Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 4 – Covenants Covenants – Discussion Forum – Week 1: January 8-14, 2017

Covenants – Discussion Forum – Week 1: January 8-14, 2017

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Covenants – Week 1 – Discussion Forum

January 8-14, 2017

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, Covenant course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  For our first week’s forum view the video below by Bishop Keith A. Butler entitled, “Covenants” .  

No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  You must post your response by THURSDAY of each week to receive credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  Enjoy the video!!!!!

QUESTIONS:

1. The video opens with Bishop reading from Psalm 138:1-2, A Psalm of David. I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.”   What does the phrase “…..for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name,” tell us about the importance of God places on his word?
      2. What is the significance of the Names of God in the Bible?  Explain.
      3. What did this video teach you about  the importance of covenant?  Explain

Watch Bishop Butler’s Video on Facebook CLICK HERE

Rhonda
      Participant

As Bishop Butler explains in the video, Shem is the Hebrew word for name. Parts of the word shem means authority and character. It means that God has magnified His Word above everything else. God will defend it at all cost, even it means destroying himself before he not fulfill His Word. When God speaks, His character is intertwined in His words.

Bishop Butler mentioned (2) Old Testament Names of God. Jehovah Nissi means, “The Lord My Banner”. The flag (banner) goes out before an army in battle.  The banner gives hope and understanding that this is the right way to go. God will go before us, making our paths straight, and fighting our battles. Jehovah-Raah means, “The Lord My Shepherd”. God is our Shepard and he leads, guides and provides for all our needs.

The video has taught me that a covenant is a contract and formal agreement. God entered into an everlasting covenant with Abraham forever. God takes His covenant with man serious. This is reassuring because we know that God keeps His Word, thus we should remain holy and obedient to Him.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Rhonda yes you hit that on the head when you say that parts of the word Shem means authority and character.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with Rhonda Gods covenant with mankind is serious business and reassuring. It comforts me to know all I can obtain in the covenant and that God will show up every time as long a I remain holy and obedient to Him.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Rhonda, I agree that this is very serious business to God.  I also like your statement that this is reassuring because because if God will destroy Himself before not fulfilling His Word then we surely know that we can trust Him.

Rhonda, I did like the part that was mentioned about remaining holy and obedient to him. As believers, we always have to place in perspective that a covenant goes both ways. It lets us know we can’t and shouldn’t only go to God when we need something. The covenant reminds us that we have a part to play as well.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Yes Rhonda, good read I agree with you totally.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

What does the phrase “for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name,” tell us about the importance God places on his word? God is saying that His word, the word that proceeds out of His mouth is guarantee to come to pass. His word is a formal agreement, and a binding contract that can’t be broken.  His iniquity is wrap-up in His word.  His word is a covenant made with humanity.  He placed His word above His Names, the Hebrew word for Names are “Shem,” which mean authority and character. Even though His names carry power, His Word signifies who He Is.

There are many Names of God. However, they are all distinguished. Bishop spoke of Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Nissi. Jehovah Rohi is found in the 23 Psalm, which means “The Lord my Shepherd.” The primary meaning of the word Rohi is “to feed.” He will continue to send pastors to feed His flock.  Jehovah Nissi is found in Exodus 17:15, there He revealed Himself as “my Banner,” this was when the Israelites were acquainted with Him as “A Mighty God,” they saw how He sent the plagues upon Egypt and delivered them in a miraculous way.

I have learned that covenant is unbreakable.  It is a binding contract between two or more people.  God enter into covenant with us because we need Him and He needs us.  In Gen. 17 we read that God made an everlasting covenant with Abram and changed his name to Abraham who is the father of many nations.  Because I am Abraham seed, I’m a partaker of that everlasting covenant.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes Lilly when you say thy word is above all names that right . And when he tell us about the importance tha God places on his words

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Lilly, your statement that covenant is unbreakable is so important.  When we have a revelation of that so many things change in our lives.  Right now, the United States and other nations need a revelation of the unbreakable covenant that God has with Israel.  Israel / Jerusalem will not be divided.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

The that bishop explain it show that God magnified thy word and his name above all names it mean that god words is above everything in this world and the world to come .

Bishop talk about the name Jevhovah Nissi which is found in exodus 17:15 which give the people hope when they were walking around the wall of jerhicro and it was they banner for them so they could get the wall down

In this video I fine out that the covenant that you make with is a everlasting covenant with God forever and you shouldn’t broke it. But just like Abraham when he make a covenant with God and it was with Abraham for his life and it make for a everlasting covenant with God .If it was so good for Abraham how much more is that everlasting covenant is for we today.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Yes brother Ottley if the covenant was good enough for Abraham it is good enough for us because God is no respecter of person.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Rapheal, I’m so glad we enter into a much better covenant, which was established under better promises. I can’t imagine drinking someone else’s blood just to be in oneness. The cutting of flesh in order to mingle each other blood, this is serious action. Today people don’t respect covenant the same.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

Yes Lilly you are right when you say that thy word is above all names and he tell us about the importance that God places on his words

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

1. What does the phrase “for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name” tell us about the importance God places on His Word?

It shows us how how much value God places upon His Word. It is above everything; so much so that God would destroy Himself before not fulfilling His Word.

2. What is the significance of the Names of God in the Bible.

The Names of the God in the Bible are significant because they express the details that were in the Covenant.  For example Jehovah-Nissi, The Lord our Bannner is reflective of the the Lord going before us, His people, into battle.  As well as Jehovah-Raah, The Lord my Shepherd, who as a Good Shepherd, provides, protects and cares for His sheep.

3. What did this video teach you about the importance of Covenant?  Explain

This video gave showed me the magnitude of being in Covenant with God because of how much His Word means to Him and as a result, how much it means to me. Our Covenant with God binds us together for ever.  There is a saying, “My word is my bond” and simply put, that’s all that is required to bind us together. That is how important it is.  We don’t need paper, just His Word and we, too must stand by our word to God.

Rhonda
        Participant

Stacy, Bishops Butler’s video explaining Covenants reiterated to me the importance of our words spoken. Like you said, “My word is my bond”.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

I agree with you Ms. Stacey, we should be equally as trustworthy when we make our promises to God. Its easy to get upset with God when we feel like he holding up his end of the bargin, but we rarely look at the areas where we can improve on the promises we make to him. We should mimic our Father. ” Let our yes be yes and our jo be no.

Marita Smith
      Participant

The phrase for thou has magnified thy word above all name, tells us the importance God places on his word, is that his word is higher and greater than anything or any name. God’s integrity and his character is in his word and he will defend his word at all cost, in scripture it says he is willing to destroy himself if he is not able to fulfill his word.

God’s word has efficacy the ability to produce, the ability to accomplish what it was sent forth to do according to Isaiah 55:11and it cannot return to him void, it’s only his word he will watch over to perform, that’s why so much importance is put on his word.

There are many names of God mentioned in the bible, the two names Bishop mentioned in the video were: Jehovah Nissi; the significance of that name is God our victory and our banner, he was their banner in the time of war letting them know that they were going the right way and the end result would be victory.

The other name he mentioned was Jehovah Rohi, the significance of that name is the Lord my Shepherd, he leads guides, protects, and provides for us.

After viewing the video it taught me that the importance of covenant is vital and sacred between two or more people. It also taught me that when I come into a covenant or an agreement with someone its very important for me to keep my end of the covenant or agreement because I give my word, and I’ve learned that all a man has is his word and when you give your word, you are to uphold it.

When you don’t keep your word your character and integrity are tarnished, and people would not be able to trust anything you say. God is a covenant keeping God, until this day he has kept the covenant that he swore unto our forefathers (Deut.8:18) because we are in Christ and Abraham’s seed we are heirs to that covenant, its our birthright inheritance.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

Yes sister Stacy, Bishop’s teaching showed me too the magnitude of being in Covenant with God because of how much His Word means to Him. He stated that God would destroy Himself before he not fulfill his word.
        This means a lot to me. Our Covenant with God binds us together for ever.

Marita, it is true about having our character and integrity tarnished when we don’t keep our word to people. It doesn’t allow people to trust us if we are are recognized as individuals who can’t keep our word. It’s the same with God, He expects us to do whatever we have told him we would.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Marita just the way God puts emphasis on the importance of His word tells me I need to constantly remind myself to only speak the things I want to be in my life. I to should put emphasis on the importance of my words and only speak what I want into the atmosphere.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Marita, I agree that keeping our word is vitally important to our character. The only difference is that I’m not sure how many of us would destroy ourselves before having our words unfulfilled. Thank God for forgiveness!

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Direct to the point, His integrity, and His character is hooked up in His word. God said He would look over His word to perform it; that mean if He says it He will bring it to the past.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

For thou has magnified thy word above thy name. God is saying  his word is his spoken Covenant to mankind,  and he has placed his word above everything else importance , even his name. God know his words spoken will bring manifestation, because his character and everything else is wrapped up in his words. God’s words  are important because it is a lifetime covenant with him to us. He made this covenant because he needed us an we difinitely need him, as Bishop said. God places importance on his words because it is his character and all else is connected to his words, which he will defend at all costs. He also said he will destroy himself before he not fulfill his words, again another example of the importance of his word.

The significance of the names of the Bible:

Jehovah Nissi “The Lord My Banner” it is a banner or flag that was used a a symbol during war to give hope and understanding to God’s  people. It is what inspired  them and let them know they were  going in the right direction . He was their hope in battle and their understanding that he was with  them during battle. That is exactly what he us for us today. Jehovah Nissi ” The Lord My Banner” who give hope in the worst circumstances, or during our battles. He brings understanding to situations we cannot control, or change immediately.

Jehovah Raah ” The Lord My Shepherd ” . Bishop referred to Ps 23,  where we see all the the benefits we receive when the Lord is our shepherd.  This give my heart so much peace in time of trouble, worry, knowing that I have a shepherd who care for me so much to let me know that I have all of this because he is my shepherd.

This video taught me that covenants is a lifetime,  everlasting,  formal agreement, a contract, a binding agreement.  Is is something that should never enter into lightly.  Is also taught me that no matter if it is by blood, a written contract,  a verbal agreement or a handshake a covenant is something that should never be broken by any of the parties involved.  It has clarified for me that if I enter into convenant, it is my character, bond, vow and my word to an agreement to someone or something.  It is my duty and responsibility to honor and keep  my convenant.

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

“…. for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name,” The Hebrew name for the word Name is Shem= Authority, Character. God said “I have magnify what I say above everything else”. His character and everything is wrap up in the Word that comes out of His mouth and He will defend His Word at all cost. God then entered into a covenant with mankind; a formal agreement, it binds us forever. specifically beginning with Abra God into a covenant with man because God needed man. We have a covenant together forever. Everlasting.

What this video tough me about the importance of covenant is that God will keep His word as long and mankind keeps their side. Mankind must remain holy and obedient unto God and as long as mankind keeps his part they will get the manifestation of the things that are in this covenant. Example; God spoke to Abra about Land, because Abra was obedient he gained and enormous amount of land the land of Israel. And as he obeyed God he obtained several other blessings also.

Rhonda
        Participant

Denise when I first read about the covenant God established with Abraham, I always wondered why this such a great and powerful God entered into covenant with man. You reminded me of the reason in your post that God entered into a covenant with man because He needed man. I know this is still true for us today.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

Yes Mrs. Denise I completely agree with you…there are two sides to a covenet and we must make sure we hold up our end of the bargin to ensure continued blessings. God’s word is so sure though that even when we fall short he keeps his word. King Solomon was a good example of this.  Although he broke covenent by following other Gods through his may wives, God kept the covenent he made with his father David. Even today we as Christians have access to God’s best through a covent made with Abraham hundreds of years ago… Thank You Lord for you word. Before I would say that in referance to the word giving me direction, but now I say say it because I know it gives me life…Glory Be to God.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant
      1. What does the phrase “for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name”, tell us about the importance that God places on his word?

God’s word is more important than everything else. His character is wrapped up in His word. God would defend his word at all costs. Before God allows his word to go unfulfilled he’d destroy himself first. Because of this importance, God entered into a Covenant with mankind.

A Covenant is a contract, a formal agreement;  it binds you. God entered into a Covenant with mankind because God needs us and we need God. The Covenant between God and man is forever!

2. What is the significance of the names of God in the Bible?

The significance of the names of God in the Bible is that each name of God in the Bible describes a different aspect of his many faceted character. Bishop Butler mentioned two; Jehovah-Nissi: “The Lord Our Banner”. Armies usually carry a banner when they are entering enemy territory.  The banner signifies “Hope”.

Jehovah-Rohi: “The Lord Our Shepherd”; I shall not want. It signifies the relationship we have with Jesus.

There are many more, to name a few; Jehovah-Rapha: “The Lord Who Heals”, Jehovah-Jireh: “The Lord Will Provide”, El Shaddai: “God Almighty”.

These names for God demonstrates some of the characteristics of God and his relationship with mankind.

3. What did the video teach you about the importance of Covenant?

The video taught me that under no circumstance will God break his Covenant between Him and mankind. God would destroy himself first before he allows his word to go unfulfilled. This binding contract also requires that man does their part, which is to remain holy and obedient.

My faith in God is strong and secure because of the fact that our God is a Covenant keeping God. If He said He will do it, it’s already done!! Selah

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Monica, I too realize the importance God place on his word, so much that he said he wI’ll defend it ,and destroy himself before he leaves his words go unfulfilled.  His word is his convenant.  So we too must diligently keep our word, when we make a convenant or an agreement to another

Marita Smith
        Participant

Yes Monica the many names of God signifies his characteristics and his relationship of who he is and all that he is to us. our Abba father, our healer, our provider, our shepherd, our deliverer and on and on. There is a lot of emphasis on the word of God because God is not a man that he shall lie or the son of God that he would have to repent, he does exactly what he says he will do, he will never compromise his own words.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Monica, I concur as well with your statement if God said He is going to do something He will do it! Amen

As a believer, those words “for thou as magnified thy word above all thy name” means a lot to me. The importance of those words signify just how serious God is about his word if he puts it above his very own name. This is touching because His name is greater than any other name. It gives us assurance as believers to trust that his word MUST come to pass in our lives or else he would destroy his very self. We all know, God is not in the business of suicide, therefore we rest assured of his promises. As long as we can bring him in remembrance of His Word, it’s a done deal.

The significance of the names of God in the bible was a reminder to the children of Israel who God was and is. Jehovah Nissi -The Lord Is My Banner gave them confidence in the mist of their war. It was an indication that they will be victorious in battle. Today, we can use the names of God to carry us through any circumstance we may face. A name is something very personal, to have the ability to use the names of God is like a personal connection between you and Him. It’s like Jehova Jireh, it gives me assurance that I will never lack for anything because God is my provider.

In watching the video, I understand that a covenant is beneficial to everyone involved. Bishop explained that God needs us, and we need him. It is not a one sided contract. When parties involved understand this, it places a conviction in your heart for you to do right and not break the covenant. It puts you in perspective that one day we will need God to something for us, therefore We will do what is right to abide by this covenant. It also gives God a peace that he too can use us because of our faithfulness.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Shanelle, you hit it right on the button. It is touching how God pours out His heart to us. We can learn a lot about how to have a healthy relationship with our spouses, friends and relatives just by the way God speaks to us.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Enjoy reading your thread Shanelle. So many times as a christian we can quote scriptures to remind Him of His promises to us; however, when the rubber meets the road we find ourselves going around in circles trying to do it ourselves making the contract one-sided. Therefore God needs us to do our part–trust and obey there is no other way.

Donna Riley
      Participant

Parts of the word name (shem in Hebrew) means authority or character. In the Word are names of God and they are used to make Himself known to us. God is saying that if His word does not mean what it says then His names are also meaningless. God’s word is the foundation on which everything was created and how everything is sustained. God’s character is wrapped up in His Word and God will defend His word even to His very destruction. This is how much God believes His word to be true, relevant and powerful.

God’s names reveals who He truly is.  The names of God are important because each name describes a character of God.  Each character describes a solution to a problem man will encounter. The names of God will help man to get to know God on a more personal level which will increase man’s trust and faith in Him. We are here to give glory and honor to God and knowing intimately who God is, through His names, will help us do just that.

According to Bishop Butler, a covenant is a contract or a formal agreement; one that binds you. Covenants are based on the needs of the parties involved. The covenant between God and Abraham is an everlasting covenant. Once both parties remain holy and obedient then the covenant will remain intact.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Donna,  learning about just a few of the different names of God, that he uses to make himself known to us, is awesome,  but we should desire to learn about the other names as well. (Shem), which is the Hebrew name for word, gives us an example of the character and authority of God. I too agree that his word are what created, or spoke everything  into  existence,  and his word will sustain it for all eternity.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Donna, Holy Spirit revealed this to me one day!! “Ezrikah, I AM THAT I AM!! Everything you need, I AM that!!” That’s when I finally got it, after all these years reading those words. I never understood why He didn’t just say His name was Jehovah, why did He have to come off like he was speaking in parables?! That day He showed me if it was peace I needed, He is that for me, if its provision I need..He’s that for me, if its healing I need..He is that for me too, and the mention of what I needed went on and on…it was like something blocking my understanding had been removed. Although this happened, I didn’t make a demand on what He is, even though I needed all, and then some. Like someone showed me, I don’t understand the covenant that I have…and I can see that was so. I’m going to make it necessary to learn His names, so I can know which to call when I need to pull on my covenant blessings, and it would help me to make it much more personal.
        Bill Winston says in one of his messages “Bread comes with this!!” What happened was, this lady went to a barbecue joint to get her order, but when she checked the bag the bread was missing. She checked the board to make sure this was supposed to be included, which it was, then asked the worker “do bread come with this?” He said yes, and gave her what was rightfully hers. That’s exactly the step I’ve been missing all these years, I haven’t checked the board (God’s Word) to know for sure what comes with my covenant order. He says to forget not ALL HIS BENEFITS.

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

The phrase “…thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name…” means that God does not pride himself on what others call him. He bases his character on his ability to follow through on his word. Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? Or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good. It’s basically saying the lord never goes back on his word.

The significance of God’s Names in th bible correlates with what role God plays in different aspects of our lives. For example, one of the most common names we at word of faith use for God is “Daddy”. In Romans 8:15 the Aramaic term for daddy “Abba”, is used to illustrate the relationship formed between God and man when we accept him into our heart, and receive his holy spirit. We become his children, and he becomes our “Abba”. In this example He being seen as war and loving. Another common name used in God’s word is Jehovah Jireh.  This means ” The Lord will see or provide.” This name was used by Abraham in Genesis 22:14 when the Lord provided a ram in the bush so he didn’t have to sacrifice his only son Issac. So it’s important to note the names used to describe our God, they can be used to improve our prayer life.

What I learned from Bishops message about convents with God is that they are everlasting. God would destroy himself rather than go back on his word. This taught me that no matter what the circumstances God’s word is his bond (covenant), therefore it can always be trusted.

Marita Smith
        Participant

You are so right Jet, that God’s covenants are everlasting, and he would never go back on his word, he needs us and we need him. He expects us to operate the same way as he does, faithful and trustworthy that if we give our word we should keep it.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Jettanyia, that’s perfect, God’s Word is definitely His bond. He’s not going to go back on it, like we do sometimes. Once He’s said it, it’s as good as done 😉 He’s an unchanging God!!

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

1. God has magnified what He says in His word (covenant) above everything else, over His authority, over His character. He will quicker destroy Himself before one word of His falters.

2. The names of God tells us who He is. His names are His promises to us, His covenant with man is in His name.
      JEHOVAH-JIREH: THE LORD WHO PROVIDES
      Gen 22:13 God provided the sacrifice for Abraham to lay on the altar in the place of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-Jireh (v 14). Phil. 4:19 “…God shall supply ALL of your need..”
      JEHOVAH-RAPHA: THE LORD WHO HEALS
      Ex.15:22-26 “..I am the Lord that healeth thee.” Healing is a benefit of our covenant with God. Ps.103:2-3 …who healeth all thy diseases.”
      JEHOVAH-NISSI: THE LORD OUR BANNER
      Ex.17:15…And Moses built an altar and named it “The Lord Is My Banner.”And he said because theirs is a hand against the throne of the Lord, the Lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation. God will always wage war on our behalf. Deut.3:22 Ye shall not fear them: for the Lord your God, He shall fight for you. Deut.1:30 The Lord your God which goeth before you, He shall fight for you.
      JEHOVAH-ROHI: THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD
      Ps.23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want..” He looks after us, takes care of us, pays close attention to each one of us. And if we stray, He goes after us to bring us back under His care, He never stops caring for His sheep. John 10:11 I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd gives his life for the sheep. This shows us how He takes good care of us.
      JEHOVAH-SHALOM: THE LORD IS PEACE
      Judges 6:23-24 And the Lord said unto him, Peace be unto thee: fear not…Then Gideon built an altar there unto the Lord, and called it Jehovah-Shalom.. Is.41:10 Fear thou not, for I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
      JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU: THE LORD OF OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS
      Jer.23:5-6 Behold the days cometh saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth…and his name whereby he shall be called,THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Jesus who knew no sin was made sin for our sake so ” that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” (2 Cor.5:21). Because as it says in Is.64:6 “…all our righteousness are as filthy rags..”
      JEHOVAH-M’KADDESH: THE LORD WHO SANCTIFIES, MAKES ME HOLY
      Lev.20:8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the Lord which sanctify you. Only God can cleanse us and make us holy.
      JEHOVAH-ELOHIM: LORD GOD. JEHOVAH-SABAOTH: THE LORD OF HOSTS
      EL-ELYON: MOST HIGH
      Gen.2:4…the Lord God made the earth and the heavens. Ps.59:5…O Lord God of hosts. He is ruler and creator over all!! Lord of angels and men!
      JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH: THE LORD IS THERE
      Ez.48:35…the Lord is there. Heb.13:5…For He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Gen.28:15..I am with thee, and I will keep thee in all places whither thou goest..”
      EL-ROI: GOD OF SEEING
      Gen.16:13. And she (Hagar) called the name of the Lord that spake unto her, Thou God seest me.. God sees us always, in every place.
      EL-OLAM: EVERLASTING GOD
      Rev.22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. There’s no time in God, He is above time!!
      EL-GIBHOR: MIGHTY GOD
      Is.9:6 …and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God…
      YHWH/YAHWEH/JEHOVAH: LORD
      Ex.3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM.. All that we may ever need, He is that for us already, and we have full access!!

3. This video just solidifies what I’ve been learning through this class, my personal reading, and from Pastor’s teachings. Covenant is important to God. He will never miss it on His end, and He expects us to do our part in keeping covenant with Him.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Ezrikah, I’m so glad to have learned about God’s other names that describes his character and his relationship with us. Thanks be to God for his covenant and all that he is to us.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

What does the phrase . . . “for thou has magnified thy word above all thy name,” tell us about the importance of God places on his word? According to the New Living Translation the phrase means God’s promises are backed by all the honor of His name–“God has exalted above all else His name and His Word above all His name!” The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, and His name is Jesus! Hallowed be Thy name! God’s name is sovereign that means He is a supreme ruler of ultimate power.

What is the significance of the Names of God in the Bible? Explain. The significance of God’s names in the Bible are Jehovah-Nissi means You are my Victory, my Banner, and my Standard. Also it means my banner over me is love.  Jehovah-Rohi means You are my Shepard and I shall not want for any good or beneficial thing.

What did this video teach you about the importance of covenant? Explain. According to Bishop Butler, “God entered into a covenant with Abram who was later renamed Abraham and the first thing God spoke to Abraham about was land (Gen. 12:1-7). He stated that because of this covenant Jerusalem and Israel is never to be divided because it is an everlasting covenant. In addition, above everything else God’s promises are wrapped up in His Word and He wold destroy Himself before He breaks His own covenant. God entered into a covenant with man-kind (formal agreement)– God needed man; as well as, man needs God. The length of the agreement is forever and the terms is God keeps His part and we must be holy and obedient in keeping our part.

Great great job everyone!! We are just embarking on the awesomeness of God through his word and his promises. I pray that as we go through this lesson, that our eyes of our understanding will continue to be enlightened more and more.  Be blessed!!

Walter Brown
      Participant

The phrase <i>for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name means God really serious about His word. It is higher than His name and He would not go against His word.  Psalms 89:33-34 God state he would never stop loving us nor fail to keep his promise to us. He then goes on to say He would not break his covenant He has sworn and He could not take back His word. Thats how serious He is with His Word.  </i>

2. The significance of the Names of God in the Bible is that God names has a special purpose to each one like Jehovah Nissi the God of victory each name is personal has a real significance behind the purpose. The God that provides jireh God making a imminent provision for us.

3. The video showed me How serious is God about His word which His coveneant. God would rather destroy himself rather than breaking his word an oath he made to us. It also show how much he really loves us that he would go through such extreme measures just for us.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center