep His commands, showing that they love Him (John14:21). Those are the ones He will manifest/make Himself known to.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Hi. Ezrikah,  I know what you mean when you say that being covenant with God is serious. He not only promise not to leave or forsake us but he said he will be with us to the end . His promises are true, everlasting and never changes. Not like man who makes a promise or committed and then doesn’t think about the consequences of breaking that commitment or promise

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

It seems that Reverend Kenneth Copeland was referring to our covenant involving relationship. In other words, entering into an intimate relationship with the other person or persons in the relationship. Reverend Copeland is in a covenant relationship with his wife Gloria and swore before God to love her, keep her, and protect her. The Covenant also covers a covenant of blessings because whenever God makes a covenant, His intent is for the good of those who covenant with Him. When you enter into a covenant with God, it is so that you may prosper in all that you do. Deuteronomy 29:9.

In addition, in order to prosper under the covenant you need to understand covenant and kingdom authority. God’s provision, promises, and His preferred will flow through His Covenant. If you do not know how to operate under the covenant you cannot exercise the authority that you legally possess. That is why Reverend Copeland stated, “We are soldiers in the Army of the Lord and our battle is spiritual warfare.” The “first rule of thumb” is we never go to battle with hate because it will get you kill. Furthermore, as a christian if we are not presently doing spiritual warfare, we are not qualified to do combat yet. Additionally, to do spiritual warfare we need two (2) things–the soldier’s promise and the soldier’s Psalm which functions supernaturally going armed before the Lord.

God loves everybody; however, He doe not have covenant responsibility with everybody. According to John 14;21, “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” It is evident that God loves everybody, but he will not manifest himself to everybody. Why? According to Reverend Copeland, “They don’t do what He says. They don’t even hear what He says and He is talking to every body all the time. However, those that listens hear Him.” He said, “Behold I stand at the door and knock, any man that hear my voice open the door and I will come in.” God is a gentleman, He is not going to enter unless you give him permission.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Pamela I like what you said about God being a gentleman and he would not force himself on anyone. He said he stands at the door of our hearts knocking and he is asking for permission to come into our lives.
        He is giving us the opportunity to choose life,he is the bread of life, he would only come in if we open the door to our hearts and let him in, do what he tells us to do and keep his commands so he can manifest himself in and through us. He loves us so much.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with Pamela Rev. Copeland really personalized and humanized the comparison of our relationships with the ones we love, our behaviors towards our love ones, and that of our with God and His behaviors toward us. This behavior is to defend, protect and care for them. That’s what God does for us.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

This video taught me about the covenant is when you have a covenant partner you have to make sure you are listening to your covenant partner all the time . And try not to get upset with her at all but at the same time you have to forgive your covenant partner it you have one. That taught me how to do the right thing when time to have a covenant partner.

No God don’t have a covenant relationship with everyone. Because everyone don’t listening to what he say. If you have a covenant relationship with God you do what he tell what to do . Just if God tell you to go north and then you want to go south . But when he say to teach the blind and to the last. But still if you don’t have Covenant with God he still love you but you are not have a relationship with him that don’t mean you have a covenant relationship with God.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Raphael,  I  like your reference to learning how to do the right thing for your covenant partner. From observing some marriages one might ask themselves; “how do they do it?” However, th3 Covenant that they made with their partner and God gives them the patience, commitment and unconditional love for their partner.

Donna Riley
      Participant

This video has taught me that a covenant is not a minor pact nor a trivial commitment. It comes with major responsibilities for the partner who has the full power over the weaker partner. Since we have given ourselves to God, God has covenant responsibility over us. In our covenant relationship we are commanded to love all, but to take special care of our covenant partner. Never go into battle with hate, but to love all. That is the winning key.

God loves everybody, but He does not have covenant responsibility with everybody. According to John 14:21, Jesus says “Those who really love me are the ones who not only know my commands but also obey them. My Father will love such people, and I will love them. I will make myself known to them.” (ERV). Only to those who love and obey Jesus does God have a covenant relationship with or an obligation to.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Hi. Sister Donna, I couldn’t agree with you more that having a convenant relationships is true major commitment,  not to taken lightly or trial attitude.  It emphasizes and points out, a day commands us to love one another. It doesn’t matter what we feel or think about each other.  As his children and believers that is our command.  As covenant partners we have a responsibility  to meet our partners needs, abd to be an equal partner, not showing power or authority over one another.  True God loves everybody and his son died that all maybe saved. As John 14:21 if we keep his commandments, it is he that liveth him, and shall be loved of his father, and Jesus himself will love us, and manifest himself to us

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Donna, I  like your John 14:21 reference;  not only must we love Him, but we must OBEY him. Not only obey His commandments but obey what he tells us. We must do as our Father says even when to us it make sense. He’s an all-knowing God and only want the best for us.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

This video taught me that we have a covenant relationship with God and we also have a covenant relationship with family and people.  I learned that as a believer in a covenant relationship with God  is he loves us that he is committed, just and true to fulfill the promises of the covenant to believers who are obedient and committed to him. That having a convenant with God means he is our soilder. We don’t have to fight, he will fight for us. I also learned that we’re in a covenant relationship with family and other people.  That I am a soldier in God’s army and just like he is there committed to do battle for us in love,  and never in hate. Kenneth Copeland stated, that we’re in warfare,  and never go into warfare with hate. I learned that the two convenant relationships are different. The significance is that our covenant relationship with God is that we are partakers of his grace, love and his commitment and promise as his children. As as we have freely received his grace, love, commitment, and promise we must do the same in our covenant relationship with our families and other people. We must walk  in love an his supernatural ability and his presence that is within. In our covenant relationship with others we are commanded to love one another, with agape love (unconditionally) , as we walk in God’s grace, and love, so shall we walk in grace and love  one to another.

Yes, God has a covenant relationship with everyone.  It was made by the new birth and the blood of Jesus.  But only to those who are believers, committed and obedient to his word and to what he says to do is he under obligation to fulfill the promises of the covenant.

l

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with you Celise, thank God for Great Grace to help us deal with some of our family members as well as other people.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

We are never to go into warfare with hatred, Rev. Copeland admonished us to go into warfare with the Promises and the Psalms.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with Celise That having a Covenant with God means He is our solider. We don’t have to fight, He will fight for us. But there are stipulations also known as our side of the agreement we must be obedient, love and not allow hatred into our hearts. I also agree, I too extracted that our Covenant relationships with spouses and family should mimic that of ours with God.

Amen, Yes God  word says “he will never leave us or forsake us.” He is ever with us and he will fight for us until the end.  Everything that God does for us is for life, that’s Covenant. He is our deliver, our strength, our high tower. His love is never ending and when we look back and see the love and patience that God has demonstrated toward us, it helps us to extend the same to those who “seem” to be unloveable.

Be blessed and be encouraged!

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

This video taught me and pretty much confirmed our class room lessons concerning the reciprocal agreements of Covenants. Just as the English definition of covenant explains, a covenant signifies a mutual understanding between two or more parties, each binding himself to fulfill specified obligations. God will manifest himself to man / man must hear and let Him into their heart. This the agreement. This lesson also validates our class lesson that the Covenant was with Jesus. We are join heirs who became blessed though The Everlasting Covenant. This Covenant was made in eternity in the counsel of the eternal Godhead between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This was made after Jesus give his life for us on the cross. He died for our sins so we may have a relationship with God is why God has covenant responsibilities.

No God does not have a covenant relationship with everyone. God has covenant responsibilities to them who believes and keeps the commandment to love their brother. John 14:21 Jesus says “he who has my commandment and keeps them loves me.” God doesn’t manifest himself to everyone. God says “Any man that hears my voice and will open the door I will come in.”

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

This video taught me and pretty much confirmed our class room lessons concerning the reciprocal agreements of Covenants. Just as the English definition of covenant explains, a covenant signifies a mutual understanding between two or more parties, each binding himself to fulfill specified obligations. God will manifest himself to man / man must hear and let Him into their heart. This the agreement. This lesson also validates our class lesson that the Covenant was with Jesus. We are join heirs who became blessed though The Everlasting Covenant. This Covenant was made in eternity in the counsel of the eternal Godhead between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This was made after Jesus give his life for us on the cross. He died for our sins so we may have a relationship with God is why God has covenant responsibilities.

No God does not have a covenant relationship with everyone. God has covenant responsibilities to them who believes and keeps the commandment to love their brother. John 14:21 Jesus says “he who has my commandment and keeps them loves me.” God doesn’t manifest himself to everyone. God says “Any man that hears my voice and will open the door I will come in.”

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center