Home Forums Layperson’s II – Section 2 – Spirit Controlled Life The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 5: (November 6 – November 12, 2016)

The Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum – Week 5: (November 6 – November 12, 2016)

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Spirit Controlled Life – Discussion Forum  – Week 5

Welcome to Layperson’s Bible School, Spirit Controlled Life course.  We are going to have an exciting time digging deeper into the scriptures concerning this subject.  For our fifth week forum view the video below by Bishop Keith A. Butler entitled, “Meekness Equals Power, Pt. 1  and 1b” and take good notes.  STOP AND POST YOUR INITIAL RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS TO BEFORE VIEWING THE VIDEO’S. 

QUESTIONS:   

1) What did you believe meekness was prior to viewing this video.

2) After viewing how has your understanding changed? 

3) What part of this message really spoke to your heart?  How do you plan to apply it to your life?  

No peeking at other students responses before posting your own.

RULES FOR THE FORUM:  The forum opens every Sunday, In our forum discussions, you will post your response to my question(s) and then post a response to two (2) of your classmates to receive full credit.  Don’t forget to check your grammar and spelling because you will be graded on it.   I can’t wait to read your responses.  Enjoy the video!!!!!

The tone of every post should be professional and NOT personally attacking in any way. The goal is not for everyone to agree but for everyone to handle disagreement in a Christ-like manner.  Any questions you have regarding the topic should to address to the instructor.  The discussion forum is not the place for advice or counsel. If that need arises, please handle it through private e-mail or discussion with Pastor Walker.

Raphael Ottley
      Participant

What did you believe meekness was prio to viewing this video? Prio to the video I have alway think that meekness was humbleness not weakness but with a soft heart not letting no one punch you around .Meekness is a blessing for all believers and that God have it for all his children. The blessing what God have for you it will produce everything he has in store for you. But the strongest man is the most meek of all and he is always humble and no easy to get upset with people he meet or try to get him mad.

After viewing how has your understanding changed? Viewing this didn’t changed my understanding because that what I think meekness isn’t weaknesses . Bishop just shine more light on meekness for me now I know that meekness give you power in your life and the meekness show that you have control in your life all the time even when the devil come up in people you met.

The whole message make me know that I need to let God meekness come into my life so I didn’t have to put part of the messages to apply to me . So I plan to pray to my Heavenly Father t-o give me more of the spirit of meekness in my life so when people temp me I will show them the love of God is working on the inside of me and I know tha t meekness don’t mean that I am weak or afraid but strong in the lord . And will wait for his blessing for me in his heavenly kingdom.

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

Awesome post Raphael. I love when Bishop spoke about the bully that was constantly taking his money. A person who is humble does not have to go around trying to convince people that he/she is big and bad. A humble person can have the strength to walk away from those situations because their pride is not easily bruised. Jesus is always hands down the best example of this. Jesus could have easily called on His Father to help him when he was being crucified, but He chose to walk in humility and love. He did not need to prove to them that He has a Father who is creator of all things. He did not have to fight back and ask God to send His angels. He set out to finish what His Father sent Him to do and took the beating and the shame for us all. Then He asked God to forgive them through it all. Glory to God.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

Prior to listening to Pastor Butler’s service on Meekness, I though meekness to be just a disposition of softness and gentleness, a non-complaining type of person. I never ready thought about the attributes of this disposition.

Pastor Butler taught those that walk-in Meekness produces the stirring up of the Blessings. He spoke on the many attribute a believer can possess having this position. Meekness is a perquisite to obtaining all that God promises. Psalms 22:26 “The Meek shall eat and be satisfied. They shall praise the Lord that seek him” Psalms 37: 11 says  “The meek shall inherit the earth.” Walking in meekness will cause a beliver to be able to receive that promise God has made. Isaiah 29:19 “The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord.” Meekness will cause your joy to grow, because when you walk in meekness you’ll find that meekness cause strength to happen, it’ll cause the things that believers are believing for to come to pass. Meekness will put believers in a place where the enemy can’t win against them. meekness = Strength=power. Walking in it has the blessings in it’s totality. It produces blessings. 1st it produces peace for you and others. 2nd It will cause you to receive your promise land. 3rd Psalm 25:9 “The meek will he guided in judgment and the meek will he tough His ways.”

The entire passage / videos spoke to my heart because it gave life to the word / disposition of Meekness and change that dominate meekness thought, into a live living tool of meekness. It’s a tool for directions to the promise land / to obtain Gods promise. It’s the reason most of us seek His ways. It’s why we attend WOF and are participating in the school of laypersons.

The way I intend to apply Meekness into my life is by first gaining self-control, working on being slow to give or take offense. Be humble in spirit, lowly in mind and remain teachable.   Once I can accomplish these dispositions, it will be easier., I can then begin cultivating the fruit of meekness. This must be done by fasting and not having self-interest, denying self.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Hi. Dee,

the Bishop gid give us a lot of information on the benefits of the spirit of the fruit of meekness that is accessible in the life of a believer in the video.  I too like some of my fellow classmate will apply the teachings of meekness in my life by being slow to anger, patience with others and gentle in words. I will always try to remain teachable to all thinges converting the ward of God and his ways

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

Mrs. Hodge

It was a pleasurereading your thread it realy summed up the information in the videos. The part that really spoke to me is when he talked about misinterpreting someone’s passion for disrespect. I can honestly say I have a tendency to be overly sensitive, so I can definately where you are coming from on that end. I pray the lord spirit continues to guide as we strive to be more like him.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Good read sister Denise, I especially like when you said walking in meekness enables you to receive the blessing in its totality.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with brother Ralph, prior to this video, I always associated meekness with soft heartedness, Bishop just gave life to this disposition and tough how meekness is in fact a strength that has life and the highest attributes.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Brother Ottley, I agree with you whole heartedly–great post.

Rhonda
        Participant

Raphael, Bishop Butler’s video also helped me to see how meekness gives us power and enables us to have self-control. I now know that meekness does not mean weakness.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Brother Raphael, I like the fact that meekness enables us to received the blessing from God.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”><span style=”font-size: 90%;”></span></span><span style=”font-size: 90%;”>Raphael, I like where you said that meekness means that you are in control.  You are choosing to yield to the spirit of meekness.  When we do otherwise, we get into our flesh and something that was minor can turn into something major.  That meek spirit is what allows us to have that soft answer that turns away wrath.</span><span style=”text-decoration: underline;”><span style=”font-size: 90%;”></span></span><span style=”font-size: 90%;”></span>

Rhonda
      Participant

Prior to watching the video, I believed that meekness meant to be humble, weak and quite. I always associated the word to be meek or quite as a mouse.

After viewing the video by Bishop Butler, my understanding of the meaning of meekness in the Bible has changed. As believers we should walk in the meekness and lowliness of heart, because meekness equals power, wisdom and strength. I’ve learned that meekness produces in these five areas: 1. The blessing; 2. Peace for me and others and cause me to receive my promise land; 3. Cause my joy to grow; 4. God will give the me good judgment and teach me his ways; 5. Revelation of God’s ways. We can still stand again injustice with a righteous fury and be blessed of God.

The part of the message that really spoke to my heart was the examples of person’s in the Bible that were described as very meek but were not weak. In Numbers 12:3, Moses is described as very meek, above all the men that were upon the earth. Moses was the Father of Israel’s independence, poet, prophet, lawgiver, liberator, author of the first 5 books of the Bible and spoke to God face to face. A weak man would have never gone before the King and command him to let God’s people go or lead millions of people through the wilderness for 40 years. When God got angry with Israel and wanted to kill them, Moses stood between God and the nation of Israel and told God that if he killed them, to kill him also. Moses was the greatest and most powerful man of his generation.

Also, in Matthew 11:29, Jesus described himself as meek and lowly of heart and told us to take his yoke upon us and learn of him. Meekness doesn’t mean that we have to let the world run over us or be someone’s carpet. According to Bishop Butler, being meek puts us into a place whereby we will be fulfilled, burdens castoff and strong in Christ and successful.

I plan on applying this message to my life by being more conscience that meekness is something that I must decide to put on daily. I’ve learned that meekness is a by-product of the Holy Spirit being in control of my life and the key to a blessed life. For me that means that I can stay in control of how I react and not walk after the flesh, be humble of mind, forgive others, and manage stressful situations better.

Pamesha Perez
        Participant

I love your post Rhonda! You hit the nail on the head for me! I was so inspired when Bishop talked about the story of Moses. He had done greater things than King David, who we know was after God’s own heart. I would imagine that he was constantly praised and admired by others because of all these great miracles and accomplishments. Yet, Moses remained humble through it all and took no credit for it. Now that’s strength. I know I am telling on myself, but even I would have probably been impressed by parting the Red Sea! 🙂

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Hi Rhonda,
        Before this video, I’ve never paused and thought about how strong Moses had to have been to perform the task God gave him. I didn’t consider him being meek, and I know that was because my definition of meekness according to God’s Word was off. Moses was definitely a great man, as you’ve pointed out in your post. You make me want to go back and read about him all over again! You’re soo right, a weak man couldn’t have walked in those shoes!!
        My goodnes, and Jesus…the greatest demonstration of the word!!!! He didn’t become irritated, showed gentleness and forgiveness, didn’t repay with evil…He exemplified all four definitions given by Bishop Butler. A weak man definitely couldn’t have done what He did for us all!!

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

I agree with Rhonda two words that are always associated with meekness are weakness and to be quiet as a mouse–great post.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Sister Rhonda, to me it all boils down to “let go and let God.” Trusting in God to do his part while you do yours, which is lowliness of mind. That’s what Moses and Jesus had to do while leading the people to the promise land and salvation, they had to trust God and lead not to their understanding.That is humility.

Donna Riley
        Participant

My idea of meekness is basically the same as yours Rhonda. When I first saw pictures of Christ, I always thought He looked frail and weak.  Now that I know according to the Bible what He did look like and what meekness really means, in no way do I now have the impression that Jesus was weak at all.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

Yes Rhonda the word that bishop speak teach us that we should be very meek to everyone we met in life even if their are ungreatful to you .

Pamesha Perez
      Participant

Prior to watching the video, my understanding of meekness has not changed much. I believe to be meek is to be humble and lowly. During my written assignment, I found that all of the fruits of the Spirit equals power-not just meekness. However, meekness does give us the most power. As Pastor preached about last week, to be last is to be first.

There are a few things that spoke to me, but one in particular is the story of Moses. I didn’t realize how meek he really was until after watching the video.  Moses was so meek that God did great miracles through him. He had a known temper and speech impediment, but because of his humility no one did greater miracles until Jesus. I will continue to pray and ask God to develop my meekness.

Ezrikah Aska
      Participant

In my opinion, meekness means being humble. It says that an individual won’t have a “my way or the highway” mindset, insisting on their own way of doing things. They’re easy to get along with and a pleasure to work and be around. This person definitely doesn’t have an obedience issue. Softspoken, not confrontational, shy, gentle, and seemingly weak are some of the words that come to mind. I think because of their character, they’re pushed over by others.
      After viewing these teachings, I see now that I had meekness all wrong!! My prior impression of what it meant to be a meek individual is totally opposite from what Bishop Butler has explained through God’s Word. Where I felt that this was a sign of being weak, he’s shown that it’s actually an attribute of strength and spiritual maturity in a person. Jesus was sent to the meek, the meek are important to God. There’s soo much in store for those who are meek!!
      The part of this message that really jumped out at me was where Bishop Butler says having meekness enables me to walk into MY promise land!! I never thought this would be a hindrance for me, and that’s because my perspective was soo wrong. I need this to help me fulfill the calling of God on my life. From now on, and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I am going to work at cultivating meekness. Clarity has showed me where I’ve been missing the mark in this area.

Lilly Chalwell
        Participant

Sister Ezrikah, I like that meekness will allow us to enter into the promise land, it will also allow us to be blessed by God.

Denise Torres-Hodge
        Participant

I also like sister Ezrikahz’s initial impression of meekness being a humble person, and after viewing Bishop Butler teachings, learned it was very different from that tough. I also appreciated learning that walking in meekness will cause a believer to receive the promise land.

Marita Smith
      Participant

Before viewing the video which I have not been able to view as yet because of technical difficulties it’s not showing up on my page.

In my opinion I believe meekness is being humble in spirit and lowly in mind, not easily angered, self-controlled and slow to give or take offense. A meek person is teachable apt to learn, they walk in humility towards others by denying themselves and putting others first.

Raphael Ottley
        Participant

If as believers we should show meekness to anyone at anytime even if you don’t have a good friendship with them . But all time you should have the meekness of God with us for life.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
      Participant
      1. What did you believe meekness was prior to viewing this video? I know from sermons I have heard before and reading books that meekness is not the same as weakness–as the world implies it is. As a matter of fact, in my opinion it is the most powerful fruit of all.
      2. After viewing how has your understanding changed? After viewing my understanding still remain the same–meekness is not weakness–meekness equals power.
      3. What part of this message really spoke to your heart? How do you plan to apply it to your life? The part of the message that really spoke to my heart is in reference to what meekness will produce:
        1. Meekness will produce the blessing
        2. Meekness will produce peace and inheritance
        3. Meekness will teach you God’s ways
        4. Meekness will enable you to teach good tidings
        5. Meekness will give you a promotion from God
        6. Meekness will enable you to be lowly of heart
        7. Walking in meekness is required to completely fulfill your calling/destiny
        8. Put on Meekness
      4. How do I plan to apply it to my life? Continuously praying, Lord keep me lowly in heart–help me to not be impress with myself or think more highly than I am. Amen

Rhonda
        Participant

Pamela, I like your response in reference to how you to plan to apply what you learned to yourself. “Continuously praying, Lord keep me lowly in heart–help me to not be impress with myself or think more highly than I am.” This is my prayer request too.

Celise Mahoney
        Participant

Hi. Pamela,

I agree with your statement that we all should put on the spirit of meekness and walk in the powerabd supply of blessings it brings to our lives.the fruits of the spirit are indeed connect to one another, which causes them to flow together.  Meekness does have it’s promises according to the word of God so does the other eight fruits of the spirit.  I hope I didn’t say anything to offend anyone in my reply. It is just a difference of understanding of the word

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Hi Pamela,
        I really like how you’ve pointed out the strengths of meekness, it shows that its not a character trait that I would want to continue taking for granted.
        Like yourself, I ask God to please keep me humble. Its awkward sometimes when people insist on giving me the praise , because I know that all praises belong to God. I don’t want to come off as unappreciative that they were blessed by the gift that God has given me, I make it my first response to say “glory to God”, I never want to think that I did it all. Keep us all humble Lord.

Lilly Chalwell
      Participant

Prior to viewing this video, I always associated meekness as being gentle, calm, nice to others, patience, loving, and admirable. I have found that when a person is meek, people tense to gravitate to them easily. In contrast, most people associated it with weakness, people today do not admire others for being meek. They use it as an opportunity to take advantage of others by bullying or intimidating. However, It’s an attitude of humility toward God and gentleness toward people. I believe that to be meek, one needs confidence, not in oneself but the Lord. Additionally, meekness is the result of a person’s conscious choice to trust in God and lean on Him, as opposed to pushing for one’s own ways. Meekness arises out of strength, not weakness
      The part of the message that really spoke to my heart is when Bishop stated, Meekness cause you to receive from God, and that when you walk in meekness, you receive the blessing from God. By knowing meekness causes me to receive the blessing from God, I will faithfully practice meekness in my life. Meekness is the absolute ceasing to fight for our agenda and believing that God will fight on our behalf.

Stacy Gregoire
        Participant

Lily, I like when you said being meek means that you have confidence, not in yourself, but in God.  A meek spirit says, I don’t have to go on with anything.  God has got this for me.”

Donna Riley
        Participant

Well said Lilly.  Confidence is a must in achieving success. Confidence does not mean arrogance.  As Bishop Butler said a meek person knows the power behind him, but is not so inflated that he has to show it off.  That’s true humility.

Stacy Gregoire
      Participant

I wrote my paper on the fruit of meekness.  Since I studied that fruit prior to watching the video I knew that meek did not mean weak and that the meek are slow to give or take offense.  However, I have to answer the first question in a different way.  Prior to studying the fruit of meekness, I thought that meekness meant that a person was quiet, humble and didn’t cause any problems.  My impression of a meek person was someone who was a doormat and let people take advantage of them.  In short I associated meek with weak.  This still didn’t make sense to me because I thought I was pretty meek but I definitely don’t think of myself as weak.

After watching Bishop Butler’s video my understanding of the fruit of meekness has grown more from what I had learned while writing my paper.  Meekness leads to so many things – peace, our inheritance, good judgement, revelation of God’s ways, promotion and blessing.

The part of the message that spoke to my heart is when Bishop Butler said that meekness will be needed to fulfill my  calling.  Truly, it doesn’t matter what you are called to do, if you don’t have a meek spirit, you won’t be able to carry out the mission.  If you are easily offended, puffed up or quick to offend people aren’t going to receive what you have to say about Jesus.  I plan to continue cultivating this fruit in my life and making a conscious choice to “put on” that spirit of meekness daily as I represent Him.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Very good point Stacy we can only access what God has already provided for us through a meek spirit. Our mission here on earth is to fulfill his plan and his purpose and he is only going to use the people he can trust, not puffed up or full of self.

A meek spirit only bring you closer to God and in the will of God for your life.

Donna Riley
      Participant

I thought meekness was turning the other cheek.  I thought it meant being humble and not fighting back when attacked. I thought humble meant I could not respond to anything or anyone in a negative manner. My defense would be no defense. I would not do anything to remedy a situation, but wait on God believing He would fix it. Just be a nice person. In other words, being a wuss (sorry) or a coward.

I definitely had it wrong. Meekness is certainly not waiting around for God to fix the problems. He said He has done everything already. I just have to take charge and use the tools He has provided.  Meekness is one of them. Meekness gets me to the place where I will be able to receive the promises God made to me. The end results of meekness brings fulfillment and burdens are cast off.  It makes me strong in the Lord and successful. I do believe though, that once meekness becomes a part of my lifestyle; that is being gentile and forgiving, submissive and teachable, not to render evil for evil, but to overcome evil with good, God will vindicate me keeping me from harm.

Several parts of the message spoke to my heart. I may have shied away from meekness in the past because I thought it was a form of weakness. I like when Bishop Butler said, “It neither means to surrender our rights nor cowardness. It is not someone who can be trampled on, is someone who can be angry, but has control, who can forgive others, knowing how to operate under the most stressful situations.”  I want to be blessed, receive my promise land, inherit the earth, eat and be satisfied and increase my joy in the Lord. Because Bishop Butler said that God is the greatest teacher anyone can have. It makes me want to spend more time in the Word.  Bishop Butler said, “God knows more about the economy, he knows more about finance, he knows more about physicality, he knows more about raising children, he know more about marriage, he knows more about any subject you could dream about because he made them all.  If he is teaching you something there is no error in it and it is the right way and whatever he teaches you to do will work because it is the master teacher teaching. Who gets to access all of this?  The meek.”  This again requires me to spend more time in the Word.

The enemy will take all that you will allow him to take. Then there comes a time when enough is enough.  I say this is the time. Bishop Butler says the man that walks in meekness will have the strength to hit the enemy where it hurts. In other words the strength to take your stuff back.  This is what I plan to implement in my life now.  I told Satan everything you stole from me I want it all back.  To do this I must cultivate each fruit in my life and apply them to the situations that arise in my life. Being aware of the needs of others around me is important. Participating in the ministries in church is also important. I plan to continue in prayer, which will not only make me sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit, but it will give me the confidence to respond to His instructions immediately without reservations or fear.

Marita Smith
        Participant

Donna you are so right meekness is not weekness but it’s the right to get angry and still be in control and not let people walk all over you. Meekness also helps us to gain the promises and blessings that God already has provided for us, also helps us to walk in forgiveness that we can gain access those promises and blessings.

The development of the Fruit of Meekness can only be accomplish through the help of the Holy Spirit. When you have come to a realization of how necessary the Fruit of Meekness is needed in your lives, then as Bishop Keith Butler said “walking in meekness will get you to a place where you can received the promise.”The good news is meekness is not weakness but those who walking in meekness stir up the blessing of God and all that God has for them on the inside out. AMEN!

Ezrikah Aska
        Participant

Donna, you brought it home for me when you said you thought beeing meek was being a “wuss” 🙂 That’s exactly what satan wants us to continue thinking. This is helping me to understand why some people react to situations the way they do. They don’t get all upset or fight back like I would be expecting them to, and that would annoy me to my core because I just couldn’t understand it. But now that I have a higher viewpoint, I can see that they were operating in meekness.
        Yes, I do agree, enough is enough and I have to stop allowing the devil to take anything else from me. It’s time to fight back my true enemy.

Celise Mahoney
      Participant

Before watching the video of Bishop Butler,  I thought meekness was a person who possessed a humble and contrite spirit.Someone with a gentle and kind manner. A tender heart person who consider the feeling of others and a forgiving person with a doormat attitude.

After watching the video my opinion of meekness i have been enlightened  to the point where, Bishop explains that meekness is a very powerful fruit of the spirit. In Matt 11:28-30 Jesus  tells us to come unto him, all ye that are heavy leaden, and I will give you rest; take my yoke upon you, and learn of me for I am meek and lowl in heart;  and he shall find rest for your souls.

I have learned that the meekness  Bishop taught on in the video shows that meekness is not weaknesses, but power, strength  in the character or nature of Jesus. Here are some of the promises that Jesus promises to the believer who operates in meekness.

Gen: 24:1- Th blessing of Abraham might come upon you as his seed. Through the blessing we will have the power to live long healthy lives, a wealthy life, have high esteem with others and your family will do well also. When we walk in meekness,  we stir up the blessings of God and he wipes out all the work of the enemy has against you.  Ps 22:26- The meek shall eat and be satisfied.  When we operate enough in meekness and be lowly in heart not boastful or a show off, we shall be satisfied to overflowing where we see the manifestation of meekness in our lives. Ps 37:11.  I have also learned that meekness equals strength.  You don’t have to be the loudest or most boastful person, just the meekess. This person have confidence in who he is,  who is behind him and most important what he can do with the word of God in his innerman. He doesn’t need physical strength,  because he doesn’t inflated with himself.  Ps37:11 meekness brings peace to you and others it wii cause you to receive the promises in vision and dreams that God has place on your heart to come to pass.

Is: 29:19 Meekness promise to give  me God’s  Good judgment in all my decisions and he will teach me in his way. Bishop said you cannot miss with God’s judgment, because he teaches you his ways and they are without era, it’s the right way. God doesn’t need an eraser or white out. God ways bad judgements are always perfect. Meekness reveals God’s ways. This is the part where Bishop talked about the young man who use to bully all the kids in the neighborhood.  Until one day when he had enough and took action. That is the same way the enemy operates.if you let him he will bully you into  giving up the fight. But with the power of meekness operating in your life you’ able to stand and stomp on the enemy. The spirit of the fruit of meekness brings with it God’s promotion for your life and when God uplifts and promotes you, victory is your all the time.

The part in the video that  really touched my spirit is in the beginning when Bishop spoke on Matt 11:28-30. WhereJesus was exhorting us to come unto him, all that are heavy leaden, and he will give us rest for our souls.  Sometimes in our lives we become extremely busy with all kind of things we think are important,  which brings with it cares, stress, worry, and all the other worldly burdens that weigh down our very minds, souls and spirit.  But when we walk in the fruits of the spirit, the character of Jesus,  especially meekness then we will truly find  ease, relief, refreshment and rest for our very souls.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Celise, I’m in agreement with your post. In the area of what touched you most I also agree that at times we allow ourselves to become so busy with the cares of this world when Jesus had specifically tell us to come unto him all those that are heavy laden for his yoke is easy. We must take it to the altar and leave it there. It isn’t our burden to bear, he is willing and able to take care of us. We must cultivate the fruit of our spirit so that we can walk in our God given authority.

Jettanyia Gumbs
        Participant

I too thought meekness was about being a doormat. I can honestly say I’ve lived so many years of my life this way thinking this is what God required of me. Just about everyone that knows me would describe me as a doormat. I’d often get mad with God about it too. This entire message has touched me in a big way. I pray the Lord continues to teach me the meaning of true meekness.

Pamela Browne-Hodge
        Participant

Great post sister Celise I enjoyed reading the part when you said “Sometimes in our lives we become extremely busy with all kind of things we think are important,  which brings with it cares, stress, worry, and all the other worldly burdens that weigh down our very minds, souls and spirit.” It reminds me of when “multitasking” was the big buzz word in corporate America.

Marita Smith
      Participant

After I viewed the video my understanding changed because I realized that meekness is not just being humble, quiet, kind and gentle. But meekness will cause us to receive everything that God has promised us.
      Sometimes people take your meekness for weekness, I found out meekness is not weekness at all It is actually equals power. Power to deliver and power to manifest, because we have the master; God himself teaching us everything we need to know, he will give us good judgement, he doesn’t teach in error his teaching is always the right way that will produce the blessings, peace, and revelations of God’s way and the meek gets to access that.

The part of the message that really spoke to my heart was that after Jesus returned from the wilderness after being there forty days & forty nights the first thing he was called to do was to preach blessings, good tidings to the meek, that tells me that God the father has us on his mind and he is interested in our well being.(Isaiah 61:1)
      Also in Psalms 147:6 It talks about how he lifted up the meek, means meekness will cause us to be promoted, and that no one can take us down, even tho they will try, they can’t touch us,if God is for us who can be against us? Amen!!

My plans is to have a teachable heart always willing to learn, no one can kno all. I also plan to cultivate meekness in my life so I can access the blessings, promises, and the peace that God has promised me.

Monica Harrigan
        Participant

Marita, I’m in agreement with your post and like that you also desire a teachable heart. There is so much for us to learn as it pertains to life and where Jesus fits in. With a submissive and teachable heart we are opening ourselves to blessings in each and evety area of our lives.

Walter Brown
        Participant

Marita that part of the message does really show how God has us on his mind continually, where in that scripture Psalm 147:6 “The Lord lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground. And in verse 11. He says He the The Lord taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy. This in it self says it all. Glory to you Lord.
        ‭‭

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>My definition of meekness before watching the videos:</span>

In my opinion meekness means not lashing out at people when you are angry. It means being quite even when you want to yell at someone. It means not always having to be right, or having the last word in everything. It means giving someone else a chance to speak even if you know the answers. True meekness is to be without pride.

Monica Harrigan
      Participant

Prior to watching the video I thought that in addition to being, kind, humble and gentle that a meek person was also a weak person. In all honesty I’ve only saw the gentleness, humbleness  and kindness exhibited in a meek person, but never saw the weakness portrayed.  I only characterized weakness along with the other attributes.

After viewing the video I now have a complete and better understanding of meekness. Meekness is in no way related to weakness. It is quite the opposite. Meekness actually represents power. I must say based on some of the examples that Bishop Butler gave, strength and power are needed. For instance, who can be patient under injury, who can be angry yet restrain wrath. It takes strength to be in total control of your emotions.

The part of the message that really spoke to my heart were the list of benefits available to the meek. Blessings  are available to the meek. In the beginning of 2015 I prayed for meekness especially in the area of not allowing myself to be provoked or allowing myself to become angry even if anger could the natural response in a particular situation. I was unaware of the blessings that were already available to the meek.

I plan to apply meekness in my life when strife and confrontation arises. I don’t always have to respond in those situations. I can now use meekness as another form of strength and remain cool and calm even if I have suffered injury. I want to be a peacemaker, to be submissive and teachable. Knowing that I can walk in my blessings simply from cultivating the fruit of Meekness.

Rhonda
        Participant

Monica, the examples you listed from Bishop Butler reiterates that strength and power are indeed needed to demonstrate meekness.  Who can be patient under injury, who can be angry yet restrain wrath. It takes strength to be in total control of your emotions. Selah!

Walter Brown
        Participant

Monica I can relate to what you to the examples I to have had people irritate me and had to let them have a piece of my mind, but I know better now.

Walter Brown
      Participant

Wow prior to viewing this video I really thought meekness was just turning the other cheek and humbling oneself. But this taught me that true humbleness allows you to let God fight for you. Put down your pride. Our nasty ways of thinking change our outlook on things and adapt to Gods way. Meekness means power gives us true understanding of God truly taking care of you like He said in 1peter 5:7 “casting all your cares [all your anxieties, all your worries, and all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares about you [with deepest affection, and watches over you very carefully].”
      ‭‭ It also shows me that in God one I truly humble my self put my trust and belief in Him He surely will do like He said in Hebrews 11:6 once is truly seek Him But without faith it is impossible to [walk with God and] please Him, for whoever comes [near] to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He rewards those who [earnestly and diligently] seek Him.”

After viewing my understanding has changed. I truly must repent and change my way of thinking. Allow God to be God.

The part of the message that got me the most was just how to humble our selves period. And truly let God take care of use take us out the equation. We really don’t have to fight battles at all when we do we mess it up big time. All I can do is laugh at God and how awesome he truly is.

‭‭

Jettanyia Gumbs
      Participant

After veiwing the video I now understand the true power of meekness. True meekness takes self discipline and desp.trust in God. Its the understanding  of knowing its better for God to fight our battles.  Ephesians 6:12 states, “We fight not against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness…in high places.”. If I remember this each time I face obstacles in life, I can change the way I react. I dont have to loose control because God is in control.

I will aply this principle to my life first through prayer. I will ask the lord to show me the difference between meekness, weakness, and timidity. I will ask him to teach me boldness as well, and when to use it. Next, use the examples in God’s of meakness and find oppertunities to apply them to my everyday life. I just really need the Lord the show how to be humble without feeding into low self esteem and self image. These are areas where I struggle so I really need continued guidance in this.

<h4>Prior to viewing this video I always believed meekness to be one who was poor, weak or a walk over. My beliefs concerning a meek person came from what I was taught growing up in school and also from society’s view of the word.  The online dictionary described meekness as a person that is not violent or strong.</h4>
      <span style=”font-size: 100%;”>However, after viewing this video, I have a drastically different view of the word. To the point that I consider myself  as possessing the fruit of meekness. I have not perfected it, however, I choose everyday to remain in full control of my emotions and my actions towards others. I try especially hard on my job to walk in the fruit of meekness.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 100%;”>This video, however, made me realize the power and the many blessings one can possess, who choses to walk in the fruit of meekness. What spoke to my heart the most is the revelation found in Psalm 147:6, The Lord lift up the meek: He cast the wicked to the ground. This means promotion, imagine the benefits found in being meek. Thank God for revelation and knowledge.</span>
      <h4></h4>

Well said Marita, meekness is not a  weakness, rather it is actually a true display of power.  Power to deliver and power to manifest all of God’s many blessings in our lives. If we would allow him, the Holy Spirit himself will teach us all things that that pertains unto life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

It is evident, by everyone’s response that prior to the viewing of Bishop video that we all had a different view on the word meekness. Thank God that through this forum we are being enlighten and we are growing in a closer relationship with Jesus. Continue, Lord to increase our knowledge in you so that we can walk this earth in the power and authority that you have invested in us through your sacrifice.

Amen

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2015 Copyright Word of Faith International Christian Center