Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 3 – Doing the Works of Christ Doing the Works of Christ – Discussion Forum – Week 1: (November 20 – November 26, 2016)

Doing the Works of Christ – Discussion Forum – Week 1: (November 20 – November 26, 2016)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Doing the Works of Christ – Discussion Forum

Week 1 – November 20 – 26, 2016

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, “Doing the Works of Christ” course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  For our first week’s forum read the excerpt from the online devotional entitled, “They shall lay hands on the sick,” by Reverend Rick Renner from “Sparkling Gems from the Greek” and respond to the question.
      No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.
      RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  You must post your response by THURSDAY of each week to receive credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  
       The tone of every post should be professional and NOT personally attacking in any way. The goal is not for everyone to agree but for everyone to handle disagreement in a Christ-like manner.  Any questions you have regarding the topic should to address to the instructor.

Image result for they shall lay hands on the sick

They Shall Lay Hands on the Sick

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
      Mark 16:17,18
      In Mark 16:18, Jesus said that believers would lay hands on the sick, and the sick would recover. What category of sick people was Jesus talking about? What did He mean when He said they would recover? Are there examples of this in Jesus’ own ministry that we can read and learn from? Let’s look deeply into this verse today to see how it applies to you and me!
      First, let’s look at the word “sick,” because this describes the category of sick people Jesus was talking about. This is the Greek word arroustos, which comes from the word arunnumi. The word runnumi normally means to be well, to be strong, to be in good health, or to possess a strong physical condition. When an a is placed in front of this word, it reverses the condition and instead means to be in bad health or to possess a weak and broken condition. It is the image of a person so weak and sick that he has become critically ill. He is an invalid.
      The following three scriptures show us examples of times when Jesus healed people who were afflicted with an arroustos type of sickness:
      • Mathew 14:14 says, “And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.” The word “sick” in this verse is the Greek word arroustos. Matthew informs us that Jesus was especially drawn to those who were so weak that they were without strength. These people whom He healed that day were invalids.
      • Mark 6:5 tells us, “And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.” In Greek, the words “sick folk” also come from the Greek wordarroustos. This lets us know that these were extremely sick people. Most readers presume that these were minor ailments, but the word arroustos tells us emphatically that these werecritically illindividuals.
      • Mark 6:13 says, “And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.” The word “sick” is the Greek word arroustos, which means these individuals were very frail and weak in health.
      These examples of the word arroustos vividly show that these were not people who were simply feeling poorly because of some small ailment; these were people who were devastated by sickness. They were so physically weak, so critically ill, and so lacking of strength that they had become invalids. This is the category of sick people that Jesus said believers would lay hands on, and they would recover. He wasn’t talking about headaches and skin abrasions! He was talking about believers laying hands on people who are critically ill and who fall into the category of invalids.
      Notice that Jesus said believers would “lay hands” on the sick. These words come from the Greek word epitithimi, a compound of the words epi and tithimi. The word epi means upon, and tithmimeans to place. When they are joined to become the word epitithimi, it means to place upon or to lay upon. This word is used in Luke 4:40 to describe one event during which Jesus placed His hands upon sick people.
      Luke 4:40 says, “Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.” That evening the people brought to Jesus “any sick.” This word “sick” is different than the other examples we looked at earlier. It is the word asthenios, which depicts a wide range of infirmities. This is why it is further amplified by the phrase “any sick with diverse diseases.”  This represents a wide range of sicknesses, but the word “diseases” lets us know that some of these people were seriously ill. This word  “diseases” is the Greek word nosos, which always conveys the idea of a terrible malady oran affliction of the most severe nature. Often the word nosos depicted a terminal illness for which there was no natural cure. Hence, it could describe people who were terminally ill.
      What did Jesus do for these people? He laid His hands upon them, and He healed them. In such cases, Jesus was giving the perfect example of how believers would later lay their hands on the sick — including the terminally ill — and see them be restored back to health as a result of their obedience.
      But when you look carefully at Mark 16:18, you’ll notice that Jesus promised recovery. That recovery could be instantaneous, or it could be a process that is prolonged over a period of time. The words “they shall” are from the Greek word echo, which means to have or to possess. But the tense that is used in this verse doesn’t picture something that is instantaneous, but rather something that occurs progressively. In fact, the word “healed” doesn’t speak of an instantaneous event either. It is the word kalos, which in this case means to be well, to be healthy, or to be in good shape. Taken together as one complete phrase, it could be translated, “…they shall progressively feel themselves getting better and better, until finally they are well and healthy.
      This lets us know that all healings do not occur instantly; some of them take place over a period of time. But Jesus’ promise is that if we will follow His example and lay our hands on the sick, God’s power will be released into the body of the afflicted. If we are releasing our faith and believing for healing power to flow from us to the recipient, healing virtue will be deposited into the sick person’s body. Just as medicine slowly works to reverse a medical condition, the power of God that was deposited with the laying on of our hands will begin to attack the work of the devil and progressively bring that sick person back into a state of health and well-being.
      Jesus promised that any believer could do this! Any believer, including you, can lay hands on the sick and see the sick get better and better until they are finally restored back to health. All that is required for God to use you in this way are three basic criteria: 1) That you have a desire for God to heal through you; 2) That you have hands to lay on sick people; and 3) That your faith is released to activate the power of God to heal. If you can fulfill these three requirements, you’re ready to get into the healing ministry!
      Healing the sick is part of your responsibility as a believer. You cannot do it alone, but the Holy Spirit is present to impart His power when you act in Jesus’ name. So rather than look at sick people and feel pity for them, why don’t you pull your hands out of your pockets and go lay them on those sick people, just as Jesus did when He was ministering on the earth? The Word of God guarantees that God will work with you to bring healing and health to those who are in need. Why don’t you get started healing the sick today?

sparking gems from the greek

My Confession for Today

I confess that God’s power is released into the bodies of the afflicted when I lay my hands on them. Just as medicine slowly works to reverse a medical condition, the power of God that is deposited when I lay my hands on sick people begins to attack their affliction, causing them to be progressively restored to health and well-being. Healing the sick is part of my responsibility, so I boldly confess that I am going to lay my hands on sick people just as Jesus did when He was ministering on the earth — and I expect to see them get well! 
      I declare this by faith in Jesus’ name!

sparking gems from the greek

Questions to Answer

1. How long has it been since you looked at your hands and really thought about how God wants His power to flow through them to heal sick people?
      2. Have you ever laid your hands on the sick? When was the last time you did so? What was the result the last time you placed your hands on the sick and released your faith to see them get well?
      3. If you interviewed the people you have laid hands on in the past, what percentage of them do you think eventually got well? Did you ever stop to think that their recovery may have been due to the power that was deposited into their bodies when you laid your hands on them?

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

How long has it been since you looked at your hands and really thought about how God wants his power to flow through them to heal sick people? I look at my hands everyday and say to myself that God give me power that flow through me to do his work by laiding my hands on the sickpeople and their will get heal. But if the sick person don’t believe that the healing power flow through me them their will never get the healing what God is flowing through me with the power of the Holy Spirit. Have you ever laid your hands on the sick ? When was the last time you did so? Yes I did laid hands on a sick person when I was in the cancer center and preyed for healing with and their get better and their are right now doing very well and their stop taking all their meds what their were taking and that was about three years ago and that happen since them I didn’t laid hands on anyone . But I pray for my co-worker when he lose both of his hands at work. If you interviewed the people you have laid hands on in the past ,what percentage of them do you think eventually got well? If I interviewed people what I laid hands on in the past I will say that about 5%of them get better before their leave the cancer center. It had one pastor that I laid hands on and he get better so he could go home the next two weeks and he call me and say he is doing very well. And my friend Dottie was the second person laid hands on and prayed for her and she get a full recovery from her lung cancer and are right now cancer free . And she are living in ATL and she keep in full contact with me all the time since all what I did for her .

Donna Riley
        Participant

Raphael, it is awesome to know that during the time you were in the cancer center, you still considered other people’s needs. God saw your heart was not only for your needs, but for others. This is an awesome testimony of the example of the fruit of the Spirit of love. You loved your neighbor as yourself. What you wanted for yourself, you also wanted for others. God bless you. Continue the good work.

Thank, you Raphael for your testimony and how you selflessly prayed for other while you yourself were in need.  God wants his power to flow through us to a lost and dying world.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Wow, great testimony Raphael, you are really occupying until Jesus comes. I believe when someone received healing by laying of hands, it’s easier for them to lay hands on the sick. As they themselves experience it and know that it work for them, so it can work for others.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Raphael, your praying for and laying hands on others at such a time shows your heart of compassion and love for others. This is reflective of the love and compassion that the Father showed on us every day and you were doing the work of your Father.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Raphael, that’s awesome that you yielded yourself to be used by God to pray for others while you were at the cancer center. You could have taken a negative approach to the situation, saying why should you pray for them seeing you’re facing the same challenge or say let someone else do it. But instead, you allowed God to use that situation to turn things in the lives of other people. What you did was selfless, and I applaud you for it. May God continue to use you in mighty ways!!

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Brother Raphie it is awesome that we can be used by the Almighty God to heal the sick, so Jesus was on earth so are we in this world–Glory be to God!

Rhonda
      Participant

I have looked at my hands and thought about how God wants His power to flow through them to heal sick people. I ask Him daily to use me as unto an empty vessel to do his will.

I have laid hands on the sick several times before, some whom were gravely ill. The last time that I laid hands on the sick was last week Saturday at SWAT. There was a lady who was a believer who recently had major back surgery and she asked us to pray for both healing and a place to live. I released my faith with hers, laying hands on her and believing. I am standing on the Word of God that she is healed and not sick.

If I interviewed the people I have laid hands on in the past, I would say that 90% of them eventually got well. The remaining 10% may have received their healing, but eventually became sick again. Yes, I’ve stopped and thought back that their recovery may have been due to the power that was deposited into their bodies when I laid hands on them. I am a believer and believe the Word of God is true and when I lay hands on the sick they shall recover. The Lord redeemed us from sickness just as much as He redeemed us from sin.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Rhonda- Yes that the same thing I say when I look at my hands every morning I get out of my bed . But remember that God give us the power in our hands to laid hands on the sick and their shall recover from all their sickness.

Rhonda, the Bible says to ask that you may receive, that your joy may be full. Although it is God’s desire to use you, you play a very important part in it. If we don’t believe, speak and act in faith we will not see the manifestation.  God wants to use your hands to perform miracles!!!!

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Rhonda I concur, I know I witness you praying for a young lady that worked at Pueblo Supermarket and her spirit was definitely lifted–no doubt she is healed.

Donna Riley
      Participant

Wow! Just last week, I held up my hands and I blessed them and told God how grateful I was that my hands are fully functional and they are designated just for His purpose whatever it may be. This is powerful for me because in the past I have always complained about how ugly my hands are. They are not feminine type hands.  They look just like what they are, hardworking hands. So, to appreciate my hands is a big step for me, in the right direction.

Yes, I have laid my hands on the sick.  A couple weeks ago, I laid my hands on a taxi driver who was getting treatment for cancer in his jar.  I checked on him a week later and he told me the doctors told him the cancer was in remission and he didn’t have to have any more treatments. Since then, he has gained weight and looks more at ease. He says he believes in Jesus. However, I don’t believe he is fully committed, because his disposition (one of serious impatience and anger) has not change.  I will continue to pray for this area in his life.  A couple of months ago, my daughter came to me and told me she had a bladder infection.  She asked me to pray for her.  I prayed a short prayer.  I was hesitant afterwards because I knew she wanted a longer prayer. Thank God for God.  We instantly became busy at work which lasted three straight days. This caused us both to forget about the problem. The fourth day, when things slowed down, Charlotte said, “Ma you know the infection is gone. I had forgotten about it.” I asked her, “what infection?”  God kept us both so busy that doubt did not have time to creep in and destroy our faith in her healing.

I know for sure the two people above are 100% healed. The only other people I laid hands on are those during SWAT.  I pray that all the people whom I have laid hands on during SWAT have received and kept their healing.  Being in the presence of the other believers is a great help in keeping the faith.  So, I hope the percentage is the same with everyone. The only thing I attribute to myself is the fact that I chose to be obedient and even in that, I needed help.  I know who lives in me. I know the resurrection power is in me. I know I have the authority to use this power. It is Jesus who does the healing and is the power source for all miracles and manifestations. I also know only through the believers can this power be transmitted to all others. God made it so and that’s the way it is.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Donna:Likeyou say that you ask God to bless your hands so you can do the blessing work of God by laid on of your hands that why we was told that we was giving the power from god to laid hands on the sick . But if the believer don’t believe that he or she heal the sick sick that power will not flow through the or her when you laid hands on the sick.

Excellent point Raffy, you have to believe that the power will flow through your that is your part to believe and God will definitely do the rest.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Donna, to speak the truth I haven’t looked at my hand and asked god to bless them so that I may heal the sick or the gravely ill, with afflictions or diseases for quiet a while now. Not until I had an experience with my sister about a month ago. I admire your faith, when you simply said that you held up your hands and asked God to bless them and use them for his designated purposes, even though you said that your hands are not the feminine type. Each and everyone of us uniquely and wonderfully made by God and he has a purpose for us. So thank him for his uniqueness’ that he give to us as the children of the Most High God to fulfil his purpose and plans in the earth

Rhonda
        Participant

Donna, awesome testimonies about your daughter and the taxi driver. Your post reminds me that laying of hands is authorized by Jesus Himself in His final commission to His disciples at the close of His earthly ministry, as recorded in Mark 16:17–18.  It is one of the five supernatural signs that are to accompany believers.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Donna, I think that sometimes we can be very critical of ourselves. I often find myself looking at my hands, especially during prayer. At times I say how skinny and crooked they are, while others say they’re nice and slender piano playing fingers. However, this course and forum have placed a new focus. Now, when I find myself staring at my hands I’ll think of the awesome healing power that flows through them and the work that I have to do for Jesus.

Marita Smith
      Participant

To be honest, it has been quite a while since I looked at my hands and really thought about how God wants his power to flow through them to heal sick people. Even though I haven’t given much thought to it lately, I know it’s a mandate that God has commissioned me to do as a believer, to carry on the work of Jesus after he left. John 14:12 He that believeth on me, the works I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do, because I go unto my father. God expects this of me, to lay hands on the sick that they shall recover. he expects it to be done. (Mark16:18)

Yes I have laid hands on the sick. The last time I laid hands on the sick was the morning of Friday Nov.18th, 2016 when I laid hands on my granddaughter because she was experiencing symptoms from a cold that she was being challenged with.

The results after I placed my hands and released my faith to see her get well was not one that I expected, because she did not receive instant healing. She continued to experience the symptoms, I know healing is not always instantly but sometimes gradually. I continued to confess the word over her that by Jesus’s stripes she is healed; God’s word has power to heal, power to deliver, power to set free, I was confident that the word of God will still continue to work through her body that would eventually bring the manifestation of her healing.

If I interview the people I have laid hands on in the past, I would say about 80% of them eventually got healed. The other 20% didn’t receive their healing because they did not believe; mainly because they were still experiencing the symptoms, they were moved by how they felt and not by the word that by Jesus’s stripes you are healed.

A Few times I stopped to think that their recovery was a result due to word I spoke over their body as well as the power that was deposited in their body when I laid hands on them. I believe when I spoke the word over their bodies; the power, and the anointing was on the word to bring the manifestation of their healing. God’s word is quick, powerful and sharper than any two edged sword.(Heb 4:12)

The Centurion in (Matt. 8:5) who beseeched Jesus for healing for his servant; told Jesus you don’t have to come to my home just speak the word only and my servant shall be healed. Jesus told the Centurion as thou hast believed, be it done unto thee and his servant was healed the same hour, that’s evidence that the word has the power to heal.

Donna Riley
        Participant

To speak healing over someone close to you is one thing, but to be able to heal someone from afar I believe is extremely powerful. We must come to the full understanding that in the spirit realm there is no time and distance. One must be strong in their faith and confident that what they say will come to pass no matter the distance. I look forward to getting to that point in my walk with Christ.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Sis Marita like the centurion i also believes that there is no distance in the spirit. at times certain individuals believe that you either push them down or you a’int do any thing but I believe that when you speak and command healing in their bodies they become healed also. awesome testimony.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Just like you it had been a while since I looked at my hands and really thought about how God wants his power to flow through them to heal sick people. Just like you did with your grand-daughter, I have laid hands on my self many times, for a headache, pain, or any ailments and say the healing scripture over myself. I don’t waste time staying in this circumstances of illness or pain I claim my healing in Jesus name, because I know who lives in me and I know whose I am. This scriptures 1st John 4:17. gives me a better understanding that as Jesus is I am so in this world, Right now Jesus is healed, whole, healthy, and seated in heavenly places. That is where we must see ourselves just as Jesus is in heavenly places.

Rhonda
        Participant

Marita your comment that healing is not always instantly but sometimes gradually, reminded me of the story of Jesus and the fig tree. He was hungry and came across a fig tree with no fruit and as a result he spoke to the tree and commanded it to bare no more fruit. The tree did not wither immediately to the natural eyes, it withered from the roots up. But on the second day it was clear for all to see. I believe it’s the same principle, whether we are laying hands on the sick or speaking God’s Word, we must to have faith in God.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

Until three weeks ago, I must say that I  have  not looked at my hands and thought about healing in a long time .

I must honestly say that i had an experience about three weeks ago. I had no idea we were going to discuss the topic about laying of hands and healing as our next forum.  Three weeks ago my sister called on the phone and ask if I can come over to her apartment. She lives two doors away from me. I knew from her voice that she was in extreme pain and suffering from the issue with her foot. She is nor terminally sick or gravely ill, but the tears of pain where rolling down her cheeks and she doesn’t cry easily.  So I understood her needed help. To make a long story short, I began  by asking the holy spirit for his guidance in this matter and then I started to read the healing scriptures I got from Minister Walker.  We put the TV on TBN to set the atmosphere and began praying in my heavenly language. Shortly after,  I felt in my spirt to lay my hands on her foot and decalre healing for her in Jesus name.  We  prayed  Isa:53:4-5 over her, while i  was still rubbing and massaging her foot.  In twenty minutes or so, she was able to get up off the bed, go to the living room,  and even get something to eat by herself without my aide. I stayed with her until I knew she would be able to get some sleep and ease from the pain.  I thank God, that we have the greatest healer in Jesus.  Amen.

I saw my sister the Friday of the same week and asked her about her foot and the paiin after we prayed and claimed her healing in Jesus name.  She told me that the pain is not complete gone but it is more manageable and bearable.  I told her to continue to believe, trust in her healing, read the healing scriptures,  but the most important thing is to exercise her faith and know that she is already healed, because Jesus paid for it with his blood and his life.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Awesome testimony Celise, It’s very important to wait, hear and listen to what the Holy Spirit says to do because he would tell you exactly what to do and what to say. That’s the purpose of him living on the inside of us to lead and guide us in all truth, and because of your obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit your sister was able to receive her healing Glory to God for the victory!!

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

I really enjoyed your post Celise!! Thank God you were availabe and able to pray for your sister!! Sometimes we’re available, but not able to do what we should because what you did isn’t done…asking the Spirit to guide you and following His direction. I like how you encouraged her to keep reading healing scriptures, I did the same thing when I was hospitalized. Reminding myself that Jesus took this already for me. You listened for His voice and allowed Him to use you amazingly, doesn’t even seem like you hesitated to get into action….you definitely did the work of Christ 🙂

Donna Riley
        Participant

Celise, that is a touching testimony. I like the fact that you didn’t at first depend on yourself or even what you already knew. You immediately turned to the Holy Spirit and asked for guidance. That is a good thing because God will use different methods to achieve the same results. I believe it is because He wants to see if we are truly dependent on Him and not our selves or others.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Great testimony Celise. Great that your sister knew to call on you. Also, great is that you called on the Holy Spirit for His guidance and not solely depended on your own knowledge. It is such a humbling position to be in knowing that Jesus expects us of doing his work until he returns.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Sister Celise I agree that we do have the greatest healer—the healer himself.  I remember one time I felt a lump on my breast while taking a shower, immediately prayed for healing and it was gone–Glory be to God!

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

Honestly, I have never look at my hands and thought how God wants His power to work through me, by mean of my hands. I know that he has mandate us to lay hands on the sick and they shall be healed, but looking at my hand literally, I never did. Today was the first time I looked at my hands, as an anointing tool to lay on the sick and watch them recover.

Truthfully, the last time I laid hand on the sick was when Pastor Walker announced: “Whoever is sick stand up, and believers’ go and lay hands on them.” I also remember when we went out on SWAT, I meet this lady who has a challenge with her back. She walks with a brace behind her back; she told me that she is homeless so she hangs around the hospital just in case she needs painkillers for the pain. I ask her if she knew Jesus? She said, “yes.” I ask, do you believe that He can heal you, “she said, yes, I went to bible school.” My thought was, ok, she is a believer. I replied, “can I lay hands on you by faith for your healing.” I prayed that the will of God be done in her body, that God healing virtue with touch her body, making it whole and complete. Reminding Him that we were healed 2000 years ago and that I command His power to work a healing and a curing in her body making it whole. I believed what the word says concerning healing, so I stand knowing that I did my part and God will do His. I drove around many time since then, hoping to see if she’s still there. However, I keep my faith switch on knowing that God can not lie and that He will do what He say He would do.

About 90% will declare that they were completely healed. I had never thought that someone might have been heal because the power that was deposited when I laid hands on them. I know it is the anointing of God that deposit the anointing, releasing healing power.

Walter Brown
      Participant

1. How long has it been since you looked at your hands and really thought about how God wants His power to flow through them to heal sick people?
      Well Looking at my hands i have not. This is and instinctive action from the time i have joined the church and learned that the power of God can flow thru me,so I do this from time to time when i come into contact with a sick individual. I especially love this part of ministry. being used God is an awesome thing. So every chance I get I pray for the Sick and lay hands on them.
      2. Have you ever laid your hands on the sick? When was the last time you did so? What was the result the last time you placed your hands on the sick and released your faith to see them get well?
      Yes I have Laid hands on the sick. I have a friend who is ill and he has some issues and I laid hands on him in late October. I also remember in 2013 i was told that a very close friend of mine was in the hospital dying. I went there prayed for him and laid hands on him told him he would live and not die, well all i can say is he is alive, praise be to God.

Well the last time I laid hands and release my faith I am presently seeing him progress. it is slowly but, I believe he is progressing.
      3. If you interviewed the people you have laid hands on in the past, what percentage of them do you think eventually got well? Did you ever stop to think that their recovery may have been due to the power that was deposited into their bodies when you laid your hands on them?
      I would say about 40% of them got well and out of that I know of two that became strong christians. Never really thought about it. all I know is that God has been using me and I love that. I just love doing the works of the kingdom.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Walter, it is so awesome that we are bless with the authority in Jesus name, and the work that He do greater work will we do also. I also look for opportunity to lay hands on the sick, and see them recover.

Walter I am so happy that your heart was opened to be used by God and how it impacted someone else’s life.  Now you see the importance of believers being who God called them to be and doing what he called them to do.  Your hands and your words and so important to God.  Continue to be used by him!!!!

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with Lilli I never looked at my hands and thought how God wants His power to work through me by mean of my hands. Until reading Min. Abbot passage on Laying Hands. It talked about the qualities needed to lay hands. Quality two states you must have hands to lay and I too never acknowledge my hands a an anointing tool for recovery.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

This question really made me think. When I look at my hands, I usually think about writing and I think about work. I have never really looked at my hands specifically contemplating God’s healing power flowing through them to heal sick people. For me, it has always seemed like God using all of me and my hands were the natural “point of contact” (to quote Pastor Walker) for the transmission of that healing power. I am a naturally “touchy” person (to convey comfort or laughter etc.), so, for me, it has always seemed like, “How else can I get this to you besides these two hands?” I’m not sure if I am explaining myself correctly on this answer.

I have laid hands on the sick before but I would say it would be that laying on of hands as described in Luke 4:40 “divers diseases.” I’ve never laid hands on someone who was close to me that was invalid or terminally ill. I’ve known people who were terminally ill and prayed for their healing, but at the times of their illnesses. Sadly, I wasn’t knowledge in this area and did not lay hands on them. I have laid hands on people the sick and I’ve also laid hands on people during SWAT who said they were suffering from potentially terminal illnesses.

The last time that I laid hands on someone and prayed for their healing was last week. My daughter gets really bad stomach aches sometimes. They had gotten so bad that we’d gone to the doctor and had tests run. All of the tests were negative, praise God but occasionally the pains come back with a vengeance. The pain left her body and she has been doing well. I continue to plead the Blood over her and believe for no more episodes.

Question #3 is a little difficult to answer because from Rick Renner’s article it doesn’t seem like the “laying on of hands” that I have been practicing most of the time is what Jesus was talking about. It seems from the article that this power to heal is to be used for the critically ill and invalids and I’ve been laying hands and praying for healing from headaches, stiff shoulders, pain etc. It, of course, follows, that any level of illness can be healed so I’m going to say 80%. When people get healed that I laid hands on, I just think it is God.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

It has been quite sometime since I’ve looked at my hands and thought about how God wants His power to flow through them to heal sick people.  I have however, only on a regular basis prayed over my hands stating that any and all things that they do and touch shall be prosperous. I haven’t recently specifically asked nor thought about God wanting His power to flow through them for healing of the sick. Often when in prayer, if my eyes are open I watch my hands alot. In hindsight that is possibly the Holy Spirit prompting me to specifically think about God’s healing power flowing through my hands.

Yes, I have laid hands on many sick people; family, friends, church members, students and strangers. The last time I laid hands on a sick person it was a lady that was experiencing pain and stiffness in her neck. The result of me laying hands on her and releasing my faith that she recover was manifested healing. She is also a Christian, so I know she released her faith also, which is important for a sick person’s recovery.

If I were to interview the people that I have laid hands on in the past what percentage of them do I think eventually got well? Hmmmmmm. . . . . I would hope that a high percentage of the people I laid hands on for healing has recovered. It is somewhat difficult for me to put an exact percentage. It is difficult because I don’t remember everyone that I have laid hands on and also because I don’t see most that I have laid hands on. However, I do pray that most of them have recovered.

I do know that God has given us the power to heal and to even do greater things than He has in the earth. According to Mark 16:18. . . . “they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover “. When laying of hands to heal I do so knowing that with the power of the Holy Spirit within me along with that person’s faith and my own, they shall recover! !

Monica, I agree it was probably the Holy Ghost prompting you and letting you know that God definitely wants to flow through you to a lost and dying world. There are unbelievers out there waiting for someone like you to come across there pathway.  When we look at Jesus, he healed many people that had no faith. Matthew 14:14 :“And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.”  We are living in the days where, just like Jesus, we will be moved with compassion and heal them all.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Yes Monica it’s the power of God that flows through our hands when we lay hands on the sick that they shall recover. Most importantly we have to have faith to believe especially if it’s a person who doesn’t believe our faith has to triumph their unbelief to bring the manifestation.

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

I have never looked at my hands and thought about God using them to flow His healing power through to heal the sick. I never thought about being used in that way by God, although it says plainly in His word that we will lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. I think its because I would allow self condemnation to get in the way, never thought I would be “holy” enough to be used.
      I did lay hands once, a very long time ago. They actually got worse instead of getting better, and that really discouraged me. I know it had to be that something wasn’t right within me, because I know everything was right with God and His word. Since that, I’ve only done it with my children when they were younger, and they would improve. Maybe my faith was stronger when it came to my children, and I had no choice but to trust God in those moments.
      Well, I’ve never done this with anyone besides my chldren. They were younger, and headaches fevers hiccups and bad dreams were the usual reports in my practice ;). Honestly, I think I would be hesitant. I can pray for you, like we did with the “Hot Seat” at the touch group meetings. But, when it comes to one on one, that’s an area I definitely need to build my faith in.
      I knew that when my kids felt better, it was due to the power of God that flowed through me, it was like the fevers broke instantly!!
      I recently read the stories about Azusa Street, and I see how God is not a respector of persons…He used anyone that was available!!! There’s alot of junk I have to get rid of out of my mind. I’ve allowed religious traditions to dictate wether I’m “good enough” to be used by God in these great healings….my mind truly has to be renewed so I can confidently do the work of the ministry.

Ezrikah, we have all had to pass that road. Condemnation will destroy your confidence in God’s ability to use you. Not because he lacks the power to do it but because we don’t believe. But thank God for Romans 8:1 “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” The only criteria for being used by God is receiving Jesus as Lord. He made us righteous, and according to Colossians 1, he has qualified us. This is awesome!!! So it is not based upon our righteousness but based on the finished works of Jesus. Get ready to be used by God!!!

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

I’ve read that verse more than once or twice, but never truly received it. When I messed up, condemnation delivered and I would accept the package. No more, I’ll be getting ready like you advised. Thanks Min. Abbott 😉

Glory to God!!!  I can’t wait to see what God does in and through you.  The world is waiting!!!!

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Ezrikah, it’s only now that we are doing this forum that I actually look at my hands, with the thought that God actually uses my hands to flow His healing anointing through. I believe when it’s concerning our children, we have a deeper intendance to see what we pray for come to past. I also believe as we get more in the word, our faith will rise in such a level that the word that we speak will be so powerful that even sickness will have to obey and bow to the name of Jesus. This is our command by faith.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Lilly, this forum, this course thus far, is really causing me to shift focus!!! My hands were primarily my means to making a living, they’re my work tools…never looked at them and thought that these very hands would be used by God to flow His healing power through!! Enlightening!

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Ezrikah,  it’s so easy for us to walk in condemnation, but as Pastor has taught us; that’s the desire of the devil. He wants us to condemn ourselves because once we know that we have been totally forgiven we are free to walk in our authority.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

Ezrikah I have been where you were, not only with the condemnation but also because I believed that only certain people could be used in this way.  I remember when my father was hospitalized about eight plus years ago.  His wife and some church members were talking about calling specific people to come to the hospital and pray for his healing.  I believe that they thought that these people’s prayers were stronger.  They were called the prayer warriors hand so for a while I thought that certain people were called for healing.  I thank God for revealing the Word that believers shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover and that we have been made righteous.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

I’ve experienced similar circumstances, and those contributed to my feelings of condemnation. But now, I see the situation with new eyes. They wanted to join their faith with person(s) who they were sure had faith in God’s word so they would be victorious in prayer. When we’re in need, we want to know that person can get that prayer through, and not just hit the ceiling. The feelings when you’re in the situation aren’t welcoming and it hurts to be jumped over, I had to learn not to take it personal….they’re in spiritual warfare at that moment. Taking it as an encouragement to boost my faith so I can be depended upon to pray for those who need me to.
        Soo thankful for these teachings we’re getting!!

Walter Brown
        Participant

I have certainly been where you guys were in believing it was only a certain group of people that had the gift, but now i know that God is no respecter of persons. that I too can lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I like sister Stacy’s responds to question #3 stating it didn’t seem like the “laying on of hands” she was practicing was what Jesus was talking about. That It seemed from the article that this power to heal was to be used for the critically ill and invalids. She has been using it for healing of headaches, and stiff joint pains those levels of illness. I believe it can be used for all levels of healing. It’s a cure all and divine healing relationship with God for anything in His will. Nothing is too small or too hard for God. It makes the it more intimate.

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

Since I work in the medical field, I get the opportunity to lay hands on the sick quite often. However, I never really examined my hands in acknowledgement of the venue whence the healing is being delivered. Last week a college and I went to ICU to pay a second visit to her close friend who was critically ill. Went we got there another Word of Faith member was there. My college said, shall we pray and we all rested our hands on different parts of his body and began to pray.

I do this often in my capacity however, I think. It was more of an innate type of knowledge of Gods desires. He desires us in general to call on him for help for our love ones. I didn’t think of it a like a law and in this text if strike me as being a law. If we, the believers, lay hands on the sick, then they will recover.

Many different believers have been in to pray for this individual daily for a little under a month. During Tuesday’s interdisciplinary rounds, the doctor gave report concerning this individual’s very interesting and very unusual illness. He stated that the illness finally stopped attacking his body and believes he knows a drug to counter act the residuality of the illnesses presence (the residual large amounts of antibodies the body produced to flight back the illness)

If I had to interview the many people I’ve laid praying hands on, I’d say 50% were healed, 30% did not believe and refused to stop calling and claiming the illness and 20% passed away even with all the hard-tapping in. I know that their recovery was due to the power that was deposited into their bodies when I laid hands on them. I just had to come to an understanding about the 30% and wondered about the 20%.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

Personally, I have not looked at my hands and thought about how God wants His power to flow through them to heal sick people because when I read scriptures like Isaiah 53:5, “But he was wounded for our transgression, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his stripes we are healed.” I believe the Word, the blood and the cross–the finished work that happened 2,000 years ago.  That is where my confidence lies, I am just the vehicle used by God to get done.

I have laid hands on my immediate family, extended family, students, coworkers, friends, strangers, neighbors etc. The last time I laid hands on someone it was my daughter she had a seizure–thank God for the blood!

If I interviewed the people I laid hands on in the past the percentage should be 100% because it is not my doing but the blood of Jesus and healing is already a done deal. We pray from a position of victory not trying to get healing to work.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center