Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 2 – Spirit Controlled Life The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 1: October 9-15, 2016

The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 1: October 9-15, 2016

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Spirit Controlled Life – Week 1 – Discussion Forum

sons-of-god-568x319

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, Spirit Controlled Life course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  For our first week’s forum answer the following question:

QUESTION:   

1)  Explain in your own words, what does it mean to be sons of God?  According to Romans 8:14,For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  Enjoy!!!!!

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

“As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are sons of God.” Just as in the natural we are led to follow the instruction of our parents, because we are their children and we much obey their guidance. Likewise, the soldiers in the Amy, they are command to follow the directives of the Captain in charge, either, they will not be call soldiers. The same with our Heavenly Father. God is spirit, and as we follow and obey the dictate of what His spirit is saying to us, and obey His leading, we enter into sonship with Him. Then and only then we are privilege to be call sons of God.

A lot of people are confuse concerning the sonship of God; many feel that everyone that’s born into this world are sons of God. However, this scripture proves that not everyone is a son of God. Take into consideration that Satan is a god also, and it’s our right to choose which God we will serve. Deuteronomy 30:19 “I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.” Here we were admonished to choose life that we and our seed shall live. We know that eternal life comes only from God the Father.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes I agree with you that isn’t everyone who is born again is the son’s of God.But however we who have that spirit of God the scripture tell us that should serve God in spirit and in turth if we do tha we all will be call the son’s of God that why you was right when you say that he told us to choose life and not death and your seed will live to be the children of God with the spirit of God

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Kindly view again Raphael, I stated, “many feel that everyone that’s BORN INTO THIS WORLD are sons of God.” However, we have free will to choose whom we will.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Good Evening Brother Ottley–

You reply to Lilly’s thread and stated “I agree with that isn’t everyone who is born again is the son’s of God.”  It is probably a typo.

However, Lilly said, “A lot of people are confuse concerning the sonship of God, many feel that everyone that’s born into this world are sons of God. However, this scripture proves that <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>not everyone</span> is a son of God

A prerequisite of being sons of God is being born-again and I believe Lilly is speaking about others who believe in a “God” believe we are all serving the same God which makes them sons of God.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Lily, I agree with you when you say many have misinterpreted this type of sonship. Many say “I try to live right. I don’t steal or kill, and I go to church every Sunday or Saturday….I know God”. But according to His word, that doesn’t qualify one for sonship. Did you accept Jesus, do you have the Holy Spirit, do you have a personal intimate relationship with Him, do the signs that He said would follow a believer follow you….do you hear His voice and know that its His? The scripture does say that the time is coming where the TRUE SONS will be manifested. Guess it’s time for some self examination, we have to choose this day who we’ll serve.

Donna Riley
        Participant

Yes, Lilly, everyone who is born into this world are children of God. However, only those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior will have the ability to move on to become sons of God.

Good Example using a natural parent and comparing it to being led by the Father.

Rhonda
      Participant

Romans 8:14, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.” Scripture makes it clear that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, so I had to refer to the verses before and after in Chapter 8 to understand the context of verse 14. In the verses before and after Paul helps us to see the benefits of living a life in the spirit in comparison to life in the flesh.

As believers when we accepted Christ we were eternally adopted by God. John 1:12 tells us, “As many as received Him, to them he gave the right, the authority, to become the children of God, even to those who believe on His name.” To be the sons of God as mentioned in verse 14 means to be a child of God.

When we become sons of God we are in turn led by the Spirit of God through the Holy Spirit which resides in us. This also serves as evidence that we are indeed sons of God. Sons of God mean that we can have a personal relationship with God so close that we cry out, Abba Father and are heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

I like when you say that the Holy Spirit live on the inside of us that why we are evidence that the spirit of God will be with us until we meet him in heaven and he will led to his heavenly kingdom and yes we be call the son’s of God

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Wow Rhonda! we can cry Abba Father, I love Daddy! for someone to cry Abba Father they really have to have a relationship with Him. When I am in relationship with someone, I know their voice as I hear it, because I am in-tune with his/her voice and also spend time.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

For as many as are led by the spirit of God ,they are the son’s of God .In these time if you can let yourself be led by a man you can see.How better can we be led by the spirt of God  so we can be call the son’s of God.If when we were babies we was led by or mother and father who show the way of this world. But how much more we be led by the spirit of God what live on the inside of us that no one change nothing. God give us that spirit what on the inside of us and when we pray in the spirit we are being led by the spirit of God so we can be call the son’s of God on this earth.Just like when we are led day by day our spiritual walk God and his son and he will keep leading us for the rest of our lives

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Raphael, I agree that God give us His spirit to dwell in us so we can be led by His spirit. As we follow the leading of God Spirit within us, it bear witness that we are sons of God. As the scripture stated, “as many as are led by the spirit of God,” John 1:12 “to them he gave the right(the authority) to become sons of God.”

Rhonda
        Participant

Raphael, I am so thankful that Holy Spirit is a trustworthy guide who will never lead us astray and knows the path ahead much better than we do. Apart from Him, you and I cannot live a godly life. Galatians 5:16 instructs, “Walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh”.

As Sons of God, it involves you having, an intimate relationship with the Father by connection with Him through your spirit in love. Galatians 4:6 reads, “Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying Abba Father.” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son… and John 5:19, then answer Jesus and said unto you, the son can do nothing of himself but what he seeth the Father do for what things soever he doeth these also doeth the son likewise

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

To fit the criteria of being “sons of God” according to Romans 8:14, means that person is in tune with the voice of God. This individual has developed a personal relationship with the Father. As Jesus told the Jews that crowded him when he walked in the temple on Solomon’s porch in John 10:27 “My sheep hear my voice..” It means that person has made it their business to spend quality time with God, search the scriptures and have “hidden His word in their heart so they won’t sin against Him” (Ps. 119:11). The word is more than just black or red words on white paper, they’re alive! It’s like they’re having a face to face conversation with Him. They talk to Him everyday, even about what they wear in the morning, because they know that He loves being involved in every area of their lives. It reminds me of Min. McCray!! I remember she once told us that nobody could ride in the front seat of her car, she was like “that’s Jesus’s seat, can’t nobody sit there!!!” She would have me cracking up, but I knew He was sooo real to her. I would see her in the church parking lot praying and talking to her God. Even Min. Walker talking about when she went to SWAT at Kmart in town, and she was really at it. God told her what to do and say, and because she was able to hear His voice, one man turned and said to her “I want to know Jesus”. Because she truly knows Him, she can tell when He’s talking to her, and lives are saved because of it!!
      Sons of God don’t have a sense of condemnation when they approach God, because there is “..no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus..”(Rom. 8:1). They approach him with boldness like Daddy’s word says in Heb. 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace..” They know who they are and whose they are, and take their place in Christ at the right hand of the Father everyday!!
      They are in tune and God guides them in their family, jobs, finances, relationships, and everything else, not leaving anything out from His involvement.
      This is where I want to be, this is what I want for myself. I want to be soo in tune, I want to hear and no His voice like never before, I yearn for this soo much. I don’t want to be on the outside looking in anymore. When I hear others talk about their relationship with God, I want to be able to smile on the inside knowing that I hear my Daddy’s voice and He’s more real to me than ink on pages. This is my prayer for me, to know my Daddy’s love…

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Ezrikah, very true, in order for us to be led by the Spirit of God we have to know His voice. John 10:27 also stated, “and they follow me.” Not only that we have to know His voice, but we also have to be obedient to the leading of His voice (Spirit).

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Yes, obedience!!! We definitely have examples of those that heard God’s voice, but they didn’t respond with an attitude of obedience. Look at Jonah for example, look where his disobedience got him…..in the belly of a fish!!!! And for those of us who choose to ignore God’s direction, hell awaits…where they’ll be weeping, and alot of “I should have..”, and by then its too late. Lord help us all to be sensitive and obedient to your voice.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Ezrikah I feel your heart and I sense that you are desiring more from God, just to encourage you its going to take spending more time in God’s word, seeking him out praying in the holy spirit more, and spending time in prayer, that’s where you will develop a personal relationship with him and also get to know who he really is and he will become real to you. He said ask and it shall be given unto you, seek and you will find, knock and it shall be open unto you.
        As I stated before its in the spirit is where you will get instructions from God, and where you will hear his voice and where he will lead and guide you. I was once where you are and I had to do the same things, to get me to where I am now, remember God is no respecter of persons, what he did for others he will do the same for you, and now I hear his voice clearly and he shows me things in my spirit. It’s so amazing. Glory be to his holy name…..

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Thank you for the encouragement Sis. Marita 😉

Donna Riley
        Participant

Ezrikah, it is comforting to hear the Father’s voice. You know you are not alone especially in difficult situations.  When everyone else abandons you in extremely tough situations, Jesus said He will never leave you nor forsake you.  Also, the Holy Spirit has all the answers. WOW! Definitely let’s stick with Him and tap into what He has in store for us.  Once you allow God to guide your footsteps, you can’t go wrong. We just need to be diligent, obedient and faithful.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Good Evening Sister Aska–

I enjoyed reading your feedback and I can hear that hunger for God’s presence in your voice. I just wanted to add that you have it once you continue reading his Word because that is where He speaks from.  As a child of God, you are growing everyday and getting better and better–no one got their overnight.  I remember when I first started to seek God I will go into the bathroom kneel down close my eyes (no, literally squeeze me eyes shut) thinking I will hear from God that way.  However, as I read the Word more and more He began speaking to me through scriptures (His Word) and my spirit got in tune with His and we started having conversations (spirit to Spirit) inwardly.  For example, when you drop a piece of paper on the ground and leave it there because no one is looking and that voice tells you to pick it up–that’s the Spirit or when you speak harshly to your husband and thinks he deserves it and the voice tells you to go back and apologize–that’s Him.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Pamela, thank you soo much for your post!!! I’ve definitely had those moments, the paper and the husband 😉 I somehow felt in those moments that it was the Holy Spirit speaking!!!! It’s sooo good to know that someone else has experienced the same and I wasn’t being foolish in even thinking that God would talk to me about something as simple as a piece of paper on the ground, and trust me, it happens alot!! I am soo overjoyed right now, I was hearing my Daddy all this time, I just didn’t know for sure, but thank God for teachings prayer and testimonies that are helping me to see that He’s been speaking to me and He’s been leading me for some time now. Glory to God in the highest!!

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Ezrika, I like you reference to Hebrews 4:16.  When we know and are in relationship with our Father, we are bold in our approach to Him.  Children who are close to their fathers approach them differently than those who aren’t.  There is a different level of expectation.  One approaches with doubt, the other with confidence.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Stacy, that’s true. There sure is a difference in the way we approach God when we aren’t being led by Him and also when we don’t understand who we are in Him. I remember my feeling of condemnation, like I couldn’t talk to him because I wasn’t worthy enough or I can’t here from Him because I wasn’t worthy to. BUT now, I know sooo much better, He’s teaching me and speaking to me through His word, and I am being led by the Spirit because I am a son!!

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Ezrikah, I  can so relate to the condemnation that we place ourselves under due to our past. BUT GOD!!! As stated in Romans 8:1, “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Here is reassurance and another benifit to being “Son of God” and having that unique relationship with Jesus. Freedom….there is freedom in Him!!

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

Ma’am I too long to know what it’s like to have a real father. Although I’ve been “saved” since I was in my youth, I’ve never really known what it means to be a child of God, and feel his love. I just went through the motions. Im only now starting to realize what it means to love God in spirit and in truth, and not just talk about…Im excited to see us both grow and finally know what its like to really have a relationship with God our Father.

Marita Smith
      Participant

In Romans 8:14 says “For as many as are led by the spirit of God, are the sons of God”. In my own words this means the day I accepted Jesus as Lord over my life I automatically became a son of God and he became my heavenly father.(1John 1:12) I have now taken on his character, his nature, his qualities, his likeness and I am now confirmed to his image to be like him. (Romans 8:29)

When people see me, I should be recognized by my character, the same way I act in church is the same way I should act on my job, around my family and friends, and when I’m on the street. People should be able to see Jesus in me in everything that I say and do because he lives on the inside of me and I’m a representative of my father on this earth.(Matt. 5:16) “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your father which is in heaven”.

The fruits of the spirit should always be evident in my life because that’s what Jesus’s whole life represents the fruits of the spirit, (Galatians 5:22,23) as he is, so am I in this world. (1John 4:17)(b)

God is spirit and so am I, It’s in the spirit is where I hear from God, where I receive instructions from God, and its in the spirit is where he leads and guides me, and it’s in the spirit is where I can know what is his will and purpose for my life. Jesus never did or say anything unless he heard from his father. Where does he hear from his father? in the spirit. (Zechariah 4:6) “Not by might, nor by power but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts”

Rhonda
        Participant

Marita, I like that the scripture (Romans 8:14) used the word ‘led’. We must then, by the Holy Spirit, endeavor more and more to mortify the flesh. This requires us to walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Marita, I like what you said about being God’s representative on the earth.  When children do something, good or bad, the first place people look is to the parents.  As sons of God, We have to reflect God’s goodness, love and mercy so that we can win the lost to Christ.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Marita, I so agree with you about us beingJesus’ representation. Most of us were raised in the natural way and not the Spiritual. We must subdue our flesh and be led only by the Spirit. We must keep our noses in the Word of God so that we can be led by his spirit that dwells within us. The more that we are led by the Spririt the greater the manifestations of the Fruit of the Spirit. These fruits guide us in our daily living and can only grow the more we remain Spirit led and not by our flesh. It is a task that we must work on daily.

Donna Riley
      Participant

<h4>According to Romans 8:14, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God,” the word sons in this verse is the Greek word huios.   It is referring to the relationship between a parent and a child.  The relationship between the two parties has to be an intimate one.  During the relationship, the child takes on the parent’s nature and character, causing a transition from childhood to sonship to take place.  This relationship is an ongoing one.  Spiritual maturity is a growing process that has no end.  The term son is used when the character of the child is the same as the character of Jesus.  Evidence that the child has become a son is when he is led by the Spirit of God; that is receiving instructions from God and fulfilling the will of God.  In verse 13, the Apostle Paul says if we live according to the flesh, we will die, but if we live according to the will of the Spirit, we will live.  The son’s life style is different.  There is no more envy, strife, and division. The son no longer looks to anyone, but the Spirit of God for the final answers.  Even his prayers are different.  Children will always look for things they want to receive.  However, the son’s prayer life is no longer me, me, what about me?   His prayers are based on what the Word of God says concerning the situations he is dealing with.  The son will seek the fruits of the Spirit.  He seeks the fruits of the Spirit because the fruits of the Spirit allows him to maintain a standard of living no matter what circumstances may arise.  Maintaining a certain standard in your life provides stability not only in the life of the believer, but serves as a strong foundation that will help to attract others to Christ.  Once the child takes on the likeness and image of his father, he becomes a son and is no longer distinguishable from the father.</h4>

Marita Smith
        Participant

Donna you made valid point a child takes on one his parents likeness or image today people would say you look just like you father or mother you act just like them; So it is when we become a son of God. We have his DNA his likeness his image his blood is now running through our veins, we become with him. people should see that something is different about us and would be drawn to the Jesus in us because he resides on the inside of us, he never leaves us he is always with us.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant

Explain in your own words, what does it mean to be son’s of God?  According to Romans 8:14, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God they are the sons of God.

In my opinion, in order to answer that question, I will have to add Romans 8:15, “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”  Adoption means to legally take another’s child and bring it up as one’s own–and that is exactly what God did for sinners because we all at one time belonged to Satan.  But thanks be to God for sending His own Son, Jesus, who went to the cross and died for us, and redeemed us with His blood. Therefore, we are grafted-in as a child of God–which makes us sons of God.  In addition, once we accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we are welcomed into God’s family. God lives in us; according to Acts 17:28, “For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.”  This is great news as we allow God’s Spirit to lead us and guide us.  We die daily to our flesh because that is the carnal or worldly part of us which cannot follow the Spirit.  Furthermore, following the Spirit enables us to share in Christ’s glory, which also will not be possible unless we partake in His sufferings as well. Fortunately, this is how we know with confidence that we are sons of God–once the flesh is no longer in charge it is easier to obey God and rest in His blessed rest.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

I agree Pamela!!! Thank God that Jesus endured the cross for our sake!! I’m thankful that we don’t have to go through a priest or prophet like the old days to hear from God…the middle wall of partition has been broken down and we can now come boldly directly to our Father and He speaks directly to us….such an amazing blessing!!!! The adoption…oh my goodness!!! He has taken us in as His own, being there even when those who should, have forsaken us. Just this morning at early morning prayer, as I was standing in the circle with the women praying, Holy Spirit said to me “open your eyes and look around at all these praying. These are your brothers and sisters.” In that moment, I wanted to just burst out in tears, these are now my family…these are now my brothers and sisters!!! I’ve been adopted!!!!

Donna Riley
        Participant

Pamela it is great to be led and guided by God. A great leader is one who followed another great leader.  The greatest leader is our Father.  Once we understand how God works, it makes it easier to go thru trials and tribulations.  We know the trials are not to harm us, but they are for our advancement.  Once we understand how to pray and stand in the gifts of the Spirit, the understanding of the process makes the going easier or more bearable.  Also, we know we have the victory not only in the situation, but in our growth in the area that needed it.  This brings peace, joy and contentment in the soul.

Pamesha Perez
      Participant

Pamela, I completely agree. I believe that when we show piety and truly understand that we are joint heirs with Jesus Christ and the Sons of God, we act more like Him by cultivating our fruits and doing His will. I am so grateful that He loves us so much that He considers us as heirs of His glorious kingdom. This keeps us from a sin conscience mentality and obtain a more intimate connection with the Father. We can walk confidently knowing that everything belongs to us and we can have whatsoever we ask of our Father. This is how much He loves us! Thank you Daddy, You are amazing! 1 John 3:1-2, “Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

Pamesha Perez
      Participant

I must admit, this question had me stumped. I played it over and over in my mind and had a very insightful discussion yesterday, but still I was not satisfied with my answer. I then went back to scripture Romans 8:14 which reads ‘For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.” It then became clear to me as at first, I was thinking outside of the scripture. The first part of the scripture states as for as many are led by the Spirit of God. We learned from Pastor Walker yesterday that all Christians do not always walk in the will of God. Well, to walk in the will of God means that you have to be led by the Spirit of God (John 16:13… “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth…”).

Therefore, we have the Spirit of God in us when we receive salvation and we become His children (Galatians 3:26  “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.”). However according to the scripture Romans 8:14, it is only when we submit and are influenced by the Spirit of God by fully understanding what it means to have the spirit of adoption/heirship, we truly become the Sons of God. (Galatians 4:5-7 “To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.”)

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Sister Pamesha

I just wanted to add my two cents to what you said, “However according to the scripture Romans 8:14, it is only when we submit and are influenced by the Spirit of God by fully understanding what it means to have the spirit of adoption/heirship, we truly become the Sons of God.”  I don’t take it has resonated with “self” what it means to be an heir because living in this world really takes a toll on our lives.  However, I looked up the definition for heir and it says a person legally entitled to the property or rank of another on that person’s death plus a person inheriting and continuing the legacy of a predecssor. When Jesus died on the cross (Glory be to God) he said, “It is finished.” God Almighty, our Father, set us up for eternity; however, because of what we go through daily in life it is hard to phantom. I liked what Pastor Gregory Dickow said on his website, we sometimes think “Maybe God promises just dont apply to ME.” Pastor Dickow said it is easy to think that way when it doesn’t seem like things are working out or it’s working for someone else, but not me. He says that is just what the enemy wants you to think. In addition, God’s promises are for us regardless of our shortcomings. His promises are based on Jesus not us. He has guaranteed to keep His promises and our faith rests on the grace of God. 

So let us rest in the finished work. And let the Church say Amen!

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Thank you for your two cents Pamela. It is unclear to me what you meant by resonated with self, but I will do my best to respond according to what I think you are trying to say. I apologize in advance if I get it wrong.

I do not believe that the children of God and the Sons of God are interchangeable. I believe they are two very distinct terms. When we received salvation, we became children of God. Why? Because God elected us before the foundations of the world as His children. We  are considered the Sons of God when we have matured spiritually and display likeness to God’s character.

According to your definition of heir, a person legally entitled to the property or rank of another on that person’s death plus a person inheriting and continuing the legacy of a predecessor, we understand that we as God’s children became legally entitled to the property when Jesus died and rose again. However because we are children, we are not mature enough to receive the inheritance even though we are legally entitled to it. The same is with being led by the Spirit of God. We have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us, but it takes spiritual maturity to be led by that Spirit. While God can make this happen overnight, that is not how He typically operates regarding this particular situation.  It takes spending more time with God, meditating on His promises day and night, exercising our faith, mature fruits of the Spirit, operating fully in the gifts of the Spirit, walking in the Spirit through trials and tribulations, suffering for our Father’s sake, etc.

I could not agree with you more when you stated that living in this world really does take a toll on our lives. That is why  I believe that not everyone will be considered a Son of God. It is a higher privilege/title that unfortunately not all of God’s children will obtain. Will all God’s children still make it to heaven? Absolutely. However, not all God’s children will be Sons of God and be glorified with Christ.

The scriptures that helped me understand are Ephesians 4:13-15, Romans 8:14-19.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

Romans: 8:14 “For many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the Sons of God.

When we accepted Christ, and became believers, we were adopted into the Family of God’s Kingdom. As Sons of our heavenly Father, we are led by the Holy Spirit.  We inherited the same character and nature of him.( Fathers, Son and Holy Spirit), through faith, because we are made in his image and likeness and his spirit dwells within us. Then  we must cultivate, develop and operate in a personal relationship with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  When our relationship is developed, cultivated with our Father, we know that we are sons and heirs and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ.  Gal 4: 6 -7 “And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying “Abba Father”. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son, and if a son, then an heir and joint heir of God through Christ. When we cry out in our hearts “Abba Father” we know that he hears our cry because, we have a relationship, a son-ship, being led by the Spirit, through Christ our Lord.  By building our selves up in the Spirit, by studying the word, being faithful in prayer, learning o f him and from him. (John 10:14) –  I am (Jesus), the Good Shepherd; and I know my sheep, and am know by my own. Being a Son of God not only means being adopted into God’s Kingdom Family, by knowing in our hearts that God, has sent forth his Son, Jesus for us to follow, That we may learn of his nature and character. That we may operate in the Fruits’ of the Spirit , Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control. The Fruits of the Spirit are the pattern and foundation of Jesus’s life and his Ministry. When we are able to be led by the Spirit of God, we will be able, to operate in all the Fruits of the Spirit.  Truly then we can claim Romans 8:14 is manifested in our lives

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Good Evening Sister Celise

I agree with what you said, “That we may operate in the Fruits’ of the Spirit , Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control. The Fruits of the Spirit are the pattern and foundation of Jesus’s life and his Ministry.”

I read Smith Wigglesworth on Spiritual Gifts, and he spoke about Concerning Spiritual Gifts–“God wants us to enter into the rest of faith. He desires us to have all confidence in Him. He purposes that His Word will be established in our hearts; and, as we believe His Word, we will see that ‘all things are possible’ (Matt. 19:26). ‘Now conceringin spiritual gifts, brethen, I do not want you to be ignorant.’ (1 Cor. 12:1) There is a great weakness in the church of Christ because of an awful ignorance concerning the Spirit of god and the gifts He has come to bring. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>God wants us to be powerful in every way</span> because of the revelation of the knowledge of His will concerning the power and manifestation of His Spirit. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>He desires us to be continually hungry to receive more and more of His Spirt</span>.”

God’s power is wrapped up in His gifts or it’s already gift-wrapped.

Walter Brown
        Participant

I like that we become adoptive in the Kingdom and become one with our Father.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

To be “sons of God” according to Romans 8:14 means to me that one must be led by the Spirit. All those that have accepted Jesus as Lord in their lives are in fact his children;  but not all of His children are led by the Spirit.  I read further onto Romans 8:17 which made things clearer. This relationship between Jesus and his childrsen that are led by the Spirit can and do infact call Him Abba, Father. His Spirit bears witness with ours thereby making us His heirs because of the unique “sonship” that we have with Him.

Another viewpoint regarding being “Sons of God” keeps us in direct contact or link to Him. Due to the Spiritual connection that we have with Him we have special benefits and a special relationship. In the natural world a father can have more than one child, yet have a closer relationship with one or more of his children but not all of them. The reason for this is that one or more of his children draws nearer to him. They are in tuned with him and him with them. This closer connection allows those children to have a deeper insight into their father and the way he does things. Sometimes questions aren’t needed because one of thosd children can say; yes dad will agree or no he’s not going to agree.

It is my desire to remain in the will of Him so that I can continuously be led by His Spirit and protect the awesome “sonship” that I have with Him.

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Well said Monica! I looked up some scriptures regarding the Sons of God and in the Old Testament Sons of God were referring to angels. We know angels are messengers of God and are spiritual beings (Gen 6:2 “That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose”.) To me, to be a Son of God is a maturity stage in our walk with Christ. We are only children of God in our infant stage. As children, we are cultivating our fruit, our gifts, and learning how to be led by the Spirit of God. We are not yet ready for the inheritance of God. We had to mature.

As Pastor Walker mentioned in one of his sermons, we receive inheritance when we are at a legal age. We know that we are getting the inheritance, but we do not receive it until we are mature enough to handle it. When we have matured spiritually, only then we can receive the sonship/adoption/heir that God has promised us. We are then similar to angels in the sense that we are truly walking in the Spirit of God and can be used fully to do all the great and miraculous things that He has called us to do.

Eph 4:13-15 reads “Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:” This took time and maturity to come into the unity of the faith, the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ. This does not happen as soon as we receive salvation. Clearly we were children first as it states in verse 14. There is definitely a growing process involved.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Monica, when I think about the direct contact we have with our Father, it reminds me of a song we would sing at my childhood church. I loved the song but I didn’t comprehend its meaning until later on after being taught. She would sing “God is on the main line, tell Him what you want. Jesus on the mainline, tell Him what you want…cal Him up, call Him up tell Him what you want”. He’s there, waiting for us to say what we want!!! He wants us to sit and commune with Him, He wants to lead us.
        Yes, we absolutely can answer for ourselves when we’re doing or about to do something that is out of His will. By our close relationship, we don’t even have to ask when it comes to certain things, we know what displeases Him, and that’s because we’ve developed a relationship with Him.
        Just like you, I too desire to be in His will. Like Pastor is teaching, its the safest place to be in these times.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

We become sons of God when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and receive the Holy Spirit. The  Holy Spirit in us can then communicate with God and we can receive direction.

The first thing that I think about is father \ son relationship in the natural.  The things that a natural father would provide cannot compare to what  our Heavenly Father gives to us as His sons.  We expect our natural father to love us, guide us, teach us, protect us and provide for us.  We also expect our father to prepare us to face the world.  God has given all of this to us as His sons on an immeasurable scale and we access it through His Word, prayer and the Holy Spirit within us.

To be a son of God means to be chosen to be a part of a family; the family of God. That means that I am part of a special unit.  I come from something far bigger than myself and also belong to something that is eternal.

To be a son of God means that I am like Him, my Father.  It means that I have inherited His qualities.  Children learn what their parents do and copy them and that is what we must do as sons of God.

Finally, to be a son of God means to love, care about and respect Him.  The things that He cares about, we care about.  As a son of God we obey Him and do what He tells us to do.

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Understanding how much God loves and cares for me and wants to provide for me was a difficult road for me. It was hard to comprehend that He was willing and ready to give when I asked because I didnt have a relationship with my father in the natural for a reference. There was no way I would relate, and I struggled for many years in my walk with God because I just didn’t understand. How could He provide for me when the father I had here on earth didn’t, how could He love me when the father I had here didn’t show me love, it was soooo hard. But, even though it was hard, I sat through Pastor’s teachings even though I wanted to walk out at times, and I learned that God loves me. Then He reminded me that He is a Father to the fatherless in Ps. 68:5, and though my mother and father forsake me, He’s right there…Ooohh how Good is our God!!!
        I love what you said…we are chosen, we’re part of a family, and we’re a part of something that is eternal!!! He chose us before the foundations of the world (Eph. 1:4), He predestined us to be a part of this family (Rom. 8:29), and this is forever, nobody can take this away from us because nothing can separate us from His love for us (Rom. 8:35)!!!!

Walter Brown
        Participant

Ezrika I to can relate to this it was hard for me at first to understand how God could provide for me or even love when my own father left me at age four. How hard it was that I could not see Him a God who loved and a man called me son that was hard. But I learned to love God for He showed me how awesome He truly is how He would never leave me nor forsake me.

Love plays a major role in the development and characteristics of the “Fruit of the Spirit” according to Galatians 5:22-23. Love produce love, Love produce peace, Love produce joy, Love produce patience, Love produce kindness, Love produce gentleness, Love produce faithfulness, Love produce meekness and love produce temperance or self-control. The fruits of the spirit all worketh by love. God is a God of love. The Greatest Commandment is Love. Matthew 22:37-38 you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. His love never fails.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Sister Stacy,

I am so in agreement with what you said, about a relationship with a father and son. That a father will never do anything to harm or in danger his son. His father only wants to teach, guide and protect his son, and to him help achieve the best for his life. Through the bond and relationship the have form together, by spending quality time with each other. That is the same relationship we develop when we to spend time with God our Father. That can only happen if we spend time with him, to learn of him and to be more like him. then we will be like the scripture says in Romans 8:14 ‘For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

Walter Brown
      Participant

Rom.8:14 what does it means to me to be a Son of God? Well it means that an eternal God gave up His prized possession for an just in case so I can have a relationship with Him. See Jesus did not die for an absolute, He died for a just in case a choice to serve Him. Now that is Love which gives me access to be a part of an eternal God who gave His life for me to be one in the Spirit and to become a son. Reconciliation back to a Loving Father, who knew if He forced we would have walked away. True Love.

Denise Torres-Hodge
      Participant

According to Romans 8:14 “For as many are led by the Spirit of God, they are the Sons of God” and Amplified version (For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God).  Ref: Gal 5:18”But if ye be led of the Spirit ye are not under the Law” another Ref: Rom 6:14 “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the Law, but under Grace”.

During our 1<sup>st</sup> class discussion with instructor, Maria Creque, we discussed that this Spiritual development is twofold.  It’s receiving instructions from God and it’s fulfilling the will of God in the spirit (Having the characteristics of Jesus).  Sons of God emphasizes the relationship of the children born to the father has his characteristics.  In order for one to be called a Son of God one must positioning themselves for this. First they must be born again John 3:3 “Verily verily I say unto thee except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” One must confess and believe in order for the manifestation of John 1:12-13 “But to them who believe to them He give Power”. 1 Corth 5:17 states “Therefore if any man be in Christ He is a new creature old things are passed away behold. All things are become new” Those who are born again, change their behaviors. They demonstrate godlike behaviors & develop and intermittent relationship with God. These are the Sons of God.

I agree with Sister Rhonda” As believers when we accepted Christ we are eternally adopted and then given the right and authority to become the Children of God. There is a condition and positioning first and like sister lily stated everyone that is born into this world are not sons of God. Being a Son of God is a choice.  As sister Lily points out in Deut 30:91 where God states he puts before us a choice of life or death, blessing and cursing and encourages us to choose life.  Only then can you receive instructions from God to fulfill His will in the spirit.  I believe this is what it means to be a Son of God.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Hi, Sister Hodge,

I also agree, that we became New Creatures through the faith the day we become believers and we were adopted into the kingdom as Sons of God. Were we receive instruction and direction from God concerning his will for our lives. But we must earnestly seek God in prayer, in his word that we maybe changed into his image and likeness fulfilling the Promise of Romans 8:14 ‘For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

Everyone has a valid point according to Romans 8:14” For as many are led by the Spirit of God they are the Sons of God.” Your spiritual connection beginnings with fellowship with the Father. Being led means to follow after. We are to follow after the life of Christ Jesus. We are to be imitators or followers of God and walk in love just as Jesus walked in love toward us.

Love plays a major role in the development and characteristics of the “Fruit of the Spirit” according to Galatians 5:22-23. Love produce love, Love produce peace, Love produce joy, Love produce patience, Love produce kindness, Love produce gentleness, Love produce faithfulness, Love produce meekness and love produce temperance or self-control. The fruits of the spirit all worketh by love. God is a God of love. The Greatest Commandment is Love. Matthew 22:37-38 you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

As Sons of God, it involves you having, an intimate relationship with the Father by connection with Him through your spirit in love. Galatians 4:6 reads, “Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying Abba Father.” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son… and John 5:19, then answer Jesus and said unto you, the son can do nothing of himself but what he seeth the Father do for what things soever he doeth these also doeth the son likewise.

This is what it means to be led by the Spirit of God, listening to the voice of God, being obedience to the voice of the Spirit, receiving instruction from God, fulfilling the will of God in the Spirit and character of Jesus. As we continue to follow the voice of the Father, Romans 8:16-17 says, the Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs- heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. Awesome Job everyone, continue to be connected in the Spirit and watch God manifest himself in your lives.

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

What does it mean to be sons of God according to Romans 8:14?”

According to Romans 8:14 to be sons of God means we are led by the spirit of God. It means we no longer live by our own worldly morals. Being a son of God means we have the spirit of the living God dwelling in us, and we live based on its prompting. When we allow God’s spirit to dwell in us, the old man doesn’t just disappear. It remains alive, warring against God’s spirit. The bible states we have to kill this spirit, and allow God to reign. Galatians 5:24 states “And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” It means we get to live a spirit filled life, and enjoy the promises thereof.

Before submitting my life over to God, I lived based on my own fleshy desires. I ate what wanted, went where I wanted, and never gave it a second thought. I didn’t smoke, drink, or use any type of drugs. I went to church regularly. I went every Tuesday, Saturday, and twice on Sunday. I also payed my tithes faithfully. In my own eyes I was by all accounts a “good person”. Psalms 16:25 states, “ There is a way that seemth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death”.  Everytime I read this scripture, I felt as though someone had cut my belly with a knife, but I couldn’t understand why. As a matter of fact, reading the bible was quite a chore for me. It almost always ended in tears, I came out feeling like Pacquiao in a Mayweather fight. The stories and parables I read filled me with fear and shame. I remember thinking myself, How come I can’t watch horror movies, if I have to read this scary book. The bible makes Stephen King look soft. I was so afraid of being punished by God. Then I would read about the deciples and feel like I could never match up to all that’s required to truly follow God. I never felt good enough. Eventually I stopped reading and attending church altogether.<i>
      </i>

Now that I attend Word of Faith I’m getting a better understanding of what it really means to live a spirit filled life. I’m starting to realize I don’t have to do anything by my own power because God’s spirit lives within me. Philippians 4:13 states, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” In conclusion I find, to be a sons of God means to trust in God, and to live by his spirit according to his perfect will.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The topic ‘The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 1: October 9-15, 2016’ is closed to new replies.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center