Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 3 – Doing the Works of Christ Doing the Works of Christ – Discussion Forum – Week 2: (November 27 – December 3, 2016)

Doing the Works of Christ – Discussion Forum – Week 2: (November 27 – December 3, 2016)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Doing the Works of Jesus – Week 2

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, “Doing the Works of Christ” course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  For our second week’s forum view the video below by Bishop Keith A. Butler entitled, “Doing the Works of Jesus, Pt. 1a” and take good notes you will need them for class on Sunday, November 20, 2016.

No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  You must post your response by THURSDAY of each week to receive credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  Enjoy the video!!!!!

QUESTIONS:   

1) How important was it for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech as explained by Bishop Butler?  Does this same practice apply to you and I?  Explain.  

2) Have you ever considered the connect between your words and doing the works of Jesus before viewing this video?  Explain

Rhonda
      Participant

Jesus only said what God said and God trusted him to be disciplined in his speech. This was very important because God’s system works on words and carry spiritual forces. As a result of Jesus’ disciplined speech, God was able to give him the Spirit without measure (John 3:34). God was able to allow the full power of God the Holy Spirit to function and flow through the ministry of Jesus.

This same principle applies to believers because the full power of God the Holy Spirit first operates through words that come from our mouths. We will not have the full power of God the Holy Spirit if we can’t be trusted with our speech.

I have never considered the connection between my words and doing the works (acts or deeds) of Jesus prior to viewing this video. I did not understand that the measure of God the Holy Spirit I receive is based on God trusts in me to speak His Word only. According to Hebrews 3:1, Jesus is our apostle and high priest and as high priest he takes the Word of God spoken through us to God for action.

I am truly thankful for this message because I know that I need to be more cautious of the words that I speak so that I can do the works of Jesus and greater works. The scripture verse that stood out to me was John 5:30 (KJV), because it truly showed how discipline Jesus was on the Earth to do God’s will. “I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”  This required precision, that is why Jesus spent so much time in prayer to the Father. God instructed Him in what to say and do.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes Rhonda Jesus only said what God want him to say and trust in him to disciplined in his speech and his words and you are right when you say that God give him the same measure of faith that he give us today in our spiritual walk in life.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Yes Rhonda God cannot trust us with our speech if our words don’t line up with what He has told us. He can’t turn up the power Jesus had so we can do the same. Imagine that Jesus promised us that we would do mightier work that him if we only believe, that is powerful. So I in courage all of us to watch what we say and do so the power of God can flow.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with Sister Rhonda God was only able to give Jesus the spirit without measure because he was disciplined with his speech, and because Jesus was so discipline God was able to allow the full power of the Holy Spirit to function and flow through the ministry of Jesus. This principle does apply to the believer if we can discipline our speech and say only what God says we too would experience the full measure of the holy spirit. Glory to God

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

How important was it for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech as explained by bishop Butler? Does this same practice apply to you and I explain?. Yes the only word comes out of Jesus mouth is what his father tell him ,what to say and if God say so is a fact and that the only way you cloud do the work of Jesus Christ to model yourself like. But if you want to do the will of God you have to listen to the Holy Spirit. Jesus disciplined himself with the word that come out of his father mouth and we have to do the same thing with our mouth so we can do greater works than Jesus did and you must receive the word by faith. And we are a part takers of the heavenly calling on ours life’s,and only if we have that blessing like Jesus . When we receive that facts by faith you have to believe it and take it because Jesus was a faithful son and if you do the same thing you have to be the same kind of person like Jesus. Yes before I hear this video I didn’t think about that but since I listen to this video it make me think that Jesus was doing the right thing . And and the work of God is the right thing to do to be like our Heavenly Father and he say that if we do t8he work like Jesus we will be like him in the same manner,and let all of God be done in our life so your Heavenly Father can be perfect will be done in your life all the rest of our lives while we stay walking in our heavenly life.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Raphael, very true, we have to do the same thing as Jesus our big brother, in order for us to be trusted with the full measure of God’s power. We can do it,

Marita Smith
      Participant

How important was it for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech as explained by Bishop Butler?

It was important for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech as explained by Bishop Butler because he was trusted by the father that what came out of his mouth was only what the father said. Because he was so disciplined with his words, God gave him the spirit without measure: meaning God was able to allow the full power of God the Holy Spirit to flow and function through his ministry because he could be trusted to operate in that power. Jesus only wanted to do the will of the father.

Yes that same practice applies to you and I because we are sons of God, as he is so are we. We should have the power turned up to full measure also, the only reason it’s not turned up to full measure is because we can’t be trusted with what comes out of our mouth nor are we disciplined in our speech.

No I have not considered the connect between my words and doing the work of Jesus before viewing this video. God has to be able to trust me with the words I speak, so he can allow the full power of the Holy Spirit to flow and function in my ministry just like he did with Jesus.

I sometimes allow my flesh to get the best of me and allow my lips to become loose and say the wrong things. Now that I have a better understanding of how important my words are and doing the work of Jesus after viewing the video, I am now willing to make the adjustments and become more cognoscente of the words I speak.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Marita,  like yourself, I’ve allowed myself to say the wrong things, and too often.  I never took into consideration that God has to trust my words in order for me to function the way Jesus did, not like Bishop Butler has explained.  When I think on it now, how could I possibly expect God to release such power to me when I’m not taking the time to consider my words, making sure they’re in line with His will.  This has opened my eyes, I have alot of changing to do, alot of internal weeding.  I am right there with you, more than willing to make the necessary adjustments.  I want to be in the action, doing the works of Jesus and fulfilling the will of my Father!!  I want to do those things that please Him too!!

Walter Brown
        Participant

Boy Sis Marita you hit the nail on the head. Before I even seen this video I would let the flesh rise at times and say the wrong things, but also even sometimes in our everyday conversations we let certain words or even thoughts come to mind and say them without thinking. Wow thank God for 1john 1:9 that he is faithful to forgive us. I will do my endeavor best to watch my words and my thoughts so that God can trust me and let the Spirit flow without measure.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Marita, after looking up that big word “cognoscente,” lol, I must say because I am also cognoscente of being discipline in my speech, I will be forever mindful of it. Because I want to be trusted for God to uses me in any way possible, He pleases.

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

It was of the utmost importance for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech as explained by Bishop Butler.  As he clearly stated, that discipline was necessary for God to be able to release to Jesus the power of the Holy Spirit at the maximum level.    It had to be that Jesus was guaranteed to only say what His father said, operate only as His Father instructed, to bring about the desired result of the Father’s will.   As Jesus said in John 4:34, His food is to do the will of Him who sent Him and to finish His work.                                                         This same practice definitely applies to me.  Since I have accepted Jesus as my Lord and saviour, God expects the same of me, and more.  As in John 14:12, Jesus says: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.   I have to come to the point where God can trust that I will only say what I hear Him say, so that I can successfully complete His will in the earth.

I’ve learned over the years that words are more than just air passing through the lips.  Words create, words break down, and the words I speak are active.  Holy Spirit always checks me on the things that I say, sometimes I follow His prompt, and other times (which were more than I would like) I would go right ahead and let it rip (having to then turn around in that moment and tell Him I’m sorry).  Before this video, I’ve mostly focused on trying not to say things that would have a negative effect on myself or on those around me,  but not really giving too much thought on how discipline in my speech affects me in doing the works of Jesus.  Although I’ve read these same passages of scripture numerous times, they haven’t gotten into my heart like they have now since I’ve begun learning more about the word of God through these Laypersons courses.  This video, along with Todd’s are opening my eyes to soo much things that were right there all along, but because of ignorance in these areas, I just couldn’t  get it.  Revelation after revelation!!!  My prayer is being answered, the bible is coming to life for me, its becoming more than just black or red words on white paper!!

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

Powerful wording and analysis sister Eziriks concerning that discipline was necessary for God to be able to release to Jesus the power of the Holy Spirit at the maximum level which was needed to bring about the desired result which is the Father’s will for his people. I also agree that giving my life to Christ means I believe in him and want to do the works of God. Therefore, positioning and disciplining myself to say only what God says in order.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Sister Ezrikah trust me when I tell you that we are all a work in progress none of us has arrived. We are all in this together as the bible say iron sharpens iron. I must agree with you that through these classes that we are getting a deeper understanding of who God is, and more and more revelations of his word and what he expects of us as we go about doing is work. I’ve always known that the words we speak are life and things are created from the words we speak weather good or bad. I see why now God has to be able trust us with our speech before he can give us his fullness because we would mess everything up with our words. God is an Awesome God!!

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Ezrikah, I agree with you regarding your comments. I also agree that our Layperson’s  classes brings the Bible alive!! The classes teaches us soooo much as we strive to become better doers of the Word and not just hearers!! 

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

It was important for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech per Bishop Butler because God could trust He would only say what God said. Jesus could be trusted that the only words that would come out of his mouth is that which he heard the father say. Jesus could be trusted to be discipline in His speech to say only what God says. Because Jesus was so discipline in his words, God could give him the spirit without measure. This meant God could allow the full power of God the holy Spirit to function and flow through the ministry of Jesus. Because Jesus could be trusted to operate that power and that power is first operated through the word out of your month.

We are sons of God as Jesus is a son of God. If we model ourselves after Jesus and discipline ourselves to say only what God says, God would able to allow the full power of the holy Spirit to function and flow through us.

I have considered the connection between my words and doing the works of Jesus but not in the capacity that Bishop educated on. More in the capacity of speaking words of healing over someone or blessings, or even saying kind words to someone to show the love of God. Even though its seems like common sense, I never ever thought about God needing me to say only what He says. This lesson opened my eyes to a whole new world of the operations of God. If I can discipline myself to say only what God says, He would trust me and allow the full power of the Holy Spirit to function and flow through me and I would be able do even greater works then Jesus as Jesus says. Amen

Marita Smith
        Participant

Yes Denise I can concur with you that we are to model ourselves after Jesus and discipline ourselves to only say what the spirit of the Lord tells us to say so that he would be able to trust us with the full power of him. That is why it’s so important that we speak in our heavenly language on a consistent basis, it’s in our spirit is where the Father speaks to us, lead and guides us.

Rhonda
        Participant

Denise, I like your statement, “God could give Jesus the spirit without measure.” Jesus had truly earned God’s trust. I use to wonder why Jesus would often say that he only says or do as His Father say or do. Now I have a greater understanding on why this message was highly emphasized by Jesus.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

Yes, it was very important that Jesus was disciplined in his speech . Jesus only spoke the words his father spoke. His father knew that he could be trusted with his speech,  because the only words he spoke the words of God.  Because Jesus was disciplined in his speech, the father was able to allow the full measure of God, through the holy spirit to function and flow through his ministry. He also knew that Jesus could be trusted to operate in that power. His will was only to please the father. So he was always praying and listening to hear from God before he took any actions. Jesus was so disciplined in his words and actions, that it was pleasing to God, that as soon as Jesus was being baptised in the Jordan,  God himself spoke on his behalf. Proclaiming his good pleasure with his son. But Bishop  said that his father was pleased way before the baptism took place. Jesus is also our high priest.  It is one of his responsibilities take our words before God  for action. If our word or speech is disciplined we will be able to please God and we will  be allowed to be used of God to do the works of Jesus and do greater wroks.

Yes, this same principle applies to believers today.  As believers we must believe that we can do the works of Jesus.  John 8:29 . And he who has sent me is with me . The father has not left me alone, for I always do the things that please him. As believers God has sent us and expects us to do the works of Jesus . He said that he is with us he hasn’t left us alone, this should give us the confidence to trust that God is present with us at all times, and if our speech and actions are pleasing to God then we shall have the power to do the works of Jesus.  The first thing we must do is to receive it by faith and to take it by faith. It is not the responsibility of the apostles, pastors  or the five fold ministry.  If I am a believer,  Jesus is talking to me also. Because I believe on him. Jesus was anointed  by the Holy Ghost to do good or good deeds. When the some of the deeds that Jesus performed was spoken about , and then he said that Jesus deeds covers every single spectrum of human endavor, I was like wow! . How am I to do all to those things and even greater things that that. But Phil: 2:13. For it is (not your strength, but it is) God  who is effectively at work in you, both to will and work (that is, strengthing, energizing,  and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfill your purpose) for his good pleasure. So therefore I know that God can effectively work in me if my speech and life is model after Jesus and he will strengthen and energize me to do the works of Jesus.

No, I really haven’t ever considered the connection between my words and doing the works of Jesus before viewing this video.  Because I never really had the faith and trust to believe that I have the power to do the things that Jesus did. Even though I am a believer and have read and heard about his works, the miracles  and wonders that he performed.  I always thought it was  the work of the  Apostles,  Pastors and the five-fold ministry, people with the gifts of healing. I know that the power is within every believer, who believes and trust in Jesus.  We must be like Jesus disciplined and trusted in our words and actions, so that we may be allowed by God to receive the full measure of the Holy Ghost to operate in our lives and help us to fulfill the mandate of Luke 19:13. Yes I plan to be more diligent in my speech and actions. Our words carry Spiritual Forces, whether the are pleasing to God or not.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Celise, you are soo right!! Words are more than just words alone, they’re a force. Our words set things into motion in the realm of the spirit, regardless of them being negative or positive. As one of our classmates mentioned, we would surely mess things up if we were given the power at full capacity, because of our lack of discipline in our speech. I’m sure its possible for us to get to that level, because we’re not doing this in our own strength. Like the Word says in Galations 2:20: I’m crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. We’re not in this fight defenseless, we’ll be successful once we just rest in Him, because its not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord of host!(Zec.4:6) We can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us!!(Phil.4:13) We’re on our way to fulfilling the Great Commission in Mat. 28:18-20, on our way to doing the works of Christ!!

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Celise, the point that you made in your last paragraph spoke to me.  Even though I know that Jesus said that we would do greater works, I could not even begin to wrap my mind around that until I started really studying the Word in these classes.  The people performing these miracles had titles – Jesus, Son of God or Apostle. Who was I to even think that I could do these works?  Sister Donadelle put a word into context for me last year that gave me a revelation.  I’m not just a Christian, I am a Believer.  My title is Believer and that revelation has taken my faith walk to another level.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

Jesus was obligated to be disciplined in his speech, as He and His Father is one, and He only does and says what His Father tells Him. He spoke the word only. Because He was so disciplined, the Father could have trust Him with the full measure of His Spirit. Jesus was a man that walk this earth just like us, anointed by God with the Holy Ghost. The same things we experience on this earth, He also did. However, He purposes in His Heart that He was going to please His Father.

The same practice applies to us today; however, we are more negligent in our speech. Because of that practice, God can’t turn up the anointing in full measure. I agree with Bishop that God is cleaning us up to pour the full measure of His Spirit upon each of us. We just have to purpose in our heart that we will only say what God tell us to. Because doing the work of Jesus require for our mouth to be clean up, and to become discipline in our speech, also using our faith to please God. We will follow our big brother step, only say and do the things our Father instructed us.

I haven’t considered the connection between our words and doing the works of Jesus, however, I do know that words are what form the universe, and words can produce whether good or bad. Going forward, I am going to put a guard over my mouth, so I will be mature enough for God to use me in full measure. I am still trying to visualize the greater work that we will be doing. I just can’t imagine exceeding past Jesus works, but God said it, so it can be done.

The video was enlightened, I never heard It teach in this manner. Bishop touches on some good points.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Lilly, I too appreciated how Bishop explained the importance of us being disciplined in what we say as it relates to being able to do God’s will. It really was an eye opener for me! I like how you said put a guard on your mouth, I immediately pictured a muzzled dog, sometimes I just have to learn to muzzle my mouth 😉 I’m guessing I should take this statement into strong consideration from here on: “if you don’t have anything good to say, shut it up” As a matter of fact, I’m going to put that up on my desk as soon as I get in the office tomorrow, I can’t be fooling with this thing no more!

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Lily,  I believe that we all have been affected on way or the other after viewing the video on the message by Bishop, doing the work of Jesus.  I agree with you that words produce reactions and changes, whether they are good or bad.  The words we speak today are just as powerful today as the were in the past when the past or will be in the future.  That is  why we must let God clean out mouths with his words, enabling  us to be trusted and used by him.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes Lillyjesus was obligated to bring his speech under disciplined to do the work of his father who sent him to do his will. But if we want to walk in like manner as Jesus we also must bring our speech under the disciplined like Jesus did and if we don’t we will not do the work that Jesus have to do here in this world. But just like Jesus we’ll can make a obligation to bring our speech under discipline

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

It was vitally important that Jesus be disciplined in His speech. This discipline equipped him with the works that He had to do. Jesus had the Holy Ghost rubbed on and smeared on Him. This allowed Him to do the great deeds of healing the sick, paid finanancial issues such as taxes, raised the dead and covered every spectrum of human endeavor. Jesus only spoke the words of His father. What Jesus said was only what God said. Jesus could be trusted by the Father to be disciplined in His speech. He could be trusted that only what he heard his father say would come out of His mouth. God was able to give Him the spirit without measure; (John 3:34) because he could be trusted with His words. Since Jesus could be trusted with His speech, He had the full measure of power turned up on Him.

Yes, this same practice applies to you and I. If we are to do the work of Jesus and greater things than Him,; (John 14:12) then we too must be trusted with our speech. We need the full power of the Holy Spirit if we are to do these works. Those that don’t have the full power turned up on them is because they can’t be fully trusted with their speech. As imitators of Jesus we are to do as He does; which most importantly is to only say what the father says. If we are to do the works of Jesus completely,  we need the full power of the Holy Spirit and that is only available to us when we can be trusted with our speech.

Honestly? No, I have never considered the connection between my words and my work for Jesus. I’m aware that there is power in my tongue, (Proverbs 18:21) and that my words speak life and death. But I’ve never made the connection to do the works of Jesus. I do my best to be slow to speak, and at times when I may say the wrong thing I’m able to speak in tongues instead. However,  there are times when my flesh is weak and I  let the 1st thing that comes to mind roll off my lips. I’ve  been known for having a sharp tongue, so it has been one of my earnest prayers to not use my words loosel. After watching this video with Bishop Butler, I will be especially mindful of my speech and it’s connection to doing the work of Jesus. There’s a lost and dieing world out here and I need to be trusted with my speech so that I can receive the full anointing of the Holy Sprit.

Rhonda
        Participant

Monica, my understanding of the important’s of words was like yours. I too was aware that there is power in my tongue, and that my words speak life and death. But didn’t made the connection to do the works of Jesus. I thank God for greater understanding of His Word. Bishop Butler explanation in this video was clear and powerful.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Monica, I too have come to realize with a greater understanding how important it is that our speech and words  be guarded, with a new diligence and purpose,  after watching the video.  As you referred to Pr. 18:21 death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.  Life Bishop said that thing 1 inch below your nose is like a 12 Guage shotgun, and we know that it is a dangerous weapon. Capable of doing evil or able to protect a life. It is the same with our mouth, words and speech. They can be used to do bad and say the wrong things or we can use them to speak life, health, healing,  but most importantly we must use them to speak the words of God. That we maybe come trustworthy disciplined, models of Jesus  and used of God.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Monica, we have a lot of work to do, because for us to Do the works that Jesus did, we must do what He did. He disciplines His speech so His Father could have trust Him to carry out His power in full measure. We also have to listen to the Lord’s voice so that we will follow His leading. I’m going hard after this, my desire is to walk in the fulness of God. Amen!

Donna Riley
        Participant

Monica it was notable that you brought out the financial aspect of Jesus’s ministry. We concentrate on the healing most of all, but it is important to know that the same power that was used to heal is the same power that is used to have our financial needs met. Amen!

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Monica I can relate, every morning my prayer is that my tongue don’t set on fire the course of nature–to watch what I say because the tongue defiles–dong’t speak idle words and foolishly talking things that are contrary to my true desire to myself and toward others. Amen

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

1) How important was it for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech as explained by Bishop Butler? Does this same practice apply to you and I? Explain.

It was very important for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech because the power of God operates through the Word of God. Jesus knew this and knew that He could do nothing of Himself. He was operating as a man and so the only way the power of God could be manifested was to allow Himself to be used as a vessel to hear from God and speak God’s Words to heal, deliver, set free etc. This same practice applies to you and me today as well because as “the other sons of God” we have to be trusted by God to say what He says and do what He tells us to do. Jesus sat down at the right hand of God after he had completed His assignment and left His work for us to do and greater works also. We can’t do something different and be successful. It just can’t work.
      It was eye opening to really think that God has to trust me. So many times as believers we just look at trusting God at His Word for this or for that, but it is a two way street.

2) Have you ever considered the connect between your words and doing the works of Jesus before viewing this video? Explain

I have never really considered the connection between my words and doing the works of Jesus before viewing the video. I understand the importance of speaking God’s Word as we are a Word based church but I always put that in the context of “we have what we say.” It was always in a more self-centered way as opposed to we say God’s Word to carry out the Great Commission.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Stacey, isn’t it an awesome blessing with great responsibility?  To be able to complete the work of Jesus and to be filled with power. However, based on our speech it will determine just how much power we’ll receive through the Holy Ghost.

I tend to watch what I say not only in a self centered way but also in regards to “who” those words can have an effect on. Now, that I’m working with children I’m even more aware of the words I speak. Lord knows they test my patience DAILY!! But after a scolding, I still smile and show them that I love and care about them. I do my best to turn their frowns upside down into a smile.

After watching this video and learning that my speech is tied to the work that I do for Jesus has really shown me another perspective.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Monica, an awesome blessing and great responsibility indeed! I’m becoming more conscious of my words at work and at home, all day every day now. Holy Spirit is coming through even clearer now, putting me in check quickly!!! Even last night at service, He had me change my attitude soo fast, it was an amazement to me!!! Because of that, I didn’t fall into the enemy’s trap and the only thing that came out my mouth was worship…this is all soo amazing!

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Monica, I like the point that you brought out about who is hearing what we say.  You used the example of children but we also have to be careful around unbelievers.  Sometimes when we are having casual discussions at work about politics, crime or children, I have to check myself that what I am saying lines up with the Word of God.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Stacey, the connection between doing the works of Christ and what I was saying didn’t cross my mined either before viewing this video. I figured all we had to do was believe that when we lay hands on the sick they shall recover. I see now that this was a contributing factor in my failures in the past. Now, its like, how could I have not seen this before!! The words that I speak are life, something happens when I speak, things are set in motion. How could I possibly expext to walk in that power, and continue speaking contrary to His word. Eye opener for me 😉

Donna Riley
        Participant

Yes Stacy relationships are a two way street. Unfortunately, in our self-centeredness, we forget that we have a crucial part to play.

Donna Riley
      Participant

It was very important for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech. Words are extremely powerful. Words are what created the universe and everything in it. Every word Jesus spoke was God’s Word and God’s Word is a spiritual law. This means that the Word of God is forever and cannot change. Jesus was disciplined in His speech, because He only allowed Himself to say what God said.  He did not allow Himself to interject any of His own thoughts, feelings or opinions. Being human comes with a lot of emotional scars. To not get caught up in feelings and emotions, Jesus had to submit Himself fully to God.  As a result, Jesus could be trusted, by Father God, with the full power of the Holy Spirit and Father God knew that Jesus would not abuse this power for His personal gain.  As Bishop Butler said, “It was because Jesus could be trusted that the Father could give Him the Spirit without measure.”  This meant that God could allow the full power of the Spirit to function and flow through Jesus’s ministry. That power is first operated through words out of our mouth.  Another reason Jesus had to be disciplined in His speech is that He was a man of faith. Hebrews 11:6 states “It is impossible to please God without faith.”  People of great faith speak the Word of God with confidence knowing the Word of God is a creative force which causes things to come to pass.

Yes, this same practice applies to us because we are sons of God the same as Jesus. Romans 8:29 says, “For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His son….”  Several facts backs this up. I Corinthians 15:47 clearly states that Jesus was a man. “The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second <u>man</u> is the Lord from heaven.”  Jesus even went so far as to experience death, just as we do.  In John 3:34, it says “For he whom God has sent, speaks His words, for God did not give the Spirit by measure.”  Jesus was a man full of the Word and Spirit filled. Steven like Jesus was a man full of the Word and Spirit filled.  According to Roman 8:17, we, the believers, are joint heirs with Christ. Whatever Jesus inherited or can do so we to have inherited and can do.  Therefore, if Jesus has the discipline to hear and speak only the Words of God then we can do likewise.  If Jesus received the full power or measure of the Spirit in His ministry so can we. And last, but most important, Jesus does not lie. Jesus said, in John 14:12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do…”  Jesus said we should not only do the works He has done, but greater works. So definitely this same practice does apply to us.

I thought I had a good understanding of the power of words, however Bishop Butler’s message took me deeper.  In the past, I paid exclusive attention to studying the Word of God and very little to doing the works. This message by Bishop Butler showed a solid connection between words and works.  Once Jesus said something; it was proven by the works He performed. Simply put, Jesus’s works substantiated His words. He would first use words to explain His purpose.  Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. Then, He would go about proving it by healing every sickness and disease. When Jesus spoke what the Father told Him to say, it released the supernatural spiritual power causing miracles to occur.  Jesus also showed me that He had to fully let down His guard allowing God to use Him anyway He wanted.  This made Jesus susceptible to or expose to danger and severe criticism by others.  Jesus had to fully trust that God would see Him through. Another reason for Jesus to do works to back up the words He spoke is that the people needed to believe that God really cared about them. People need for their needs to be met.  They need to know that the words spoken to them were not just lip service.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Donna, you (and others) used a word  that resonates with me – discipline.  When I was very young in the Word, I made a friend who was a lot more disciplined and knowledgeable in the Word.  They would correct me all of the time when I said something that was not in line with the Word.  Sometimes I would get in my flesh to the point where I would just not say anything because I figured it would probably be wrong.  I understand now what they were trying to do because words carry so much power.  We can either speak God’s Word for life and all of the good that that word carries or speak our own words that results in failure and defeat.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Sister Donna I agree totally, we need to trust God–it definitely won’t happen overnight because we are so accustomed of doing things our way so the flesh is always fighting us for control when we submit to God’s will not ours.  Good read.

Walter Brown
      Participant

It was very important for Jesus to be disciplined in his words because words are what made this world. He was a faith person also , negative words would affect our power in doing the kind of ministry he did. He only did what the Father told him. Never acted on his own.

This same practice applies to us in this day and age because Jesus gave a mandate. He told us for one thing to occupy till he comes back and two he gave a promise that greater work we shall do if we who has not see him and believe shall do. Most importantly it is so God can trust us with the anointing.

No I haven’t really considered my words and doing the works at all. Watching and listening to this message made me think real hard and how to be careful about what I say and even look at. Guarding the anointing, how precious it is. Also it is so God can trust us with it.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

It is very important for Jesus to be disciplined in his speech in which He was. Jesus only spoke what He heard from His Father–that is why He was able to speak to fires, winds, waves, animals, etc. because He was instructed what to say. He prayed all night listening to what God tells Him to say–Jesus was a faith man. The Bible says without faith it is impossible to please God. Bishop said doing the works of Jesus requires our mouth being cleaned up–everything God does He does it with words.

The same practice definitely applies to us, we are to emulate Jesus–as Jesus were on earth, so we are in this world. We are to watch what we say which is faith-filled words not fear-filled words which will cancel out what we are standing in faith for.  Also praying and listening for instructions from God will enable to us to perform the miraculous on a daily basis just like Jesus.

The Holy Spirit is always dealing with me about the words that are coming out of my mouth–as soon as fear-filled words comes out I have to bind it and loose faith filled words; in addition, He deals with me in regards to gossiping especially subtle kind that come across like you are concern about someone and the person ends up gossiping about the individual. I have close friend the Holy Spirit is constantly telling me to shut my mouth when she starts speaking.  I must say it took me a long time, I had separate myself from the person and when she comes talk to me I listen and try not to even nod my head to agree with her because the discussion always starts out one way and ends with her talking about someone. So I have to say definitely I have considered the connection of my words doing the works of Jesus before viewing the video.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center